The Great Princes

Draeden

Alright, we know the Daemon Primarchs, but reading Liber Chaotica they make mention of other named Daemon Princes. I believe it had Samael for Slaanesh and Doombreed for Khorne. And it names them as high ranking princes. But it left me wondering, if there's one for Khorne and one for Slaanesh, do Tzeentch and Nurgle have named Princes to match Samael and Doombreed?

Yup, although I can't help thinking N'Kari is a greater daemon rather than a daemon prince (I am thinking fantasy or somthing?) M'Kachaen is mentioned in the current Daemon hunters codex as Stern's arch nemesis. Also foulspawn was a spawn rather than a daemon prince

Samael for Slaanesh and Doombreed for Khorne.

Wierd... Samael is a arch angle in Christian canon (isn't he ?), funny they would use that name for a daemon. Or was he one that fell with Lucifer (sp?) ? (I don't know Christian stuff very well b/c I'm not one :eek )

And I thought Doombreed was that aweful model of a clown riding a motorcycle in C:csm 3.0, and I thought he was Slanny.

I just woke up with a hangover, is my brain still asleep or what ?? :eek

Am I talking non-sense ?

Wierd... Samael is a arch angle in Christian canon (isn't he ?), funny they would use that name for a daemon. Or was he one that fell with Lucifer (sp?) ? (I don't know Christian stuff very well b/c I'm not one :D )

And I thought Doombreed was that aweful model of a clown riding a motorcycle in C:csm 3.0, and I thought he was Slanny.

I just woke up with a hangover, is my brain still asleep or what ?? :P

Am I talking non-sense ?

The entity Samael enjoys different states and status depending on what mythology one subscribes to. In the early oral traditions that later informed the Abrahamic traditions, he is a high spirit or "angelic" figure suffused with rather grim aspects, though isn't necessarily classified as "evil." In later derivatives of those mythologies, he becomes one of the fallen angels, and is often confused with Satan himself. He is also sometimes regarded as an Arch Angel, as the Angel of Death and various other entities depending on where you look.

Wierd... Samael is a arch angle in Christian canon (isn't he ?), funny they would use that name for a daemon. Or was he one that fell with Lucifer (sp?) ? (I don't know Christian stuff very well b/c I'm not one :D )

Am I talking non-sense ?

The entity Samael enjoys different states and status depending on what mythology one subscribes to. In the early oral traditions that later informed the Abrahamic traditions, he is a high spirit or "angelic" figure suffused with rather grim aspects, though isn't necessarily classified as "evil." In later derivatives of those mythologies, he becomes one of the fallen angels, and is often confused with Satan himself. He is also sometimes regarded as an Arch Angel, as the Angel of Death and various other entities depending on where you look.

Mostly right. Better than I expected, truth be told.

Best answer without busting out books that are buried in the garage: Samael.

Wierd... Samael is a arch angle in Christian canon (isn't he ?), funny they would use that name for a daemon. Or was he one that fell with Lucifer (sp?) ? (I don't know Christian stuff very well b/c I'm not one :lol: )

Am I talking non-sense ?

That's Doomrider. He has a flaming head and rides a bike and is apparently a Slaanesh Daemon Prince.

Doombreed is a Khorne Prince.

Isn't Doombreed the one that led a Black Crusade that wiped out two entire chapters of space marines?

Lexicanum says yes.

Thought so. Although Lexicanum isn't really THAT good when it comes to small things like that. But, as long as it makes the guy look more badass I am willing to accept it as a fact. :rolleyes:

Wierd... Samael is a arch angle in Christian canon (isn't he ?), funny they would use that name for a daemon. Or was he one that fell with Lucifer (sp?) ? (I don't know Christian stuff very well b/c I'm not one :) )

I just woke up with a hangover, is my brain still asleep or what ?? ;)

Am I talking non-sense ?

That's Doomrider. He has a flaming head and rides a bike and is apparently a Slaanesh Daemon Prince.

Doombreed is a Khorne Prince.

Ghostrider anyone? Wonder if Marvel knows about it? :lol:

Yup, although I can't help thinking N'Kari is a greater daemon rather than a daemon prince (I am thinking fantasy or somthing?)

Yup, Greater Daemon of Slaanesh in Fantasy fluff. You can kill him.... her.... it. You can kill it in Warhammer Online. :tu:

It wasn't untuil the advent of the current Chaos Space Marine codex that any Daemon Princes were described as "more powerful" than the Daemon Primarchs (though there are plenty that are older). Every source from the Liber Chaotica to the Second ed Chaos codex describes the Daemon Primarchs as the High Lords of daemon kind, the most favoured and powerful princes in their deity's service. And, of course, it makes perfect sense; these are not mere human beings who have been elevated to Daemonhood: they are primarchs, physically and psychically superior in every way to begin with.

these are not mere human beings who have been elevated to Daemonhood: they are primarchs, physically and psychically superior in every way to begin with.

What does your physical prowess matter when your physical body no longer exists? What does your psychic prowess as a corporeal mortal matter when you have been gifted with true and complete communion with the warp? The Daemon Primarchs are demigods of the warp because their patrons wanted them that way. Their attributes as mortals are irrelevant post-ascension.

these are not mere human beings who have been elevated to Daemonhood: they are primarchs, physically and psychically superior in every way to begin with.

What does your physical prowess matter when your physical body no longer exists? What does your psychic prowess as a corporeal mortal matter when you have been gifted with true and complete communion with the warp? The Daemon Primarchs are demigods of the warp because their patrons wanted them that way. Their attributes as mortals are irrelevant post-ascension.

I agree with this to some level. I think how powerful you can get is not limited by your mortal self but if you started of more powerful those traits will often stay with you basically get a head start over most. Also as the Daemon primarchs have often pleased the gods a lot they have been gifted more than most. It makes sense however that there could be older daemon princes with longer and or more devoted services to the gods who might be as powerful if not more so than the Primarchs. Chaos gods can also make you weaker than you started... if they wish it and just because you've become and daemon prince that doesn't mean its the end of your increase in power or that you can never loose it.

I agree with this to some level. I think how powerful you can get is not limited by your mortal self but if you started off more powerful those traits will often stay with you basically get a head start over most.

I think you have the order of causation wrong. A powerful mortal makes a powerful daemon, but not because he retains his traits post-ascension. Rather, devoting exceptional personal power to the service of Chaos is exceptionally pleasing to the Gods, who are thereby inclined to expend extra energy on your ascension.

Archived