Actual Scale Word Bearer lord

Doghouse

Dreams of Contempt: Definitely mate, I'm going to give it a bash and was thinking maybe a ring of markings around his head like a crown.

Lamenter: Thanks mate. :)

Taches are definitely out, I think that it'd be taking the evil villain look a little too far, I might as well have one sat on a throne stroking a white cat. :lol:

I'm just waiting for my camera to charge but have been doing some research on the organisation of the Legion. Based on the IA and what Black Library info I can scrounge together this guy is a Coryphaus which is basically the second in command to the war host's Dark Acolyte. He's in charge of leading the troops tactically and free up the Acolyte to worship the dark powers.

Squads will be organised in twelve man units and daemons are there as cannon fodder to allow the marines. I've been scrounging through bits boxes and come up with enough parts for eighteen marines, the dred and a defiler. I may have a bash at an actual scale rhino to go with them but it'll be be pretty bit based on my research into the size.

Cheers guys! :D

Megalodon: I don't quite understand it myself to be honest. I was only charging him twenty quid for it so it wasn't as if it was too expensive or anything. I'm not too keen on this commission stuff and doubt I'll do any more after I've finished what I have been asked to do so far.

Cheers guys! :)

Megalodon: I don't quite understand it myself to be honest. I was only charging him twenty quid for it so it wasn't as if it was too expensive or anything. I'm not too keen on this commission stuff and doubt I'll do any more after I've finished what I have been asked to do so far.

I used to do some commision work for people and half the time the work gets haulted due to lack of funds or by the simple fact that most gamers nowa days are overly impulsive with decision making, like blowing X amount of money on _____ army and then blowing Y amount of money to have it constructed and painted. I feel your pain. :) I gave up a commision not too long ago because I just don't have the time to deal with issues like that.

Looks like you might be able to get this into the Hall of Honor, DH. Good job :)

Yeah it's proven to be a bit of a pain what with people dropping out mid project.

He should be finished over the next few days with any luck. I have nearly finished building the actual scale dred and it is an absolute monster. Dreadnoughts are seriously big once you do the maths and the regular dred looks really cute stood next to him. :)

I've armed him with a plasma cannon for the time being but as I'm using the sentinel plasma cannon I'm not sure that it's quite big enough.

Yeah it's proven to be a bit of a pain what with people dropping out mid project.

He should be finished over the next few days with any luck. I have nearly finished building the actual scale dred and it is an absolute monster. Dreadnoughts are seriously big once you do the maths and the regular dred looks really cute stood next to him. :)

I've armed him with a plasma cannon for the time being but as I'm using the sentinel plasma cannon I'm not sure that it's quite big enough.

Although it would no doubt be an expensive kit to buy for just the weapons, but the new Imperial Guard Leman Russ Punisher kit's guns should be large enough ;) . If you look at my dreadnought questions thread in the Space Wolf forum, some one posted pics of their normal dreadnought with the gatling gun from it.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...odId=prod50019a

Meglodon: Thanks mate, thought I was doing the guy a favour but if he's wants Tau instead of a bargin then that's up to him I guess. :rolleyes:

commander alexander: That under slung gatling gun looks really good, I may have to try that.

Terminatorinhell: Here you go mate...

He's looking a little rough around the edges at the moment but the dreadnought is well under way now. It's a bit of a rush job at the moment because I'm finishing stuff for other people at the moment but he's getting there. I'm building up the base coat of scab red before I start washing him with Baal Red and Red Gore to bring out the colour.

The look I'm going for is a twisted Imperial look rather than the standard tentacles and horns chaos look. I'm playing around with detailed bits in between sculpting other stuff to get a feel for the model and see where he's heading.

I've stuck a couple of shots in for scale, the Imperial dreadnought looks pretty small but this guy is pretty accurately scaled to Actual scale. I've also included a shot of my old Night Lords pre-Heresy dred that will be reworked to fit the potential army.

I've gone with a plasma cannon and heavy flamer for the first guy purely because I can whack a land raider between him and the rest of the army and he can't hurt it. The twin linked lascannon guy may pose some problems though but the chance of two twin-linked lascannon shots is too good to pass up.

http://i45.tinypic.com/29bbz0p.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/35bfh2x.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/35i7mm9.jpg

Thanks mate! :D

Yeah I just wanted an average bog standard dreadnought to show their Imperial origins rather than something all chaotic which would be better suited to the more dedicated legions of chaos like the death guard or emperor's children.

I personally see the Word Bearers as the dark mirror image of the Imperium so you've got the corrupted heraldry on the front of the sarcophagus in the form of the leering daemon head, the scriptures of Lorgar and the icons of chaos.

Awesome work as usual, Doghouse. Sucks about the commission, whoever dropped it is certifiably insane. Makes me want to try my hand at actual scale, but I still feel unworthy with my pitiful attempts at gothic-scaling. :P Digging the more subtly-corrupt approach to the Dreadnought rather than the usual spike-fest. It's kinda nice to see someone doing the oldschool scheme, especially this nicely.

Minor fluff-note, and I probably need to re-read Dark Apostle, but I'm fairly sure the Coryphaus traditionally wears Terminator armor, as he's also the direct commander of a warhost's Anointed (a warhost's Terminator cohort). That may have just been Jarulek's particular Coryphaus though.

Can't wait to see Dark Apostle Doghouse, and it'll be interesting to see the cult marines. Normally Word Bearer cult marines are Frowned Upon By The Establishment but I've been looking for an excuse to do it for a while, just for the modeling opportunities. The novels do mention some Word Bearers who have strayed a bit too close to Khorne worship and are considered the warhost's black sheep. They're pretty much used as cannon-fodder. IIRC Kikkala has a couple Plague Marines in his army, and he started on a Typhus counts-as a while back and nobody complained.

Anyway, welcome to the Legion, brother. Death to the False Emperor and all that.

Cheers guys! ;)

RazakelXIII: I'm doing a bit of catch up myself on the Word Bearers myself since I last played them in third ed and never realised that the background material had been developed.

As far as I can tell from the example warhost in the books you have the Dark Apostle then the First Apostle and the Coryphaus who leads the army in battle tactically.

The Anointed are the terminators mentioned which I'm presuming are the Chosen of the Word Bearers. It might well be that the Anointed are found through out the Legion or could be a formation specific to the Warhost of Jarulak. Given the fact that they are quite organised as a Legion I'm guessing the former rather than the latter.

I think I can get away with it by having him in power armour by making a lesser warhost of a maybe company strength. So it'd be like a loyalist first company captain fighting in power armour alongside the sternguard or vanguard.

Yeah I think that you could get away with a few cultist marines as extremists but like you say the rest of the Legion are probably going to look down on them. I think a few plague marines in corroded red armour would look really cool.

If nightlord players can come up with fluff reasons as to why we have cult troopers I see no reason why The Word Bearers wouldn't have them as well. the human mind has way to many questional moments to state that a word bearer would never find one element of the 4 chaos powers he liked or liked him enough to have the other 3 pull away or have him pull away from them. I look forward to seeing your nurgle Word bearers doghouse as youve been a big inspiration in the past for my Nightlords. Keep up the excellent work

A guy bailed on this. Madness.

Anyways The dread looks awesome. I can just imagine it up against a Nid player whose tyrant is gunna be like" woah".

I used to do alot of commision stuff, but nowadays it just small scale stuff, no full armys, and barely full squads. much more managable.

I'm probably going to be hanged for this, but hey, every one has a right to say his own, honest oppinion..

Here it goes;

I'm a tad dissapointed that you did the Dread as a rush job, Doghouse. It looks, well.. like a rush job. I know you can do better.. WAY better.. It IS a beast, that's for sure, but all those uneven lines on it make it drop when it comes to the visuals.. Heck, I've seen you're Actual Scale Land Raider.. So, will there be a Actual Scale Dreadnought MkII when you have enough time to do him/it?

I apologize if I may have offended you in any way..

*hopes to see another day*

Cheers guys! :wallbash:

FerrumIgnatus: Nah I'm not offended mate. <_<

He is a little rough around the edges but I can still clean him up so all is not lost. This guy is pretty much a prototype and I'll try and make a cleaner job of the second or third ones. Now that I've removed the flaming book he's looking a little better and I can use purity seals to mask some of the nastier areas.

I've started work on an actual scale predator now that I 've worked out the measurements I've constructed templates to allow me to build as any rhinos, predators and vindicators that I need.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived