Steel brethern

Brother RedAxe

I was looking through the codex and noticed something on P 24 about the steel brethern's extensive use of transports and Drop Pods. Nowhere in the codex does it list any information on chaos forces use of drop pods. Where can I find the rules for it? i am new to the forces of Chaos as I am taking a tempoary break from my Tau army. Any help would be great.

chaos cant use drop pods . or to make it more complicated yes it does and we even have more versions of drop pods[pre heresy ones are flyers for example] , but GW in their wisdom decided it would be to broken to give an army with ultra grit and two specials drop pods . It would make us too good.

Chaos drop pods are called Dread Claws. The rules for them can be found on Page 100 of Imperial Armour Apocalypse, a forgeworld publication. Forgeworld obviously make the models as well. (Scroll down to the bottom of this page) Although, the plastic SM version is certainly much cheaper, and I'm sure probably convertable.

Rules-wise, more expensive than a SM drop-pod, not open topped, but no weapons.

Fluff-wise, the Steel Bretheren may be using stolen imperial drop pods, or even ones left over from when they turned renegade.

However, although he hasn't made it clear, the jeske is right in saying they're not in the codex, so not really useable 'pick up and play' games. But for Apoc or games with obliging friends; no problem. B)

Another option would be to use Codex:Space mainres for their rules instead, to utilise the fact that the Space Marines can use drop pods; or even Space Wolves, maybe? Other than the drop pods, and the colour scheme, what has drawn you to the Chaos forces; that is what else would you wantin you army and could you use another codex to represent this, or do you have your heart set on the other chaos troop types?

chaos cant use drop pods . or to make it more complicated yes it does and we even have more versions of drop pods[pre heresy ones are flyers for example] , but GW in their wisdom decided it would be to broken to give an army with ultra grit and two specials drop pods . It would make us too good.

*glances over at the space wolves*

I like the chaos setup from from a variety stand point. I like the wide array of conversion available. From reality point I liked the Space wolves but with the person I play aginst the most playing Wolves it kinda killed that option for me. Also with a new Dark Eldar Codex a long way off. Anyways for my warband I was thinking some where along the lines of a Slaneeshiy mixture of the Steel Brethern and Skyrar's Dark Wolves, leaning heavily on terminators and fast hit and run tatics similar to Dark Eldar and mobile Tau forces. Any suggestions on assembling this? I have my base 1000pts on the way term lord, 20 CSM, 5 term's, and a predator.

*Waves his "Steel Brethren FTW" flag*

You can also play Planetstrike games to represent the drop pods. Or you can take the line that rather than teleporting, Terminators/Oblierators are arriving via drop pod (remember that drop pods as actual units is still a relatively new thing; in the original 3rd ed Codex you could even use drop pod armies that were nothing more than deep strike).

The WarpGhost has some excellent points, but you could also focus your attention to the 'transports' part of the fluff; i.e. Rhinos for the CSMs and a Land Raider for your termies.

Maybe even go with a couple of landraiders to make use of their Assault Vehicle rules for the 'hit' aprt of hit and run, although equally, just a mechanised force using rhinos and deep striking (pretending to be in dreadclaws) termies could fit in with your chosen fluff.

Maybe even go with a couple of landraiders to make use of their Assault Vehicle rules for the 'hit' aprt of hit and run, although equally, just a mechanised force using rhinos and deep striking (pretending to be in dreadclaws) termies could fit in with your chosen fluff.
That's how I've elected to represent my Steel Brethren, although using Codex: Space Marines is a little tempting, and gels with my fluff for them.

Since for right now I am playing small games I was going to use the termies deep stike ability with a chaos icon to put them where I want them. I was planning on creating an off shoot of the brethern. The fluff I have thought up for my war band leader is, renegade from the space wolves, joined the steel brethern, did a little merc work with skyrar's wolves. started gathering followers from amongst the brethern skyrar's and currupting promising warriors from the space wolves. i would love to be able to use termies the smae way as the SW's get to with Logan. It would fit very well with how I see this sub faction coming together.

Steel Brethern.... weren't those the guys that.... flips a bunch of pages... yup they are in the seige of vraks. Imerpial Armor vol 7. Just so happens IA vol 7 also has the rules for the dreadclaw :P . If I were you I would pick up a copy.

Not going to read the whole thing, but has a little mention that they might have siege experience they gained from the IWs. Their cruiser is called the Ferrum Invictus.

Sound like IWs that use a lot of transports... what I already play.

Archived