Combi-Question: Attacks, Grenades and movement

FusionHS

Hey guys,

Me and my dad just started table top, me with my BT army and him with his ultramarines.

We've had afew games now, and had alot of fun, but we have afew despuits in the rules that we would like to iron out before we embarrass ourselves in front of a crowd :P

Attacks:

I'm completly confused with the number of attacks a model gets in situations considering his wargear and profile.

How do i work out the amount of attacks the model gets on ranged and assault? spesificly a unite with more then one weapon and more then one attacks in his profile? and when i charge, does the +1 attack count as a CCW or can i let it count as an extra hit from an equipped power sword?

Grenades:

I understand how and when to use them, but the problem is i cant find out how many times a squad/model can use them.

Is it one model once per game, or per round or otherwise? I want to use my melta-bombs and krak grenades specificly

Movement

When the codex or rule book says a unite can 'move up to #D6" ' do you first roll the dice to see the maximum destance and move them the distance you want to the limit of that in all instances?

Also, can my jump infantry jump the full 12" then run another 6"?

Sorry for these basic questions, we're pretty new and dont have anyone to ask to clear things up at the moment and couldnt find anything clear with the search fuctions.

For attacks, all attacks for each model come from one weapon. If you have a powersword, all your attacks are powersword attacks.

Grenades are used whenever needed. You have them for the whole game.

If you are in a situation where you move d6 inches, you roll it first to see how far. So your jump infantry could move 12 inches then run d6 inches.

Just to add that unless you are a monstrous creature (not counting vehicles here) you can never have more than one shooting attack per turn unless the rules specifically say so. So Chapter Master can only attack with his boltgun once per turn, not three times.

As for the d6 inches, you don't have to move the full distance unless it says so. So you could roll for difficult terrain, get a 6 and 3, and either go full distance, part the way or stay still.

Ok, i got all that now, thx

i would still like to know how the number of attacks in assault is then worked out, considering the models wargear and profile, for instance SM Sargents, say one with a bolter and the other with a bolt pistol and CCW, when his profile says he has 2 attacks.

Also with grenades, im guessing only one model per squad per round can use a meltabomb?

Space marine sergeant with a bolter. 2 base attacks, he gets 2 attacks. If he's charging that turn he gets 3 attacks.

Space marine sergeant with a bolt pistol and ccw. 2 base attacks, +1 for an extra weapon. He gets 3 attacks, if he's charging he gets 4 attacks.

Any model in base to base with the vehicle (or within 2 inches of a model in base to base) that has meltabombs can use them each turn. If you are using krak grenades or meltabombs, each model only gets 1 attack, no matter what their profile says or if they are charging/extra weapon bonuses.

Attacks are pretty simple. you take the value in your profile (for example 2 for that sergent) and add any bonuses (+1 for charging and another +1 if he has 2 close combat weapons). Unless a profile specificly says bonuses are already included, they are not (the only thing I can think of that does this is the chaos defiler that has his DCCW bonuses already counted). All attacks use the the rules of whatever special weapon they use.

So a sergent with a bolter gets 2 attacks, 3 on the charge, all S4

a sergant with a bolt pistol and chainsword gets 3 attacks, 4 on the charge, all S4

A sergent with a bolt pistol and a powersword gets 3 attacks, 4 on the charge, all S4 and ignore armor

A sergent with a bolt pistol and a powerfist gets 2 attacks, 3 on the charge, all S8, initive 1, and ignore armor. (power fists have a rule that makes you not get the bonus for 2 close combat weapons unless both are powerfist)

Rember pistols just count as a CCW in close combat, so even if you had a plasma pistol in all those cases, it would have no more benifit than a bolt pistol in close combat.

For melta bombs, as many models as are equiped with melta bombs may use them, though in most cases only the sergent has the option to get meltabombs. Again grenades of any type can only be used against vehicles, and only get one attack per assault phase regardless of any bonuses that might otherwise apply.

Not quite any type. Photon and Blight are two examples I can think of but yeah pretty much. These grenades don't allow you the bonus attack for charging FusionHS and your opponent will tell you gleefully about them if you charge his unit.

The rule for the powerfist about not getting extra attacks also spreads to chainfists(counts as a powerfist for the sake of this), lightening claws and thunder hammers. If you have 2 different special weapons so a power fist and a lightening claw then you need to choose which type your attacks are gonna be. Powerfist or lighting claw, and you don't gain a bonus attack for the 2 specials. They have to match. It's a kinda penalty for having so many fancy weapons.

Question: In the same vein as the OP, Dreadnoughts have 2 attacks base and have a DCCW as standard, does this mean that a stock dread gets 2 or 3 attacks. And does replacing the DCCW result in 1 or 2 attacks.

Awesome, so just to be sure:

my BT assault marines who can each be given meltabombs, can EACH attach a tank with them each round? so my sqaud of 5 can then give an combined attack of 5 8+2d6 against said tank?

and also, my emperor's champion, who has the black sword and a bolt pistol and A2 in his profile can then attack with 3(4 with charge) power sword attacks?

Yep, although if the vehicle has moved up to 6 inches in it's previous turn then you need 4's to hit it, then you roll to penetrate. And if it has moved more than 6 then you need to roll 6's so there is a chance you might miss. This is where people get a bit torn between one chance with a meltabomb vs many powerfist attacks.

I don't know what the Black Sword is but if it's not a two handed weapon then that is correct. Two handed weapons don't allow you to use a 2nd CCW.

How do i work out the amount of attacks the model gets on ranged and assault?

The number of attacks a model can make in close combat works as the other posters have described here (or is described on page 37 in the rulebook).

The number of ranged shots a model can fire depends entirely on the weapon it is using, and has nothing to do with number of attacks in the models profile or the number of weapons it carries. While close combat weapons only have certain properties, ranged weapons have their own profile (with range, strength, AP and Type) and how often the weapon can fire depends on the type. See the pages 27-32 in the rulebook for the different weapon types.

Generally, each ranged weapon can only be fired once per shooting phase, but there are some types that allow the weapon to fire multiple shots. "Assault X" or "Heavy X" weapons allow the weapon to fire a number of shots. E.g. a Stormbolter with "Assault 2" can fire two shots, a heavy Bolter with "Heavy 3" can fire three shots. "Rapid Fire" weapons can fire twice at targets up to 12" away or once at a target within the weapons maximum range.

When the codex or rule book says a unite can 'move up to #D6" ' do you first roll the dice to see the maximum destance and move them the distance you want to the limit of that in all instances?

Usually in these instances you roll for the allowed movement distance. E.g. when moving through difficult terrain, the rolled distance is the 'maximum distance (...) that (...) the models (...) may move'. There my be instances though where unit is moved exactly d6".

Archived