cluster mines

Sir_Cosme

This does seem like a grey area, it states after terrain has been placed but before the game starts..

this opens up a big middle covering choosing sides and rolling for first turn etc.

Using some common sense helps here, your scouts are specifically mining enemy positions (fluffwise) so i always wait until sides are chosen, but always before models are deployed

Using some common sense helps here, your scouts are specifically mining enemy positions (fluffwise) so i always wait until sides are chosen, but always before models are deployed

Well no actual mention is made of "enemy positions", just "defensible" terrain. All the scouts are doing is mining any position that could be used as potential cover. They are placed (or rather their position is noted) immediately after terrain has been set up but before any model has been deployed. These are indescriminate weapons yes, but at least you know where they are – your opponent doesn't ;).

Cheers

I

Well no actual mention is made of "enemy positions", just "defensible" terrain.

ooh Isiah, naughty boy cutting the quote short :lol:

When operating behind enemy lines.......

They are deployed in defensible positions to deny thier use to all but the bravest or most foolhardy foes

edit: quote clipped so save time

So whilst it doesnt specifically say the enemies terrain, it does clearly infer it IMO

The point still stands - mines are placed before deployment.

On the issue of cutting short the quote it doesn't change anything. Just because something is "behind enemy lines" doesn't mean its an enemy position per se as it could be used as cover by an outflanking unit of your own for instance.

Cheers

I

On the issue of cutting short the quote it doesn't change anything. Just because something is "behind enemy lines" doesn't mean its an enemy position per se as it could be used as cover by an outflanking unit of your own for instance.

the part i wanted to focus on was the deny the terrain to your foes bit, combined with behind enemy lines suggests your targetting opponents terrain as opposed to randomly placing them before you have picked sides.

Ultimately its an open discussion, so you should always check with your opponent..

when rules are loose, its good to consider common sense and fluff to try to figure an appropriate RAI IMO

Since in 5th edition you choose sides by placing models you'd have to deploy the mines before sides have been chosen.

Ive never played it like this, but it still doesnt matter, you can place mines after you roll for first turn/set up.. you havent deployed yet, but will have a pretty god idea which side is yours.

When you deploy the mines do you have to tell the other player where you placed them or can you keep it to yourself?

No, you do not have to tell them. You're supposed to write it down on a slip of paper or something, so your opponent knows you're not cheating.

Archived