Actual Scale Word Bearer lord

Doghouse

This is the model so far. It started life as a commission but the client bailed so I'm painting it up for myself, I'm going to have a look through my bits box and see if I can dig out some more of these guys for a squad.

http://i47.tinypic.com/34zzsxj.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/9ll8qv.jpg

The red looks a little washed out in these pictures but it's a little darker than pictured. I've gone for a more of an old school Word Bearer brighter red rather than the current more scab red colour seen in the codex.

http://i47.tinypic.com/15wl6dc.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/b97q4m.jpg

oh the hate i feel now.

that is awesome, who would bail on something like that.

rage at you for being so good, just shows me i need more practice (i'm quitting work now so i have more time)

Rage at the client who clearly has no idea how good that really is, then the painting is awesome, the glow on the chest plate is fantastic.

only thing i'd change (not a criticism) more impurity seals/oath papers/text on the armour,

or i'd be tempted to put a tattoo on his face

Thanks mate. ;)

Yeah I think you are right about adding impurity seals and some more parchments. I've got an actual scale dreadnought under way to back him up armed with a plasma cannon which should be fun. I'm going to add a six man word bearer plague marine unit in their colours rather than all green and mouldy which should be good because I enjoy making nurgle stuff and red plague marines should look really different.

It was a bit bewildering that the client bailed because he was over the moon with the model and I was doing it dirt cheap for him but he just emailed me out the blue to say that he was going Tau and so didn't need it any more which was annoying. The perils of commission stuff I guess.

On the plus side I've got really nice lord out of it I guess and am enjoying painting him.

its cool doing 'cult' marines in legion colours, i'll have to try to find my iron warrior bezerkers, it mkes a nice change with subtle alterations to the same old colour scheme, had bloodrunning from seams in the armour, hazard markings on chainaxes and such.

nurgle word bearers... hmmm, rusty weapons (like scythes), flies and all that jazz?

the dreadnought sounds cool, have you read the word bearer novels?

Sounds cool.

Yeah I'm probably going to go the route of making them look like word bearers that are nurgle worshippers so the same colour scheme as the rest but with boils, extended guts, the works.

No I haven't read any of the novels but I did use to play them back in second ed.

The dread should be really nice.

Sounds cool.

Yeah I'm probably going to go the route of making them look like word bearers that are nurgle worshippers so the same colour scheme as the rest but with boils, extended guts, the works.

No I haven't read any of the novels but I did use to play them back in second ed.

The dread should be really nice.

Love the model, great job, and a beautiful paintjob to boot.

A quick word of warning: be careful with the "word bearers that are Nurgle worshippers" stuff. I'm surprised the Fluff Inquisition hasn't already kicked in your door to take you for interrogation and rehabilitation. I’m all about the Word Bearers having fellas gifted by the Powers of Chaos, but that’s what I call it “gifted” or “favored”. And I’ve still caught hell from the Fluff Nazis.

Once again, great job!

JC

Thank you Dog house, you are the person that inspired me to 'seriously' use greenstuff ( Thats right, blame him ;) ).

The Word Bearer looks fantastic, still don't understand why he would bail out, even if he did change army :P .

Can't wait for the Nurgle marines and the dred.

Keep it up.

Cheers guys! :)

1TH0R3: Nice one! Yeah I don't get why he bailed either, guess that the lure of the greater good was too much for him. :huh:

cathar the great: Yeah I know what you mean mate. The client wanted me to focus more on the marine than the bling, stating that he wanted an understated imposing feel. I may have to make a Dark Apostle to go with him at some point and just go nuts on the guy.

The dread is looking pretty sweet at the moment but very loyalist at the moment so I need to bling it up. I'm going for an evil feel rather an all out spiky chaos look.

Wow! :o This is seriously impressive stuff. I'm a big fan of the old-school style of painting Word Bearers a brighter red as opposed to the more recent scabbier red they've picked up, so I like this a lot. I have to say though, I think it needed the paint on it as unpainted it looked far more Black Legion than Word Bearers. Still, as others have said, impurity seals and the like would have sorted that out I imagine, and it still looks awesome. :)

I don't need to say much regarding the conversion itself; your reputation precedes you Doghouse! :D

I'm just wondering, what head is that you've used? I'm sure it's a very common one, but I'm interested all the same.

Thanks!

Thanks mate. :tu:

Yeah I'm adding some little bits of parchment and will probably bung in a few seals in as well. I see this guy more warrior than priest and no doubt he is devoted to the dark gods just as much as the others but prefers a punch over a prayer meeting.

I will have to add a proper Dark Apostle further down the line as a counter point when I have more time.

The head is one of the space wolves ones from the new set but with the side burns cut off and ears sculpted on. I'm going to count the parchment on the shoulder as a personal icon and back him up with some lesser daemons. I've been searching through my bits boxes and should have enough parts for a defiler and maybe a greater daemon to back him up later on.

This is great work, but the only thing that I feel really needs a fixing is the head - I feel it needs a little more something, tattoos, evil looking beard, who knows.

What more could inspire fear into the foes of Chaos than a Champion of Chaos?

http://whithaydn.com/smfimages/Wyatt%20Earp.jpg

A Champion of Chaos with a mean lookin' moustache, that's what! :D

I was considering something along the lines of tattoos all over his head, not too sure about about the moustache though I'd need a top hot to go with it. ^_^

Although some of the space wolves heads might do the job with their dodgy facial hair...

Archived