Shooting at Buildings

grubb

Hi Guys,

Quick question about the rules around shooting at buildings, hopefully this is in the right spot. I have an opponent who plays imperial guard who holes up in a building with lots of heavy weapons squads. (which is annoying because more often than not, my side of the table won't have anything to block LOS from the upper levels)

I just recently read that I am able to target the building itself, and had the following questions.

1) Is there a difference in AV from a building and a city ruin? i couldn't find this in the rules as i figure a ruined building (that's only a couple of walls left standing may not have as high an AV as an intact building, or is the AV the same regardless?

2) If you penetrate and get a shaken result, does it mean all models within the building cannot fire next turn?

3) What is meant if the building is wrecked? can units no longer go inside? and all units must evacuate the building? I can understand when a vehicle gets wrecked, it's just a smoking hulk, but what of a building? does it become rubble?

4) Can any weapon be used to bring down a building? or only specific kinds?

5) If a vindicator shoots at units on the top floor of a building, can the building also be damaged as well with this shot?

I just wanted to understand this more before i send my vindicators to flush these guys out.

Thanks for reading.

a.

buildings can be shot at, they don't give cover saves but instead protect those inside it with an armour value.

ruins give people a cover save, they cannot be shot at or destroyed (unless it's a weapon which removes terrain or you've agreed that certain weapons can destroy it, eg, most destroyer weapons remove terrain on a 4+ I think)

Yes, shaken means the occupants can't fire.

buildings are replaced by a ruin or a crater of sufficent size. Of course, if you don't have any of these handy you can just tape the area of difficult terrain or leave it empty. "good greif, That blast made a perfectly level piece of ground where the building was!" Yes, the units must evacuate. Basicly, treat a building like an immobile transport vehicle with no weapons (unless it has working weapons or it's on tracks)

any weapon can destroy a building, just like any weapon can destroy a vehicle. Weather it penertrates or not is a different matter

well you can only damage the occupants of a building by destroying the building or flaming the fireports/doors/windows. However if you can see a large portion of the unit the building is treated as open topped.

hope I helped.

Generally building that act like that are things like the Planet Strike bastions although you should agree on what are ruins and what are fortified buildings before hand.

Fortified buildings act like an immobilised vehicle with no weapons (unless modelled and you agree they are actually on there) at AV14 I think. Anything less than a wreck is counted as shaken unless it has weapons that can be removed.

Thanks guys,

So if the terrain feature is a ruin (giving cover saves), if you were to drop a demolisher shell on it, do you only hit the people on the top floor (like a building), or does everyone underneath it (on lower levels) get hit as well?

We use terrain features that show partial walls but are multi-level. i think in this case this terrain would be more of a ruined building (giving cover saves) than a full building correct (protecting those inside with an AV value)? (damn.. was hoping i could lay waste to the building and everyone inside)

So if the terrain feature is a ruin (giving cover saves), if you were to drop a demolisher shell on it, do you only hit the people on the top floor (like a building), or does everyone underneath it (on lower levels) get hit as well?

You must declare before you fire which level you are aiming at. The blast template can only hit models on that level [bRB p85].

We use terrain features that show partial walls but are multi-level. i think in this case this terrain would be more of a ruined building (giving cover saves) than a full building correct (protecting those inside with an AV value)? (damn.. was hoping i could lay waste to the building and everyone inside)

Yes I'd agree, a ruin would not count as a complete building with an VA value. However, terrain can be set anyway you want provided you and your opponent decide and agree before the game.

BTW suggested AV values for various building types are shown on p79 of the BRB.

Cheers

I

Not ruins. Ruins are area terrain, and have their own set of rules apart from buildings. Buildings are intact, and have AV values, acting for all intents and purposes as an immobile transport with fire points.

Archived