Smallvictory's Raven Host

smallvictory

Welcome, thanks for looking, here is the plan. I need to finish an army so I can get in a few games. So after finishing my Prince, getting through the hectic schedule of Xmas, I'm on the case. The plan is to fully assemble then paint one squad at a time, sculpt 1-3 feathers onto every model and sculpt my Warbands symbol onto the left shoulderpad of everyone. All of my champions will have an Icon because I will be eventually be doing a full sculpt Greater Demon. I really want to begin the sculpt but I can't play without units! So here is the first couple of CSM's. Champion has an Icon...check, everyone has feathers......missed one, everyone has chapter symbol....check.

gallery_31750_4411_14864.jpg

The guy on the left was my color test, anyways I'm off to glue a few more together.

gallery_31750_4411_19402.jpggallery_31750_4411_41325.jpg

Update, gave the Champion head tentacles and changed the icon a bit.

C and C welcome and encouraged.

• 2 months later...

This thread is rising from the dead! I have once again gone from being productive to being lazy and back again. I have finished putting all of the squad together with the rhino and used my new spray gun to put the yellow base coat on the whole unit.

gallery_31750_4411_33129.jpggallery_31750_4411_1296.jpg

Added feathers to a trophey spike, replaces the front panel with plasticard in an eye pattern, used green stuff flames (going to be painted a Tzeentchy blue) to the front like I've seen others on this site do, and threw the chapter symbol on the side.

gallery_31750_4411_10509.jpggallery_31750_4411_9363.jpggallery_31750_4411_9726.jpggallery_31750_4411_1413.jpg

Nothing too special here, made a pointy finger, mutated the chest of the dual weilding guy with five little eyes, the beaky got a head band thingy I'm not sure about, and one of 'em has a giant mouth on his left shin.

gallery_31750_4411_14323.jpg

This guys my favorite, I used a drill bit for a banner pole (hard to see since it was sprayed) and can't get over how cool it looks with the downward spiral on the bottom half. Also gave him some tentacles instead of horns and his right leg (not shown) has mutated into bone with a tentacle.

Thanks for looking and comments/critics are welcome as always. The real painting begins now.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/smallvictory/IMG_1492.jpg

Oh yeah, ordered up some casting stuff and made the chapter shoulderpads and bases for the whole squad all at once (you can see them on the guys I sprayed). Had some bubble issues with the shoulder pads but the bases worked great. Only made 4 different ones, pumped out 4 every ten minuites until I had 24, all came out perfect. Not sure I'm going to cast anything else, but finishing bases this fast was worth every penny.

gallery_31750_4411_72822.jpg

This is the stuff I used, the picture should be big enough to get all the info off of the labels. Cost me about $60 for everything pictured plus a mold release spray (a must) and shipping. The rubber mold is probably good for 4-5 small molds, but the resin will last forever. I've made 30+ bases and 10 shoulder pads plus learning curve type mistakes and havent used 25%. Hope this helps somebody.

I've used the same kit that you have. If you live close to a hobbylobby (hobbylobby.com), they sell it there. They also runawesome sales (20-30% off from time to time.

There is also their web coupon that you can print out (about once a month it's good for 40% off the regular price of one item ;) , I got the same set for about $35.

Your work is amazing by the way. Not a fan of yellow, but aces on the GS work.

Thanks for the Hobbylobby.com tip Soul Piercer, that's just going to be where I get stuff from now on. Hope you come around to liking the yellow, I've just based them in that ugly yellow/brown color. Check out my finished Prince in the HOH to see what it will look like when done (use searchy, it's been a while).

• 1 month later...

Been playing a lot of games with my hobby time instead of painting and in doing so I have a new favorite unit. A Five man chosen squad maxed out with plasma guns outflanking with a rhino. So here is the first model for that squad, I wanted all of the chosen to look bigger and sneakier than the rest of the marines, so I gave him a cape topped with feathers to keep with the army theme. I was covering the top of the backpack and thought it needed to be vented so I added a single big vent on top. Whatcha think?

gallery_31750_4411_22994.jpggallery_31750_4411_35580.jpg

And here is the whole very small warband as it stands in all of its not quite painted but at least base coated glory.

gallery_31750_4411_3623.jpg

Sorry about the large picture, forgot to change the picture size.

Archived