Defilers

What is known about defilers fluffwise? The lexicanum article (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Defiler) doesn't have everything. It was created by Abbadon, but do we know when? Between battles, how are defilers kept/stored? Does the daemon stay in them at all times or are new ones summoned at the beginning of each campaign? Are the daemons inside always insane, or could one be fairly rational?

- They were first encountered on Urthwart in 357.M41.

- Sacrifices are placed inside the hull, under the chained hatch to summon daemons to possess it. They are empty when found wrecked, so likely daemons must be summoned into it each time.

- Sometimes they are made of pieces from all different ages, some dated from 10,000 years ago.

- Techmarine Salernia of the Luna Wolves, whose specialty was working with dreadnoughts, is likely their creator.

US WD 281 has a full article on it; provided all this info.

~642 years. Also, I would say that, unlike the dreadnoughts, defilers are not at all insane. Not insane, but very, very :) at their current situation (stuck inside a metal shell). They are actually a bit cunning, any bit as much as a daemon is.

It's a mixed bag.

They'd be upset that they're stuck following the instructions of another and do try and fight against it but well, Sorcery and all that.

But generally the reason why all Daemons always rampage in the Materium is that they know that even bound to objects and machinery, they've only got a limited amount of time before they would wind back up in the Warp so they try to make as much out of it as they can.

Easily, just as there are Soul Grinders who enter the pact willingly - there must be Daemons who are willing to endure a dull metal body for a time.

Yeah I was going to say that it would probably be very similar to how Soulgrinders are created with the exception that Defilers and their possession are controled by Marines not Daemons.

There's also a suggestion that Defilers are called as such because the ground over which they walk becomes blasted and corrupt. A characterful special rule would be to have any unit that wishes to charge the Defiler in assault take a mandatory dangerous terrain test if they are successful.

There's also a suggestion that Defilers are called as such because the ground over which they walk becomes blasted and corrupt. A characterful special rule would be to have any unit that wishes to charge the Defiler in assault take a mandatory dangerous terrain test if they are successful.

That would be a good rule and make it more fluffed. But as ever, Chaos get short changed... (stopping there due to not wanting to jump on my soap box in this weather...)

Nope Abby built it. If the IWs built it it would be armor 14, 13, 11 AND be able to fire its other weapons in addition to the battlecannon... and/or it would have indirect capabilities. Or it would be smaller, with just an indirect battlecannon and be an all terrarin seige gun :D .

I think I'd be comfortable hypothesising that the defiler's daemons aren't so angry about their entombing in a defiler, after all the competition for that honourarium is great in the Warp. The similarities in the bodies make me think that perhaps the defilers and Soulgrinders are one, that maybe even a Soulgrinder is a defiler that has been in existence for some great period of time. As stated in the Chaos Daemons book, the SG's bodies distort and change over time into a more Daemon like form.

Redgardless, I'd always assumed that they were an Iron Warrior invention, but the good (or bad!) book says others, and IronWinds brings up a good point. XD

The similarities in the bodies make me think that perhaps the defilers and Soulgrinders are one, that maybe even a Soulgrinder is a defiler that has been in existence for some great period of time. As stated in the Chaos Daemons book, the SG's bodies distort and change over time into a more Daemon like form.

I'm pretty sure the Daemon codex mentions something about Soulgrinders being made from possessed armor or daemon engines since they already have the taint of Chaos.

Soul Grinders are Greater Daemons that no longer wish to serve the Pantheon and instead turn to the Great Forge. The Daemons of the Forge take raw materials from the Materium that had slipped/been dragged back to the Forge and bind the Daemons essence to it. They never specifically said it would be a Defilers chasis so they could effectively take anything but it's just a preference by the Forge to build Soul Grinders as Spider Walkers imo. I believe there was also a bit of fluff in there about all young Soul Grinders looking the same but as they age, their form twists and warps to reflect the daemon they were before becoming a Soul Grinder.

Why does everyone think Soulgrinders come from Greater Daemons? Why would I go from being a general of am army to being someone else's gather of materials? Personally i think the Soulgrinders are lesser daemons because it says one luck daemon is selected from the other thousands around the Forge and I dont really think there are thousands of Greater Daemons.

Just my two cents sorry

Why does everyone think Soulgrinders come from Greater Daemons? Why would I go from being a general of am army to being someone else's gather of materials? Personally i think the Soulgrinders are lesser daemons because it says one luck daemon is selected from the other thousands around the Forge and I dont really think there are thousands of Greater Daemons.

Just my two cents sorry

agreed, i always assumed that it was just a lesser daemon. though i do beleive there are thousands of greater daemons.

imperial armour 7 has some cool info on the defiler, its just half of the info says "unknown" next to it.

Cause if you're a Greater Daemon of [x], you are still at the beck and call of a master that can snuff you out in an instant. If you're a soul grinder, due to the mix of warpstuff and materium, that connection gets severed/stifled severely, and the Forge will help ensure you wont get snuffed so long as you continue to just bring back more raw materials when you go on a rampage in the Materium. Far as I know there are only two things a Soul Grinder has to do and everything else is left up to them.

1. Pick up some spare nuts and bolts when they go shopping for blood

2. Defend the Forge when required

Archived