Space Wolves in Progress

Waltima

Hey all,

I've been out of 40k since about 1999. I'm amazed by all the changes (especially to space marines)!

I plan on creating a Blood Angel army in the near future but I'm not going to bother until new rules and (hopefully) new models are released. In the mean time I'm whipping up some Space Wolves. They'll probably end up on Ebay but it's a good opportunity to get back into things.

I decided to pass on the baby blue and yellow shoulder pad Space Wolves and decided on gray with black and red shoulder pads. I want my regular troops to look good but I also want to find the balance between speed and quality - I do want to finish this project.

I'm currently waiting on some products to help me with the decals but I figured I'd share my dreadnought in progress. Feedback is welcome.

gallery_51632_4440_548995.jpg

gallery_51632_4440_253001.jpg

Everything looks outstanding, there's not much that I can say needs to be improved.

As a matter of personal preference i would consider painting the lascannon muzzles dark red or something, but then who knows how it will look after decals.

*The searchlight could probably use some color. Maybe just a little bit of off white to suggest glass.

Well done. it's a clean and crisp paint job. Did you choose not to add any Space Wolf markings, Great company badges or Wolf tails/pelts and tooth necklaces? Or did you prefer to leave it as generic so you could use it with some other SM army?

Edit: I did not read the part of the decals in your post because my skin is on Space wolf mode and your words are in white! Barely visible. ;)

I do wish it had some pelts, teeth, etc.

I don't have an abundance of spare parts and the pelts and stuff I do have don't seem to go with it too well, but it would add a lot. Hopefully when the decals go on it will look "wolfy" enough.

I hadn't considered the lens technique on the spot light but now that you mention it I think I'll try it. Thanks.

Have more pictures of the units I'm working on.

The scouts are nearing completion but are also waiting on decals. I would like to add a little something extra to them but I'm not sure what. Their bases didn't flock as well as I'd hoped they would so I'll have to revisit them. I didn't have a lot of parts to work with on the melta gun conversion, so he's rocking the heavy bolter arm. If anyone has done a more successful conversion with space wolf box set parts I would love to see it.

gallery_51632_4440_528212.jpg

gallery_51632_4440_211213.jpg

gallery_51632_4440_434739.jpg

The terminators are waiting on decals as well. I'm happy with them overall and I know I have a little bit of highlighting to do on their shoulder pads. I'm waiting on some magnets right now for the one missing the arm. I want to magnetize him with a heavy flamer and assault cannon.

Constructive advice is welcome!

gallery_51632_4440_179751.jpg

gallery_51632_4440_286336.jpg

gallery_51632_4440_368732.jpg

gallery_51632_4440_333788.jpg

The terminators, while painted well, seem a little bland.

Try adding one or two more colors in the highlights to bring the black, red, and gray up. They are looking 90% done, you just need to hit all of your colors again. Play around with your paints on a wet palate if you don't have the right highlight colors on hand.

I like them. What colour grey are you using? I haven't started painting my Wolves yet and I really like grey colour you've got. What company are you going with or are you just making one up?

I agree with Dan The Deamon about the terminators not looking quite finished, although it could just be the lack of bases.

As for the melta scout you could just use one of the pistol arms if you do another one. I've got a grey hunter with a melta and he is just using an assault marine pistol arm with the pistol replaced. Why shoot someone in the face with a pistol when you could use a melta? :lol:

Thanks stormdragon. They're codex gray highlighted with fortress gray. I think it works a lot better than the baby blue.

Not sure about the purity seals, although it would make sense. Don't know why GW would chose to model them on them if they weren't allowed to have them though. Then again they've made bigger mistakes (dark eldar).

Good call on the pistol hand for the melta. If I had a few more tools I probably could have hollowed out an area on his fist to sit the melta in but right now I don't really have any way of doing that.

Archived