Special Characters with army size requirements?!

Uhr

Hi all...

This is not real Space Marine / Dark Angels issue, but I am a Dark Angels player, and some of my friends are Dark Eldar, and Tau players...

I was wondering if there is still points requirements for old (still playable) special characters? It used to be that players were required to ask their opponents if they could field them, and that changed in 5th edition, but I cannot find anything about army size requirements...

Dark Eldar - Lelith Hesperax 1500 pts army size requirement.

Tau - Commander Farsight 1500 pts army size requirement.

Can characters with army size requirements 1500 pts be fielded in 1000 pts army, or 750 pts?

Thank You.

Yes, but their codex says that their opponent need to agree with fielding their special characters too. And 5th edition removed that for all special characters, so we are wondering if 5th edition removed that army size requirement too...

I had army size requirements for my special characters in 3rd edition codex (Supreme Grand Master Azrael, etc), but 4th edition codex doesn't mention any of it, neither the 5th edition FAQ & Errata. So it seems unfair that other armies have to abide by severely outdated mechanics...

Anyone else?

Rules in a Codex should be used instead of those in the rulebook if there is a contradiction, according to GW.

However, if you guys are ok with each other using special characters at lower points values, then you should go ahead and do so. You should play the game how you want :ph34r:

Yep, if your headed to a tournament then youll need to field the minimum force size... if your playing with your buddies you can do whatever the heck you want, so just talk it over with them.

the rulebooks are just guidelines, its up to you all as the players to decide in the end, its your game.

The refuge of the GW apologist. Rules should be written to eliminate the need for this, it's the reason the rules are written, so that every player, every game regardless of circumstance can expect the same conditions. If the main 'rule' of the game is, 'feel free to make up your own rules' then it's not really game (at least not to the same standard as scrabble or something [i.e. you don't see scrabble players having to agree before playing if they'll allow certain kinds of words or not]).

And, 'there are a lot of possibilities and it's too hard to solve them comprehensively' isn't the answer, because other game systems of the same type can do it, and do it well, GW just doesn't care, because from their perspective they're not fundamentally about the 'game' but about the 'hobby.'

the rulebooks are just guidelines, its up to you all as the players to decide in the end, its your game.

The refuge of the GW apologist. Rules should be written to eliminate the need for this, it's the reason the rules are written, so that every player, every game regardless of circumstance can expect the same conditions. If the main 'rule' of the game is, 'feel free to make up your own rules' then it's not really game (at least not to the same standard as scrabble or something [i.e. you don't see scrabble players having to agree before playing if they'll allow certain kinds of words or not]).

no the main rule of the game is to have fun, if having fun means doing whatever you want in a game your playing with models you spent money on then go ahead, your free to do anything you want with the people you play with, if your just gonna stick to the black and white rules no questions asked then its no suprise allot of people just get bored and stop playing

OK gents the original rules question has been answered I think.

Rather not go down the 'fun' v 'black and white' discussion path here. Other than to say you are free to agree to do whatever floats your boat during your games of course, but I'm afraid that aspect of the game can't be covered here in the OR section.

Cheers

I

Archived