Black Legion vs Red Corsairs

Walter Payton

As you can see from my avatar, I collect Iron Warriors, and have amassed nearly 6000 points. I heard from this thread that the new Codex: CSM was a bit, well, rubbish, and so I stuck to my old 3rd ed one. However, a friend who collects Red Corsairs (upstarts!) wanted to go to a doubles tournament, so I trotted down to my local armoury (okay, GW) and bought a copy. Now, I have to say at this point that even the cover art wasn;t as good as 3rd ed. Anyway, inside, the mighty sons of Perturabo got one paragraph. One bloody paragraph! There was lots more about armies such as the Red Corsairs, The Purge, Haakanor's Reavers.

Its obvious what gw want to do here. They want to add new depth to the CSM faction. But I can't help feel that they are selling out the venerable founding legions for others. For instance, Abbadon got barely half of the fluff Huron Blackheart had. Do GW want to move away from 1st Founding generally. Is this a good thing? And perhaps in a couple of years time, when I want to buy a Terminator Squad, the marines on the box will be Red Corsairs instead of Black Legionairres....

Your thoughts?

We've had many topics on this already and (mostly older) players feel that it is a bad thing.

The designers wanted to focus on Renegades so they got more fluff paragraphs etc.

As a result of the strong focus on Renegades as well as the heavy-handed restructuring many Chaos Legion players suffered from it.

Is it a bad thing if the box art shows Red Corsairs? I don't think so.

Is it a bad thing that fluff was removed, existing fluff changed to make way for Renegades? not necessarily but, excluding flavour and fluff from the rules, neglecting the existing fans, as well as restricting our choices for efficient lists (with tournaments in mind) is.

On the very same page as this topic: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=188354

Archived