Chaos Possessed and Power Weapon

Albion de Heaven

Hi all just a quick question about chaos possessd

when you roll a 6 on the power table and get "power weapon" do they receive a power weapon or not?

p.29 "Deamonkin" [...] The possessed unit will have the special rule or extra equipment indicated in the table for the enteire game"

p.29 "Power Weapon" a shimmering daemoninc aura surround the weapons of the possessed

p.95 possessed count as equipped with a single close combact weapon

the question my friends and me get into is: "when you roll 6, do they get and extra (power) weapon (so 1 more attack) or the one they have become "power" ???

the discussion started because the "power weapon is the only ability that can be referred as extra equipment"

thank you

edit: forgot about "extra equipment quotation"

I'm the friend (the one that plays with chaos). The question come from the rule "daemonkin" that say "The Possessed unit will have the special rule or EXTRA EQUIPMENT indicated in the table for the entire game" and the power weapon is the unique piece of equipment of the table

Another question: at the end of the game, a unit blocked in melee, count as scoring and/or contesting? If 2 untis are meleeing at the end of the game, and 1 has 1 model at 3" of an objective, and the other one is not, the objective is taken by the model at 3"?

No extra attack, as they are not gaining extra equipment.

As long as the unit isn't dead it is scoring. When two units are in melee, if only one is within 3" of the objective, they cap it. If both are, it's contested.

So, when they gain extra equipment as rule daemonkin? ("The Possessed unit will have the special rule or EXTRA EQUIPMENT indicated in the table for the entire game")

Scout is a special rule

Furious Charge is a special rule

Fleet of Foot is a special rule

Rending is a special rule

Feel no Pain is a special rule

Power Weapon is the only one that is not a special rule, is a piece of equipment with a special rule, they gain it as a EXTRA (and with the close combat weapon they counted to have, they will gain +1 for two weapons)

I think that the description is not a rule, just a fancy description.

Anyway was just searching a merit in an already underused unit. I will accept to play even whithout a +1 attack on 1/6 chance when i will want to play some possessed (power weapon is already strong)

Page 29, Codex: Chaos Marines

“Possessed Abilities Table

6. Power Weapon. A shimmering daemonic aura surrounds the weapons of the Possessed.”

Page 95, Codex: Chaos Marines

“Wargear:

Power Armor

Possessed count as equipped with a single close combat weapon”

I am honestly not following this one at all. What is ambiguous about this? On a 6 the Possessed squad’s single close combat weapon becomes a power weapon and they stay power weapons for the entire game. The “extra equipment” is there because the close combat weapon is replaced by a power weapon.

the description is clear - the existing weapon counts as a power weapon, nothing is added.

the issue is that the general description for daemonic possession indicates that the effect will give a power or "extra equipment." as none give equipment (including wargear), that seems to suggest that the PW (the only thing that could be wargear) it in fact, counts as additional equipment - in this case adding a second CCW and thus +1 attack. the whole thing could be made clear by simply omitting the statement regarding equipment from the daemonic possession rule. since it's there, people are trying to find the possession that it refers to, which there isn't. it's just shoddy writing and people looking for something they were told would be there.

“Weapons” is plural because it is referring to all the unit’s close combat weapon not a single close combat shared between them all.

Or it could be referring to each members multiple weapons. Either interpretation is gramatically correct.

“Weapons” is plural because it is referring to all the unit’s close combat weapon not a single close combat shared between them all.

Or it could be referring to each members multiple weapons. Either interpretation is gramatically correct.

But neither works as a base to argue that they gain gear in addition to what they already possess.

But neither works as a base to argue that they gain gear in addition to what they already possess.

Actually, in conjunction with the rule that tells us how to use the chart it does:

At the beginning of each game, after deployment, roll a dice on the table below. The Possessed unit will have the special rule or extra equipment indicated in the table for the entire game.

Note: "extra" equipment, not substitution, exchange, or change in equipment.

Actually, in conjunction with the rule that tells us how to use the chart it does:

At the beginning of each game, after deployment, roll a dice on the table below. The Possessed unit will have the special rule or extra equipment indicated in the table for the entire game.

Note: "extra" equipment, not substitution, exchange, or change in equipment.

It's "special rule or extra equipment".

So even with your interpretation it could mean either or.

I would like to state that this thread (along with probably 100+ others) would not be around if Gav Thorpe could write a codex coherently but apperently he was just putting words on papper and glueing them where they would look good on the pages.OK be for I go too far off topic IMO the possed have there single weapon surrounded in a shimmering daemonic aura and the weapon is plural because it is referring to all the unit’s close combat weapons (1 each).

Archived