Deep striking a Daemon Prince?

deaglesuk

I was laid in bed thinking of ways to get my Daemon Princes into CC where they belong when the thought came to me "They have Wings, they can deep strike" I can think of a couple of downsides doing this but I was just wondering if anyone had tried it out in a game or two and what other peoples thoughts were.

My thought was to put icons on my Plague Marines who should be up in the enemy's face anyway and then deep strike down 2 DPs within 6" as an instant "damn that unit of PMs just got a LOT harder"

Will it work? Are the downsides so huge as to make it a laughable idea? Should I just go back to bed?

While the idea has merit, especially as it limits the amount of shooting received and you've got wings to offset scatter, I can't help but feel that the randomness of the Reserve rolls will hamper the effectiveness of this strategy.

The commonly seen role of a Prince is to soak incoming fire and to force your opponent to move his precious vehicles away/around accordingly, this would have to be offset somehow.

Has anyone tried using a Prince this way? (and what is your experiences?)

At the top of my head I'm thinking two small biker units with icons as a delivery system for two princes and two or more packs of Lesser Daemons.

50% chance of coming on turn two . this means there is a big chance that for 2 turns or more the DP is doing nothing , not lashing , not drawing away fire from oblits and rhinos . more even if does land on turn 2 it still cant charge . with random game lenght this means that at best for half the game the DP is doing nothing.

so a bad idea all in all.

When I first got my Daemon Prince I did this a few times.

I wouldn't recommend it.

As it was stated, reserve rolls are a problem, daemon princes are a marvelous CC unit and not being able to assault on the turn it arrives hampers its effectiveness as well. Where as with just flying up there with a pair of wings in my experience tends to have the Daemon Prince killed by turn 3 but that was after the enemy was mauled by it quite badly.

I've tried it too , but it's difficult to really pull it off .

You need to choose a good place to deep strike , and if you don't scatter awfully to run and take cover ( if at all possible )

I wouldn't recommend it , one of the Daemon Prince's uses its to "scare" your opponent when simultaneously advancing most of your list towards the enemy .

I think .

Seems my thoughts were about right.

1. Scatter is too risky

2. Too much time before they come in

3. No visible "threat" unit on the table to draw fire

4. No assault the turn they do come in

About the same arguments as DSing Termi's but at least Termi's can shoot when they drop in

I just never thought about it before that they even could Deep Strike. Always just hidden them behind LRs etc. Oh well, guess I should have stayed in bed B)

DS'ing a DP or any hth unit seems a bad idea to me b/c they can't assault the turn they come in. Another prob is that they have a 50% chance of comimg in on turn 2, when none of the rest of your army is there to bak them up.

While it's perfectly acceptable to deepstrike daemon princes in C:D armies (it's required after all), the two armies work entirely differently. If everything deep striked then it'd be worthwhile to do the same with the prince. So, in Apocalypse with dreadclaw pods, teleporting terminators and the like, it'd probably work fine. But in standard games, what people said above is why it's a bad idea.

Hey folks.

It looks like this has been pretty well covered, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents anyways....

I'm still fairly new to 40K and am still trying things out, but I've always DS my Demon Prince. Its a win big / lose big situation. When it doesn't scatter (too badly) it can be amazing as it instantly disrupts my opponent's plans as to ignore it would be folly. As I'm a Nurgle fan the extra toughness is huge while it spends the remainder of the turn standing there absorbing all sorts of fire meant for my Rhinos and whatever.

The flip side of course being when its delayed, deviates or gets mowed down. Maybe I'm just lucky but it usually survives. Except for the instance I've yet to live down where it hit and absorbed fire from a Guardian Squad with a weapon platform, a Farseer, and a Dark Reaper squad only to loose it's last wound to a blown psychic roll for Warp Time. :D

As I type this I'm constructing a Land Raider, so I'll be trying the 'hide in cover advance' method soon.

Postumus

Archived