New to chaos

biglou666

hi guys, ive been playin wih marines for 3 years now and was thinking of starting chaos. had a look at the codex, and everything seems really interesting (if a bit more expensive, poinswise). just wondering, how should i start an army, im not looking to get more than 1000 pts, and i also have to come up with a 650 list for a tourney. thanks. ps, noise marines really caught my eye. are they any good in paticular? :tu:

As with most units when it comes to "Are they good" It is a matter of play style.. If you want a shooty army that can shoot while they walk in and then close combat whatever is left. Noise Marines are sort of that play style.

If you want to play chaos... My suggestion would be ignore any fluff book out there and just make your army based off whatever is in the codex.. Currently there is WAY too much contradictory fluff in the codex and in the books and even other codex.

You could field a pretty nice army for 1000 points. Something that will be fun and worthy of a tourny.

i am quite happy about 3 shots a turn from a single man, and for the same cost as sternguard! i think i might do a noise marine army. it is tempting. blast master is a ripoff though. what other units should i incorporate if i want a shooty army, with noise marines for troops?

As with most units when it comes to "Are they good" It is a matter of play style.. If you want a shooty army that can shoot while they walk in and then close combat whatever is left. Noise Marines are sort of that play style.

If you want to play chaos... My suggestion would be ignore any fluff book out there and just make your army based off whatever is in the codex.. Currently there is WAY too much contradictory fluff in the codex and in the books and even other codex.

You could field a pretty nice army for 1000 points. Something that will be fun and worthy of a tourny.

Or, just utilise Counts As as its there to be used, and utilise Cult Units as units for other Gods, for example with my Glutton Cult of Slaanesh, utilising plague marines and Fabius Bile's Altered marines in place of the typical noise marines. Of course, I'd suggest coming up with a good story beforehand, and converting the models (rather than just having green Berzerkers, etc), so as not to be accused of powergaming, which I've seen been done before either on here or Warseer.

I mean, who knew that painting a model green instead of red made it significantly more powerful... :P

Or, just utilise Counts As as its there to be used, and utilise Cult Units as units for other Gods, for example with my Glutton Cult of Slaanesh, utilising plague marines and Fabius Bile's Altered marines in place of the typical noise marines. Of course, I'd suggest coming up with a good story beforehand, and converting the models (rather than just having green Berzerkers, etc), so as not to be accused of powergaming, which I've seen been done before either on here or Warseer.

I mean, who knew that painting a model green instead of red made it significantly more powerful... <_<

The orks did...

1 Obliterator (to take advantage of terrain)

1 Prince, for everything you might face

The rest should be marines and transports, any kind of marines seem fine up to 1000 points. If you prepare to compensate for certain weaknesses, like no good range weapons for zerkers when facing genestealers, and facing hordes when using thousand sons, etc.

In lower points games, Chaos really shines. (they are quite good in general, but really awesome sub-1000pt)

Try a Daemon prince with Mark of Nurgle, wings, and Warptime. Expensive, but devastating!

10-man Chaos Marine squads with 2 matched special weapons, powerfist, Mark of Chaos Glory, in a rhino is arguably the best basic infantry squad in the game... Try it, you will like it!

Archived