ChOMP CHOMP!....another Space Sharks WIP

dr. dwarf

hello all,

I recently got into 40k, and after reading the awesome fluff for space sharks on here and looking at the artwork, I decided I too would make my first chapter the Space Sharks. While I haven't played a game yet because I want to create my units and paint em up first, I figured I keep a blog as a tracker of progress (as well as keep me painting too). I know alot of other folks have jumped on the shark train and you all are probably tired of Space Shark WIP's, but its all I got at the moment save sof WHFB Dwarfs from Skull Pass I kinda gave up on. Anyway here is my progress so far:

gallery_51133_4382_15224.jpg

first completed tactical squad minus sergeant

gallery_51133_4382_76599.jpg

first guys I completed

gallery_51133_4382_14921.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_14548.jpg

My sergeant/captain/chapter master with the squad

gallery_51133_4382_69446.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_95484.jpg

I want to make my next batch more like the artwork I saw on here (forgive me I cant remember the post) so I got a bit of greenstuff and I may go back and add some shark teeth an whatnot. I alsot have to get the all important shoulder badges too, just may hold off on that along with basing until all 40+ guys I have are complete :P

Thanks for looking!

LITTLE UPDATE!

Here is some photos of the 2nd tac squad in various states of progress:

gallery_51133_4382_41624.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_144293.jpg

leading the charge!

gallery_51133_4382_173564.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_42348.jpg

I feel I messed the skin up on this guy but it looks kinda ok in the pic. Only shooting for tabletop quality with these guys anyway :lol:

gallery_51133_4382_58918.jpg

marines in different stages of work

gallery_51133_4382_6374.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_43609.jpg

this sergeant was a bitch to paint! I think he's an AoBR guy and he had the absolute worst sculpt ever combined with abuse from its previous ebay owner. even his pointing finger is gone! (maybe thats why he's angry!?)

:sweat: Thanks for looking!! :D

Looking great dude, I'd say these are a little above tabletop quality, very nice. You might want to steal the idea of painting shark's eyes and teeth on the helmet from another Shark's WIP that I saw on here. Post some more pics when you get more done.

Very nice and clean Sharks. Haven't seen lots of them lately ^^

When will you get around painting the markings and chapter badges?

I think I'm going to make some decals for the chapter markings. I have intermittingly put squad markings on some like the arrow for tac squads and whatnot.

Looking great dude, I'd say these are a little above tabletop quality, very nice. You might want to steal the idea of painting shark's eyes and teeth on the helmet from another Shark's WIP that I saw on here. Post some more pics when you get more done.

Alot of the inspiration is from the guy who runs the GW pertinent blog with his Sharks. I plan to put like the A-10 warthog shark eyes n' teeth on my vehicles (2x rhinos , landspeeder, and now a land raider!) and the teeth on my beakie guys when I get to them.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update here, got some some poor quality pics of some scouts I'm working on. Hopefully I'll be able to get outside this week to take some under natural lighting:

gallery_51133_4382_43090.jpg

Don't know what kind of camo pattern you would call this, it just sorta happened :P

gallery_51133_4382_1282.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_17038.jpg

The indoor lighting I have is probably the worst ever, even with my B&CS printed out background it still messes up the photos.

gallery_51133_4382_8315.jpg

A new powerfist sarge I got in the works.....who is that skulking about in the background?!

Better pics comin' soon!~

I really dig the camo on your scouts. ;)

Thanks, its the first camo pattern I have ever painted. Thank god this is fantasy, because I dont know how well that pattern would protect them in the real world!

Crazy Good Job Mate :lol:

Thanks! I'm trying to up the quality on the scouts because I dont have as many and they're the first new models I've bought (all the marines so far have been second hand fixer-uppers). I also got Sgt. Telion painted up and based ( first attempt at basing - its not too great), I'll get him on here soon.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE 2-1-10!!

With roommates moving out and fiance's moving in, I have been quite busy, but now I have steady access to a camera so expect more updates more frequently (well hopefully).

Scouts are now complete even added a "special" sergeant to them! These pics arent the best but it was cold outside so forgive me! I have to say that the plastic scout model's faces are rubbish. Not alot of detail in the face for shadows and and stuff so I'm not to happy with the "exposed" face scouts. I actually did a better job on the guys who are aiming there rifles I think - but you cant see there faces much ;) Oh well, on with the pics!

gallery_51133_4382_147136.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_49719.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_35593.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_53349.jpg

Who is that?! is that....Telion!?

gallery_51133_4382_140022.jpg

Yes I know his base is darker, he gets a different base because he's TELION! Probably one of the best minis (as well as faces) I have painted to date - which isnt that many compared to most folks on here :)

gallery_51133_4382_58699.jpg

Everyone else getting basework and decals

gallery_51133_4382_97208.jpg

This guy is on the bench for next unit to be painted. I've started doing my HQ's in white primer and my grunts in the good ol' black primer. The white primer REALLY made Telion alot better.

gallery_51133_4382_11873.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for all the comments, it lets me know what people like and dont like which makes me (hopefully) become a better painter.

Interesting thing on the lenses:

On the guy looking back and grimacing I had to make his goggle lenses with a bit of optical illusion that, to my suprise, actually worked out pretty well. His original goggle lense (like the guy to his left) broke off and was lost, so I too took some greenstuff and made two squarish pieces with flat fronts, fashioned them on to the goggle base, then primed him up. When it came time to paint the lenses, I painted a green circle on each surface then painted them like you would gems. The effect makes it look like he has 3D lenses (though a bit bigger) like his brothers.

Great stuff dr.Dwarf. First time I've seen a Space Shark Chapter. My only regret is the lack of army badges, but you do have one and it completely transforms the model in my opinion. Just in case you don't know there are decal sheets ready to print of the SH in the download section. IIRC there are 2 different types. The one you used is the official GW one. I personally prefer the custom B&C one. I hope to see more pics soon. Congrats and keep up the great work. :)

Great stuff dr.Dwarf. First time I've seen a Space Shark Chapter. My only regret is the lack of army badges, but you do have one and it completely transforms the model in my opinion. Just in case you don't know there are decal sheets ready to print of the SH in the download section. IIRC there are 2 different types. The one you used is the official GW one. I personally prefer the custom B&C one. I hope to see more pics soon. Congrats and keep up the great work. :tu:

Do you mean like badges like tactical marking or devastor markings, or do you mean like chapter insignias ( the omega sign for ultras, blood drops for blood angels ,etc.)? I have all my troops completed with space shark insignia's (check the last photoset) but I have to go back and paint on some tac markings on most of them.

• 8 months later...

After a long hiatus, I picked up the paintbrush and tried out what I think may be my veterna/sternguard paint scheme. They're still a WIP as always and the pictures kinda crappy, but you get the idea:

gallery_51133_4382_31927.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_65260.jpg

Also worked on some lascannon guys:

gallery_51133_4382_34634.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_59080.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_10165.jpg

I need to finish up their bases so they match my other guys. I think they came out pretty good considering this is what they looked like before I put some work into them:

gallery_51133_4382_1530.jpg

Archived