Strengthening DIY Chapters

Fat Corgi

I have recently got back into 40k after a very long absence. I have created my own chapter and was playing a friend in a "re-baptism" of fire match, against his Ultramarines army. Due to there unique characters, the ultramarines romped home over my very generic codex based chapter. Do many people create characters, mirrored off the traditional codex chapters characters?

Looking to avoid another trouncing.

Got this army list points calculator the other day as well. Works a treat for my Chapter (and Ultramarines as well, grrr), plus I don't have a great head for numbers so I'll take any help I can get. That have a new trial version available too.

http://www.ecodex.webege.com

Any tips with regards to adding special rules to your own chapters would be greatly appreciated.

FC

You have access to the same characters as he does - even if UM-specific, you can use them to "count as" your own special characters (or even the other Chapter-specific characters like Kantor or He'stan).

No need to invent new ones.

I need a heavy support option to fight a horde-type army (orks). Suggestions?

Devastators with Heavy Bolters, Devastators with Missile Launchers, Thunderfire Cannon, Vindicator, Whirlwind, Land Raider Redeemer. All do extremely well against Horde armies, I'll break it down:

Devastators with Heavy Bolters

-These put out a reliable and potent ammount of anti-infantry firepower that also negates all Ork Armor saves except Mega Armor. If your opponent likes to run Nobs in Eavy Armor or Ard Boyz Heavy Bolters will make sure they drop like flies.

Devastators with Missile Launchers

-My preference really, with the choice of frag and krak missiles you have versatility and a variety of target choices. Kraks make it relatively easy to bring down Trukks, Warbuggies and help bringing down bikes and deffkoptas and even nobs. Frag rounds are excelent for sending piles and piles of grots and boys off the table. Even with scatter against Orks I have never had a frag round scatter completely off target, there's just too many of them.

Devastators have a slight weakness in that a rapid ork assault may catch them in combat and tear them to ribbons before they can shoot much. Placing buffer Tactical or Scout squads infront of the Devastators can easily negate that problem however.

Thunderfire Cannon

-The various fire modes means the Thunderfire cannon also has some versatility, its immense firepower also means that you will be able to put some massive holes in advancing Ork mobs. But like the Devastators assault can be a problem and the Thunderfire Cannon is not exactly... durable.

Vindicator

-Vindicators can put out some of the same punishment that the Thunderfire cannon can against boys but has the added advantage of strength and ap and is excelent for removing Nob Bikers and other tough nuts from the field quickly, its also more durable to shooting than the Thunderfire or Whirlwind.

Whirlwind

-Unlike the Vindicator the Whirlwind doesn't need direct line of sight, so can sit back and rain firepower on advancing mobs of Orks from a safely hidden position, but should fast moving Warbikes or Deffkoptas get to it the Whirlwind is a gonner.

Land Raider Redeemer

-The Redeemer is tough to remove in assault or shooting and with its twin flame cannons can carve a path through Nobs and boyz with equal ease, negating cover saves and is a nice tool for splitting an Ork advance in the middle and sending it into dissaray, and you can always use it to deliver a bunch of Assault Terminators into the fray as well!

The Crusader can put out a decent ammount of anti-infantry firepower but point for point I don't think its that usefull against hordes, its better suited for delivering a bunch of Templars, Blood Claws or Assault Terminators into the fray than anything else, the gun I use the most on that thing is the pintle-mounted Multi-melta hah.

Hope that helps.

You lost because you havent played in years, not because he used Special Characters. Just keep looking at what you did wrong and try and use logic to solve your problems. Army list selection is only a small part of the game.

However if you want some help picking a DIY force, you can go through the Army Lists forums and read some examples along with the feedback of various different armies people have created.

Last question for the moment...

Command. Is the Chapter Master worth the extra points (I know you get the Orbital bombardment Special rule)? I like the idea of a Honour Guard, and have already built and painted a commander-type character, but is a captain a smarter choice for the points?

They've updated that link I posted as well. It works now.

www.ecodex.webege.com

It's true though. I would have lost because I haven't played in so long. I spent more time trying to remember rules than implementing any worthwhile tactics. Thanks again for your suggestions folks.

Ciao

FC

When I'm running C:SM and not BA I go with the captain, but that's because I always forget about the orbital bombardment and never take honor guard because he's busy running around with jump pack. If you're looking to put yours in a vehicle, though, chaptermaster with a full honor guard is a nasty thing to have popping out of a landraider. I may end up doing something similar at high point games, but I'm having too much fun with shrike+lysander as is.

Archived