Hurricane Bolter Question

GLD

Hi all,

I have a question with regards to the hurricane bolter. At first glance I thought, what's the point? 6 twin linked bolter shots at strength 4?

But then I read the rules - a hurricane bolter acts as three twin linked bolters - so does this mean that if you are within 12", the bolter can rapid fire? If so I would be a lot more tempted to take one on my iron clad as 12 TL bolter shots plus a heavy flamer on turn one is going to tear through some stuff!!

Cheers for your thoughts!

Thanks for the move and the replies, when i mentioned twelve shots I had the image of a crusader in my head - oops lol - might have to get one of those as well!

I think the crusader is the best LR for advancing quickly, all bolter shots are defensive so can fire and the Potms can give you either a twin assault cannon or MM shot ontop.

and all that whilst moving upto 12" per turn

Gc08

If I recall correctly, nothing on the LRC can fire moving more than 6 inches. You have to be fast to fire moving 12.

the LRC in old dexes used to be able to fire at 12 inches, but that was removed awhile ago (though it may still be legal in the DH codex)

I think the crusader is the best LR for advancing quickly, all bolter shots are defensive so can fire and the Potms can give you either a twin assault cannon or MM shot ontop.

and all that whilst moving upto 12" per turn

Gc08

If I recall correctly, nothing on the LRC can fire moving more than 6 inches. You have to be fast to fire moving 12.

the LRC in old dexes used to be able to fire at 12 inches, but that was removed awhile ago (though it may still be legal in the DH codex)

Nothing in the 5th edition codex which tells us we can't do that. All it says is that it has hurricane bolters which are three twin-linked bolters, aka defencive weapons. then it has an assault cannon and a multi-melta which can be fired either both (moving 6") or one of them (moving 12") as per PotMS

Recall that the Hurricane Bolter is a Str 4 weapon, making it classify as a Defensive weapon. This is why when moving at 6" the LRC can fire both Hurricane Bolters (defensive weapons), the assault cannon (as it's single weapon which it's allowed to fire as a vehicle moving 6" or less), and the Multimelta (if equipped, using Power of the Machine Spirit). No other vehicle can lay down this much firepower when moving, which is what gives the LRC it's laurels, so to speak.

If the LRC moves over 6", it can only fire one weapon using Power of the Machine Spirit; the vehicle rules are pretty clear that you can't typically fire anything (even defensive weapons) when moving over 6". PotMS lets you break a rule and fire one weapon. Perhaps that's where the confusion lies?

Recall that the Hurricane Bolter is a Str 4 weapon, making it classify as a Defensive weapon. This is why when moving at 6" the LRC can fire both Hurricane Bolters (defensive weapons), the assault cannon (as it's single weapon which it's allowed to fire as a vehicle moving 6" or less), and the Multimelta (if equipped, using Power of the Machine Spirit). No other vehicle can lay down this much firepower when moving, which is what gives the LRC it's laurels, so to speak.

If the LRC moves over 6", it can only fire one weapon using Power of the Machine Spirit; the vehicle rules are pretty clear that you can't typically fire anything (even defensive weapons) when moving over 6". PotMS lets you break a rule and fire one weapon. Perhaps that's where the confusion lies?

Remember, I'm only discussing moving over 6 inches. I understand what it does at 6 or less. GC08 said at 12 inches you could fire the hurricane bolters and something else which is wrong.

My memory states that POTMS states it can let you fire an additional weapon if you moved 6 or less. I have never seen anyone attempt to fire anything moving more than 6.

You can always fire defensive weapons if I remember correctly...The Power of Machine Spirit special rule then gives the Land Raider a shot with one of its more powerful guns...

*EDIT*

Looks like a tank that moves 12" cannot fire anything, unless it has PoTMS, even defensive weapons. Defensive weapons can only fire if the vehicle has moved 6" or less - that's my interpretation of the rule book on my lap lol - pages 57 and 58 FYI.

My memory states that POTMS states it can let you fire an additional weapon if you moved 6 or less. I have never seen anyone attempt to fire anything moving more than 6.

PotMS allows you to fire a single weapon "when you would otherwise be unable (unallowed) to do so." You are not normally allowed to fire a weapon when moving over 6", thus PotMS will allow you to fire one of your choice. That's why you always want to take Extra Armor on your LR, so you can always move and shoot (never stunned = can move, PotMS = can fire at least one gun always). <3 Move 12", fire one gun (only).

I'm so used to the BA/DA version which specificially disallows firing a weapon moving over 6 inches. Didn't remember the difference in the new codex.

I'm so used to the BA/DA version which specificially disallows firing a weapon moving over 6 inches. Didn't remember the difference in the new codex.

Yeah it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. We can move when stunned which is useful, but only fire with PotMS moving no more than 6" at BS2 and not even at a different target ;). On balance with PotMS I think the C:SM wings it :yes:.

which is why out of date DH-codex LR Crusaders are better, b/c thy specifically say that the bolters can always fire. Yippee for never updating old rules.

Yay for lame Assault Cannons? :P

Anyway, here is the list of what can fire:

Up to 6" (combat speed, any codex):

Assault Cannon, Hurricane Bolters, PotMS the Multi-Melta (if added)

6" to 12" (crusing speed, C: SM, SW LRC)

PotMS one gun (each Hurricane counts as one)

6" to 12" (crusing speed, C: DH LRC)

PotMS one gun and fire the Hurricanes

6" to 12" (crusing speed, C: BT, DA, BA LRC)

Nothing.

I feel it's important to highlight that the reason you can fire both hurricane bolters is that they count as defensive weapons as they are strength 4, which lets you fire them in addition to your one weapon for the turn as well as your PotMS weapon.

Also, remember that you can fire at a maximum of two targets (if you move 6" or less):

- You pick one target for the weapon you chose to fire and the two defensive weapons (for instance, the assault cannon and the two hurricane bolters)

- The weapon you fire with PotMS can fire at a different target per the PotMS rule (C:SM codex). I don't know if the older codexes allow PotMS to fire at a seperate target than the primaries, but I'm under the impression that they do?

Also, if you throw a Storm Bolter on to the LR, it can also fire along with the Hurricane Bolters (it is also a defensive weapon).

I don't know if the older codexes allow PotMS to fire at a seperate target than the primaries, but I'm under the impression that they do?

They don't in DA/BA.

- The weapon you fire with PotMS can fire at a different target per the PotMS rule (C:SM codex). I don't know if the older codexes allow PotMS to fire at a seperate target than the primaries, but I'm under the impression that they do?

Also, if you throw a Storm Bolter on to the LR, it can also fire along with the Hurricane Bolters (it is also a defensive weapon).

Black Templar PotMS can fire at seperate targets per their codex.

A storm bolter is a defensive weapon, and would be able to fire if the land raider moved no more than 6".

Archived