ChOMP CHOMP!....another Space Sharks WIP

dr. dwarf

im with dragon, that termie scheme is awesome.

as for GS the new guy, if you want the curved lightning claws, you cut small pieces from plastic card and attach them and smooth it out. or you can cut off the claws and come up with your own with plasticard like curved claws with lil tiny saw edge to it, just like a sharks tooth in real life.

and for a captain itd be cool to green stuff shark tooth necklace or even around the opening of his armor where his head is, have teeth around the rim. just a thought. it does give a more primal look, not sure if ur into that.

• 1 month later...

The sharks were on a small hiatus while I did some Black Templar work, but now they are back in focus. :lol:

Here is a Rhino I got 2nd hand that when I tried to strip of the fire engine red paint it came caked in, Simple Green wouldnt strip it! I managed to get it down a shade to hunter orange and figured a good black primering would fix the problem, but I was wrong. The primer flaked and cracked, but not bad enough to where it couldnt be painted. I decided to make these lemons into lemonade, attempting to paint said cracks as scratches or paintchipping whne thet time came. I have never painted a Wargaming vehicle in my life, so I hope this thing come out good. Here is the vehicle as it sits for the moment:

gallery_51133_4382_12671.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_5425.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_20620.jpg

The process was Adeptus Grey basecoat > dryscrub of Codex Grey over everything > light drybrush of Fortress grey on hard edges. You can see the aforementioned cracks as well.

The tank treads came out good in my opinion, further weather with a dirt-like paint mix will go on and make them more grimey soon:

gallery_51133_4382_21062.jpg

And here's the paintchip and decal work. So far I think I'm chipping wrong. WHat I've been doing is painting a crack or area I wanter chipped black then filling it a little with boltgun metal and then maybe a little mithril silver to top it off. It either diesnt show up well or doesnt look good so any help doing this type of thing is appreciated. The shark icons are a combo of paint and decal since do-it-yourself decals dont really act right when applying sometimes :) .

gallery_51133_4382_63893.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_383.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_32156.jpg

More to come soon hopefully!

Rhinos looking very snazzy dr.dwarf :tu:

Thanks!

This ol' boy got some teeth today too!

gallery_51133_4382_5465.jpg

I'm trying to make them look worn and painted on instead of like a decal, so thats why there's some grey in them towards the bottom as well as being a lil' un-symetrical without straying into Ork territory hopefully. I dont know how I'll feel about this in the morning and may change it to solid white.

gallery_51133_4382_42291.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_12621.jpg

While I like the teeth, there might be to much contrast between the Rhino teeth and the teeth on the shark chapter symbol. The teeth on the chapter symbol are primarily white with red diamonds for the mouth. The teeth on the front of the Rhino are primarly white with a red line between them. So, in the chapter symbol the top and bottom teeth line up whereas on the Rhino they are alternating. That might be why they seem so Orky.

While I like the teeth, there might be to much contrast between the Rhino teeth and the teeth on the shark chapter symbol. The teeth on the chapter symbol are primarily white with red diamonds for the mouth. The teeth on the front of the Rhino are primarly white with a red line between them. So, in the chapter symbol the top and bottom teeth line up whereas on the Rhino they are alternating. That might be why they seem so Orky.

yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head, I couldnt put a my finger on why it comes off a bit orky to me but now I see it. I was going to try and emulate the icon's teeth but since the rhino's front is so broad I dont know if it would look decent, especially when theres a perfectly good "mouth" shape in the rhinos front body panels.

JUSTICE BEARS, ENGAGE!

I think I just found the next chapter I'm going to do! ;)

Need some thought real quick! I'm toying with the idea of adding eyes to the shark teeth on the front of the rhino, sorta like A-10 Wartog noseart:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uVIL_asRPEo/TXFxA_qqHxI/AAAAAAAABIM/cd2JHnW9ieI/s1600/a_10_closeup.jpg

Here's an old rhino side I use to test stuff out on. What do you all think - Yay or Nay?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Zcw3yPCYe3A/TXFzJMFuNqI/AAAAAAAABIc/R_5J0gSRbN0/s1600/IMG_3840.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hdF_6kE6nfM/TXFyqX3BqQI/AAAAAAAABIU/cqZQAb968HE/s1600/IMG_3837.JPG

• 4 months later...

The Sharks are back after a super long hiatus! Two rhinos have gotten thier teeth and are ready to roll out!

gallery_51133_4382_29390.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_51011.jpg

Looks like they've captured the ironing board

gallery_51133_4382_38680.jpg

I also completed some AOBR terminators:

gallery_51133_4382_43045.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_41460.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_206700.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_18846.jpg

I kept putting off painting this terminator sergeant guy because I thought he looked dumb, but he came out pretty good despite my disliking of the model. Havent painted the powersword yet because I cant decide on a color:

gallery_51133_4382_21536.jpg

So far I got the following left to do:

Paint 1x landspeeder

Paint 1x AOBR dreadnaught

Paint 1x attack bike

Paint 1x command squad

Paint 1x librarian to lead all this stuff

Assemble and paint 1x rhino

Assemble and paint 1x landraider

Assemble and paint 2x bikes

So yeah, things are winding down for the sharks. I'm sure I'll add more units but I want to finish these up and get cracking on my Black Templars for a while. I'm going to do my best to at least get most of this stuff basecoated by Sunday . More to come (and hopefully alot faster! ;) )

Got the ol' Dreadnought finished up today! He's a lil AOBR-style dread, but he packs quite a punch. You dont have to take my word for it, just ask the Dark Eldar below:

gallery_51133_4382_13288.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_49635.jpg

I have horrible lighting in my house so my photos suck, but as you can see this guy hates the alien! I also tried a different banner with a white shark instead of a black one, but it came out looking more like the Boo ghosts from Mario Brothers instead of a shark :)

http://img3.lln.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/1f78e42fdf8d9f8f8dc30ecc0f9abaf51252087524_full.png

gallery_51133_4382_37921.jpg

Dropped the crappy bolters and strapped on a flamer! I was halfway through the DE being put in his grip when I realized I could have modeled one getting burned in the face like the Dawn of War 2 intro Oh well maybe next time.

gallery_51133_4382_35716.jpg

The other half, need some Bounty paper towels ASAP!

Nice Sharks. Btw from IA10 Space Sharks is the low gothic, Carcharodon Astra is the high gothic, so both options are right.

I wouldn't worry about the different chapter badges either, there are many splinter fleets. According to IA10 the marines skin goes grey and they get black eyes as they get older.

Looking pretty good, I like the old school nature of the look to these guys. :D

Thanks! I'm trying to keep with the old scheme and kinda improvise (the termies, vehicles, etc.) when necessary.

Nice Sharks. Btw from IA10 Space Sharks is the low gothic, Carcharodon Astra is the high gothic, so both options are right.

I wouldn't worry about the different chapter badges either, there are many splinter fleets. According to IA10 the marines skin goes grey and they get black eyes as they get older.

Ughh, I wish they would have just kept them Space Sharks instead of cacacacadongs or whatever along with the original paint scheme, I was in about 3 tac squads fully painted when this change happened so no going back now. I have nabbed some names from the forgeworld decal sheet though, and I do have a certain terminator with distinct claw weapons on the table for paint soon :P .

On to the update! I finished up the landspeeder today, but I'm not that happy with it. I made the mistake of assembling this one completely and that made it harder to paint, so I just got real sloppy with it.

gallery_51133_4382_53124.jpg

gallery_51133_4382_13183.jpg

Oh well it looks better than it did when I first got it:

gallery_51133_4382_28452.jpg

I had done some repairs to it (replacing weapon rail, got a complete new radar sensor thingy) and stripped it down from a thick red gore paintjob slopped all over it as of this photo.

More to come, thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my Librarian painted up today. He doesnt look very Space Sharky (what little of his shoulders you can see is grey) but it was a welcome break to use a different color for the power armor. Once again its late and my lighting/camera sucks so not the best pics ever:

gallery_51133_4382_49032.jpg

I've had this mini sitting on my table primed for well over a year and I finally have gotten to finishing him up. I'm not happy with the face and how it came out, but its gonna have to do because I know I'll make it worse if I keep messing with it. The lighting also kills the blue "power eyes" he's got going on too.

I also got some FW multimeltas for a cheap price so these guys are going to be de-mold line'd (is that even a word?!) ,primered, and hopefully painted soon as well.

gallery_51133_4382_35751.jpg

thanks for looking! More to come soon!

Archived