Black Templar Techmarine's Signum

Kronk

I just want to make sure my understanding is correct by asking you experienced, professional Space Marine Players. I'm going by memory, so I might not have the wording 100% correct. The Techmarine for the Black Templars carries a signum which states that he or a model in a squad he has joined, attached, or leads, may reroll a failed to-hit roll. I think it also states "in the shooting phase."

In the following examples, the techmarine has joined a crusader squad with a plasma gunner and a plasma cannoneer.

Scenario 1: The plasma gun shoots at a target at range 12"<X<24" and rolls a 2 on his to-hit. Obviously, I can pick that one up and reroll it.

Scenario 2: The plasma gun shoots at a target at range 12"<X<24" and rolls a 1 on his to-hit. I can pick that one up and reroll it, thus avoiding "Gets Hot." Unless I roll a 1 again, then I have to make a "Gets Hot" save.

Scenario 3: The plasma gunner shoots at a target at range X<12" and rolls a 1 and a 2 on his to-hit. I can pick that one up and reroll it, thus avoiding "Gets Hot." Unless I roll a 1 again, then I have to make a "Gets Hot" save. The 2 remains a miss.

Scenario 4: The plasma gunner shoots at a target at range X<12" and rolls a 1 and a 1 on his to-hit. I can pick a single "one" up and reroll it, thus avoiding that particular "Gets Hot." Unless I roll a 1 again, then I have to make a "Gets Hot" save. The other 1 requires a "Gets Hot" save, regardless. Further, if the reroll is also a 1, then I have to make 2 "Gets Hot" saves on the same plasma gunner.

Scenario 5: The plasma cannoneer rolls a "Gets Hot" check before placing the template and gets a 1. Now, is this a to-hit roll? I don't think so, blast templates don't roll to-hit, just scatter. Further, I think the example in the BRB simply states it's a "Gets Hot" check. Therefore, I have to make a "Gets Hot" save right then, and the signum can't help the poor guy.

Scenario 6: The plasma cannoneer rolls a "Gets Hot" check before placing the template and gets a 2+. The template, however, scatters off the target. Does a signum allow me to reroll the scatter die since the weapon failed "to-hit?" I'm thinking no.

Scenario 7 In a nearby command squad, there are 2 plasma gunners. They both shoot at a target 12"<X<24" away, and roll a 1 and a 1 on their to-hit rolls. There is no signum in that squad and the apothecary died already. Both plasma gunners need to make "Gets Hot" saves. However, since both models are identical, I roll their saves together, not seperate. If I fail one and make one, then I get to choose which plasma gunner bites it.

Scenario 8 In a nearby command squad, there are 2 plasma gunners. They both shoot at a target 12">X away, and roll 1, 1, 2, 2. There is no signum in that squad and the apothecary died already. Now, should I have rolled the to-hits seperately to see if both rolled a 1 or just a plasma gunner did? Or, since they have the same gear, roll their to-hits together and then, if multiple 1's are rolled, roll the "Gets Hot" saves together and then, if multiple saves are failed, remove them both, OR if one save is failed, remove my choice.

Scenario 9 In a command squad, there are 2 plasma gunners and a sergeant with a combi-plasma. They all shoot at a target X<12" away. Do I need to differentiate the to-hit dice and any resulting "Gets Hot" saving throws for the plasma gunners from each other? I think no, because they have the same wargear. Do I need to differentiate the to-hit dice and any resulting "Gets Hot" saves for the sergeant from the plasma gunners? I think yes because he has different wargear and a different stat line.

I just want to make sure my understanding is correct by asking you experienced, professional Space Marine Players. I'm going by memory, so I might not have the wording 100% correct. The Techmarine for the Black Templars carries a signum which states that he or a model in a squad he has joined, attached, or leads, may reroll a failed to-hit roll. I think it also states "in the shooting phase."

In the following examples, the techmarine has joined a crusader squad with a plasma gunner and a plasma cannoneer.

Scenario 1: The plasma gun shoots at a target at range 12"<X<24" and rolls a 2 on his to-hit. Obviously, I can pick that one up and reroll it.

Scenario 2: The plasma gun shoots at a target at range 12"<X<24" and rolls a 1 on his to-hit. I can pick that one up and reroll it, thus avoiding "Gets Hot." Unless I roll a 1 again, then I have to make a "Gets Hot" save.

Scenario 3: The plasma gunner shoots at a target at range X<12" and rolls a 1 and a 2 on his to-hit. I can pick that one up and reroll it, thus avoiding "Gets Hot." Unless I roll a 1 again, then I have to make a "Gets Hot" save. The 2 remains a miss.

Scenario 4: The plasma gunner shoots at a target at range X<12" and rolls a 1 and a 1 on his to-hit. I can pick a single "one" up and reroll it, thus avoiding that particular "Gets Hot." Unless I roll a 1 again, then I have to make a "Gets Hot" save. The other 1 requires a "Gets Hot" save, regardless. Further, if the reroll is also a 1, then I have to make 2 "Gets Hot" saves on the same plasma gunner.

All of these are exactly correct.

Scenario 5: The plasma cannoneer rolls a "Gets Hot" check before placing the template and gets a 1. Now, is this a to-hit roll? I don't think so, blast templates don't roll to-hit, just scatter. Further, I think the example in the BRB simply states it's a "Gets Hot" check. Therefore, I have to make a "Gets Hot" save right then, and the signum can't help the poor guy.

Although this check is not specifically a to-hit roll, according to "Gets Hot! and re-rolls", on the bottom of page 31, "If a model has the ability to re-roll rolls to hit, it may re-roll Gets Hot! results of 1 without suffereing a wound, unless the result of the re-roll is a 1 as well." This means that the Signum does allow you to re-roll the Gets Hot! check for the Plasma Cannon.

Scenario 6: The plasma cannoneer rolls a "Gets Hot" check before placing the template and gets a 2+. The template, however, scatters off the target. Does a signum allow me to reroll the scatter die since the weapon failed "to-hit?" I'm thinking no.

Looking at page 30, "If a model has the ability to re-roll its rolls to hit and chooses to do so after firing a blast weapon, the player must re-roll both the scatter dice and the 2D6." So the answer is yes.

Scenario 7 In a nearby command squad, there are 2 plasma gunners. They both shoot at a target 12"<X<24" away, and roll a 1 and a 1 on their to-hit rolls. There is no signum in that squad and the apothecary died already. Both plasma gunners need to make "Gets Hot" saves. However, since both models are identical, I roll their saves together, not seperate. If I fail one and make one, then I get to choose which plasma gunner bites it.

You do not roll their saves together, despite them being exactly the same. Only the actual firing model can take the wound for Gets Hot! so their saves need to be taken separately.

Scenario 8 In a nearby command squad, there are 2 plasma gunners. They both shoot at a target 12">X away, and roll 1, 1, 2, 2. There is no signum in that squad and the apothecary died already. Now, should I have rolled the to-hits seperately to see if both rolled a 1 or just a plasma gunner did? Or, since they have the same gear, roll their to-hits together and then, if multiple 1's are rolled, roll the "Gets Hot" saves together and then, if multiple saves are failed, remove them both, OR if one save is failed, remove my choice.

For the same reason as stated immediately above, your shooting for multiple Plasma firing models in the same unit should be conducted separately, to determine which model's weapon actual overheated.

Scenario 9 In a command squad, there are 2 plasma gunners and a sergeant with a combi-plasma. They all shoot at a target X<12" away. Do I need to differentiate the to-hit dice and any resulting "Gets Hot" saving throws for the plasma gunners from each other? I think no, because they have the same wargear. Do I need to differentiate the to-hit dice and any resulting "Gets Hot" saves for the sergeant from the plasma gunners? I think yes because he has different wargear and a different stat line.

All three models' firing should be rolled separately, then any saves taken seperately. Wounds caused by Gets Hot! are treated differently since they only affect the actual firing model, than Wounds to the unit caused by ranged or close combat attacks.

V

Archived