Review of Dark Creed WB novel

minigun762

"Of course new components are produced, but the expense is so great that it is avoided if at all possible"

More evidence GW doesn't really understand the scale of the universe they've created. There are supposedly only a million Space Marines. Absurd, but go with it. Assume 10% are Terminator Marines. Further assume that the cost per marine of a new suit of Terminator armor is the equivalent of $100 million. Rather extravagant for a single man don't you think? That's 100,000 * 100 million or $10,000,000,000,000. In an Empire of a million worlds, most of whom have billions of people, that isn't expensive, it's trivial, even if they produced new armor every single year rather than the decades they supposedly last. You'd have to assume the Imperium has a per-capita GDP approaching that of Afghanistan for that cost to even be measurable, let along significant.

Terminator Armor cannot be replaced, hence the reason it is so rare and fought over.

After reading this, I am most definitely going to pick up this book. I read the first two and loved them, and I am also a stalwart fan of Honsou. In all honesty, I am hoping that the ending of the Honsou series happens with an epic showdown between Ventris and Honsou, and Honsou smashes his face in. (In a majestic and awesome manner of course.)

The imperium has lost it's knowledge, but during the 31st millenium (great crusade era) they were able to manufacture it; so maybe some of the Dark mechanicus still have some knowledge to build termie armour..

I thought Dark Creed was an awesome novel and i couldn't put it down once i started reading it. Plus its inspired me to do a Word Bearers Host this year. I did notice that the Word Bearers seemed to be able to cop some heavy casualties and continued fight on regardless. I hope if a another novel is written up for this series it will involve the White Consuls getting some payback (Probably not as half the chapter was annihilated) or the next novel brings back some the White Consuls characters.

I thought Dark Creed was an awesome novel and i couldn't put it down once i started reading it. Plus its inspired me to do a Word Bearers Host this year. I did notice that the Word Bearers seemed to be able to cop some heavy casualties and continued fight on regardless. I hope if a another novel is written up for this series it will involve the White Consuls getting some payback (Probably not as half the chapter was annihilated) or the next novel brings back some the White Consuls characters.

I doubt it.

Marduk is now on the Council.

He's got bigger fish to fry.

Oh man! I forgot my favorite part of the whole book

I loved how they actually told you what happened to Lorgar. Its annoying that all the Chaos Primarchs are out of the picture but at least in this case, we know what he's up to.

not really liking it, felt it was more a marketing excerise by having all kinds of units in it but those units had bit parts in the story.

felt very much like a marketing ploy to me, don't get me wrong, i love chaos n seeing the golden throne's finest getting some, but the word bearers vibe aint there, not much summon or daemon action apart from the old flying girls, thought the WB were meant to be the daemon master summoners, my 2 cents

nick

I personally loved the book, espically the scale of the battle within.

It was also nice to hear what Lorgar is up to. My favorite character is still Kol Badar who is apparently a bit more cunning than meets the eye.

One thing i continue not to like in BL novels across the board is how absurdly powerful they portray Necrons.. It seems like the current condinition is that if Necrons show up they pretty much win regardless of whats around. Thier faster, stronger, tougher, and better in general than anything else.

I think that makes it a bit boring from both Necron and non-necron fans, as its not really a contest anymore.

Anyways who knows.

I loved how they actually told you what happened to Lorgar. Its annoying that all the Chaos Primarchs are out of the picture but at least in this case, we know what he's up to.

We don't really know what he's up to. What does it really mean for a Daemon Primarch to "meditate on Chaos"? Why did he do it? What if anything has he learned? Is he still moderately sane or have his meditations made him too alien psychologically to relate to or deal with mortals? Is he able to stop or has he been so mesmerized by the warp that he'll be there forever? Why is it taking so long? Plenty of juicy information left to expand on.

We don't really know what he's up to. What does it really mean for a Daemon Primarch to "meditate on Chaos"? Why did he do it? What if anything has he learned? Is he still moderately sane or have his meditations made him too alien psychologically to relate to or deal with mortals? Is he able to stop or has he been so mesmerized by the warp that he'll be there forever? Why is it taking so long? Plenty of juicy information left to expand on.

Very true. It doesn't give the whole story away but it gives us some interesting tidbits to play with. At a bare minimum we know where he is.

I doubt it. Marduk is now on the Council. He's got bigger fish to fry.

True that. Perhaps the next novel will dwell deeper into the Word Bearers hierarchy and the council. If not, they can still continue on waging war with whomever chaos deems expendable. Ill read both gladly either way!

True that. Perhaps the next novel will dwell deeper into the Word Bearers hierarchy and the council. If not, they can still continue on waging war with whomever chaos deems expendable. Ill read both gladly either way!

If there is a next one, compartively few series go past the third book, personally I very much hope it does.

Warning: might contain spoilers, but I doubt it

I finished it a few days ago, and give it about the same rating as everyone else, 8/10. The Warmonger was always one of my favorite characters, along with Burias. The whole "Brotherhood" thing with Kor Phaeron was kind of annoying at first, because I thought they were actually going to kill him. I would hate Anthony Reynolds if the Master of Faith were to die. Did the Warmonger die? It never really said. Overall a good book, especially to Word Bearers players.

Actually yeah, maybe a few small spoilers in there.

I finished it a few days ago, and give it about the same rating as everyone else, 8/10. The Warmonger was always one of my favorite characters, along with Burias. The whole "Brotherhood" thing with Kor Phaeron was kind of annoying at first, because I thought they were actually going to kill him. I would hate Anthony Reynolds if the Master of Faith were to die. Did the Warmonger die? It never really said. Overall a good book, especially to Word Bearers players.

Yeah. The Warmonger's toast. The Necron Lord ripped cut him up like a side of beef.

Yeah. The Warmonger's toast. The Necron Lord ripped cut him up like a side of beef.

I wouldn't be so sure. I thought it was left fairly grey.

I wouldn't be so sure. I thought it was left fairly grey.

I have a feeling that a certain Icon bearing champion who made a bad decision and was almst killed may get to take Warmonger's place. What would be the worst torment for Burias? Being trapped in a dread forever.

I have a feeling that a certain Icon bearing champion who made a bad decision and was almst killed may get to take Warmonger's place. What would be the worst torment for Burias? Being trapped in a dread forever.

Interesting, very interesting. I think you're onto something <_<

Interesting, very interesting. I think you're onto something :confused:

Yeah, Burias is screwed. Which is good, because he actually got annoying in the second book, and by the first third of the third book, I was ready to slap him. Whiney little bastard.

Yeah, Burias is screwed. Which is good, because he actually got annoying in the second book, and by the first third of the third book, I was ready to slap him. Whiney little bastard.

He was a cool character but he did this to himself. He had plenty of warnings, which is saying something when you consider your average Chaos warlord has zero tolerance for failure.

Actually now that you mention whelps, I think Orlando Bloom would make an excellent Burias, especially if the director makes the actor playing Marduk bitch-slap him repeatedly.

Brilliant!

p.s. there goes the last shred of respect I had for Mr. Icon Bearer.

But were they not actual blood brothers?

Not by actual blood I think.. some long forgotten sworen oath sealed with blood or something like that..

Too bad that the Warmonger died, I kinda liked that "character", I wonder who he was as Dark apostle.

I'm guessing Sol Talgron..

Archived