Cork / resin / shale on bases

Longfang Greybeard

I'm not sure if a question similar to this has been asked or not already, I searched but my search-fu might be inferior...

What I'm wanting to know about is that is there a specif rule that pertains to useing things like cork or shale on bases to raise the miniature in height for dramatic purposes, and does doing so have an actual in-game effect? I've got a buddy who keeps saying it's against the rules to use anything to raise the mini beyond the base but he can never quote me a rule or a page so I can look it up to verify and as of yet I haven't found an exact rule (though I'm also still learning 5th Ed, I've been away from the game since the beginning of 4th).

My army back then did it and I'm just wondering if I need to re-base all of my armies or not.

Yeah its no problem, though it does effect LoS, with taller models being able to see (and thus shoot) more, or shoot over cover, and smaller models being harder to see. If this ends up being by a signifigant amount it can effect the game, and etiquite (sp?) in such situations is to have a standard sized model which you can sub in for measurement purposes.

I had been planning to paint up a few minis without cork under their bases to show 'correct height' and all that jazz since the minis are currently mounted on 1/4 inch cork that's been picked apart to be closer to 1/8th inch or so in height so it appears as rocky terrain.

I had seen on page 3 the part about having your opponent's permission and I got a little worried, but I figure anyone having an issue with 1/8th of an inch is being way to much of a stickler anyway.

I had seen on page 3 the part about having your opponent's permission and I got a little worried, but I figure anyone having an issue with 1/8th of an inch is being way to much of a stickler anyway.

Indeed but best to ask an opponent in any case. If the base effects the mechanics of the game then this can be a problem. But an eighth of an inch [3mm] doesn't sound too drastic to me.

Archived