New Chaos codex

Spacefrisian

With all the other codexes getting updates i keep wondering what they will get. But if we had a hand in it what would you like to see.

For myself:

-More Deamonprince options

-Marks or Wings for all daemon units

-2nd weapon option for Obliterator

-Fix of Possessed

-Limited inducted Daemons/Imperial guard from their codex to represent diversity

-Chaos Lieutanant with upgrades to Sorceror, Dark Apostle or Warsmith

-Veteran skills for Lords and Chosen

Thats pretty much it from my side.

Fix Marks. Fix unit options. Give options for legion rules. Give options for Cult Rules. Bring back animosity in some form. Dreadnaughts that dont have to be insane.

Oh,

Internal Balance.

I'd like to see awesome Chaos Space Marine squads, good HQs, and a reasonable selection of Heavy Support options. Oh, wait....we've already got all of that.

Worthwhile Fast Attack options (or bikes as troops) and sane dreads would be nice, too, but I'm not holding my breath...

I'd like to see a more clear definition of who Fabius can and cannot enhance.

To me it looks pretty clear, but it is kinda murky... just the normal CSM troops

back on topic, would love to see some better/more fast attack options, and drop pods (we had 'em in the horus heresy, why not anymore?) and also some more Land Raider varients, or at least ones with same transport capacity instead of the inexplicable 2 less

EDIT: Sane dreds would be awesome as well

Weapon options for Thousand Sons, an option to go between the old style Blast Bolter and the current AP3 Bolter.

Better rules for Ahriman.

Stronger Sorcerers... better than those damnable Wolf Priests...

Dreadclaws. Screw Droppods. We need Dreadclaws!

Chaos/Artificer 2+ Armor

The ability to get 3+ invuls in our army...

- Cult options for all standard units (Lords, Sorcs, Terminators, Chosen, CSM, havocs).

- Sane or more clearly worded dreads.

- Drop Pods

- Tank variants to better show the experimentation of the Dark Mechanicus

- Daemon Engines

- Daemonic Gift armory for HQs, champs, and chosen. Also wargear options more in line with how much there is in the vanilla marine codex

- Power psychic powers

- Return of veteran skills (happy to lose uber grit).

- Less random possessed

- Re-work of icon system.

- More useful/efficent special chars

- List altering rules, either through special chars like in vanilla dex or legion rules like in 3.5 dex

- Daemon codex troops if marked HQ.

- Return of bonuses for sacred number squads (free champ is good)

- Chosen where every member of the squad has access to all sorts of wargear and daemonic gifts like in 3.5

Etc...

Typhus with Eternal Warrior. He's been kicking about for ages, has that not granted him it? Isn't there a story where he fights a butt load of guard all on his own? And if not make him T5 not T4(5).

Special characters conferring special rules and options rather than a different stat line and a special weapon.

The choice to have 3 Princes. Naaah that's just greeeedy.

Anti-Psyker capabilities.

FNP on a Prince with MoN. More wishful thinking really.

Dozer Blades that worked like the loyalists.

Siege Shields.

1. A decent "Mark" application system

- I will go out on a limb and say that the application of Marks of Chaos has never been entirely sound. The last Codex made a grand mistake of making "Marked" troops cult troops automatically, whereas the current one has a shoddy and half hearted "icon" system that makes not a lick of sense in background terms. A possible idea I've been throwing around with my home-brewed rules (which have been extensive since the advent of the current codex) is the ability to apply basic "marks" to any unit in the chaos space marine army which function as the tried and tested stat-boosts (e.g. +1 attack for The Mark of Khorne, +1 toughness for the Mark of Nurgle etc) then, if the player so wishes, allowing a further upgrade (for an appropriate points cost) that can elevate particular units to "cult" status (so, for example, you could represent a Lord that isn't quite as high in the eyes of his patron than certain others by simply giving him the patron's Mark, then if you wish to "elevate" him pay the points to make him a full on "Plague Marine" or "Khorne Berserker," which would also come with certain limitations in terms of options as well as special rules benefits). The icon system needs to be scrapped.

2. A more definite distinction between Traitor Legionnaries and Renegades

- Alot has been made in the background of the new codex that there are two loose sub-categories of Chaos Space Marine: more recently turned Renegades and ancient Traitor Marines. Though less numerous, the latter are more battle hardened and have a greater clarity of purpose than their younger allies. Personally, I'd like to see "Traitor Legionnaries" introduced as an elites choice in place of the woefully under- baked "Chosen." Traitor Legionnaries would have boosted stats, be Fearless and cost a hell of alot more points. They would also have access to certain veteran skills such as "Infiltrate" etc, as well as a variety of war gear they've scavenged over the centuries. There would also ideally be an option of upgrading your standard Chaos Lord to a Traitor Legionnary so that Traitor Legionnaries could also function as troops options under the right circumstances. The downside to such an army is that it would be very small owing to a prohibitive points cost, but highly elite, whereas Renegade armies would be more numerous, but less capable on a model by model basis.

3. Distinct, God specific daemons

- The ability to apply Marks to Greater Daemons and Daemon Packs, perhaps also a number of limited options in the form of daemonic gifts so that players can customise their own daemons without them being bland and flavourless.

4. Particular rules for Chaos Psykers

- This is not exclusively a fault of the current codex; it is something that has been consistent in the portrayal of Chaos psykers since the game's inception. Rightfully, the manifestation of chaos psychic power or "sorcery" should be different from the way psychic powers manifest for other races. Chaos sorcerers are consistently described as allowing the power of the Warp to flow through them, free from the superstitious restrictions of their loyalist counterparts but also prey to the risks of doing so. then we have Thousand Sons sorcerers, who should technically be the most out and out destructive psykers in the game. the current chaos codex even provides a handy dandy background snippet that could be adapted into a particular rule in the form of Daemonic Pacts. A system whereby a Chaos sorcerer may elect before using a psychic power to utilise a "daemonic pact" to do so could be implemented. Usage of a "Daemonic Pact" allows the psyker to cast the power in question without use of a psychic test. However, there is a chance that the daemon being used will rail against the pact, taking advantage of the situation to possess the sorcerer. Once a psychic power being fuelled by a daemonic pact has been cast, roll a D6. On a 6, the daemon has gone wampy. The Sorcerer will automatically cast every psychic power it possess at the nearest possible target within line of sight (friend or foe) then charge into assault with them (distance doesn't matter). Following the resolution of casualties, combat etc, the sorcerer takes an immediate wound with no saves of any kind allowed. He will function as normal in the next turn. Or something to that effect, probably alot simpler; I'm just making these things up as I go along :tu: But seriously, something to distinguish Chaos Sorcerers and Thousand Sons sorcerers in particular would be very welcome. Oh yes, we also need distinct LORES of powers for each Chaos God.

5. None- cookie cutter daemon princes

- Though I disliked the way Daemon Princes were handled in 3.5, one thing I did appreciate massively was that they were all unique, as Daemon Princes are supposed to be; the background has ALWAYS described Daemon Princes as being as different from one another as one mortal to the next, as they retain a great deal of their individuality from their former lives. I think that a system can be introduced whereby a Chaos Lord can be upgraded to a Daemon Prince without all of the unnecessary clutter and confusion of the last codex:

A Chaos Lord may be upgraded to a Daemon Prince for + blah blah points. He then becomes a Monstrous Creature, gains Eternal Warrior and keeps all of the equipment and gifts he carries. Or something to that effect.

6. A little more in the way of distinctive vehicle options

- Most of the vehicle upgrades in the last codex were somewhat poorly implemented in technical terms, but they were great fun and a nice way of individualising one's tanks. I modelled several Dreads to be daemonically possessed and have Nurgle's Rot. Now they are just prettier crazy dreads that serve no function (as I don't take 'em). However, it would be nice to have some well conceived, well written, characterful upgrades for our vehicles, in particular ways of making them God specific again.

7. No more Lash of Submission

8. cultists, Mutants, etc

- A simple, single adaptable unit that could represent cultists, mutants etc. This would preferably be a mass unit of extremely weak individuals carrying whatever the hell the can pick up, but which can be adapted via the application of particular options. It would also be appropriate if this were a unit that took up no slots on the Force Organisation Chart (a la "Lesser Daemons" in their current incarnation) unless one of the army's H.Q.s met a particular criteria (for example, Chaos Lords, Sorcerers and Daemon Princes could have a "Daemagogue" option that allows cultists/mutants/whatever to be taken as compulsory troops choices).

9. More varied Daemon Engines

- A simple chassis with basic stats that can be upgraded with a limited number of options to represent the plethora of Daemon Engines churned out by the Eye of Terror's Hell Forges.

10. Better realised Daemon Weapons

I would like to see

- Daemonic weapon back to the 3.5 days.

- Daemonic gift back

- Veteran skill back

- Somthing specil for the Chosen, somthing like the Wolf Guard in the term you can split them up & add one to another unit. Also let them pick diffrent type of weapon for each chosen.

- Lt back as another HQ chose, as point out allow to upgread to sorcerer or allow him the abilty to turn to a chaplain for Word Bearer.

- Some new specil ch

Basicly like 3.5 but a bit more update like Marines, Orks, Space Wolves, Guards. Just when you see them, then go back & look that Dark Angels, Blood Angels WD. In no way do I have issue with the current codex as I use my IW regardless as I enjoy all things chaos, but just miss the above mostly.

If anything I would be looking more toward new chaos spure for the model side of things :sweat:

IP

I will play Chaos again if they do this:

Add a cheaper HQ choice (Cheapest is 90 points, and he sucks, without a fair bit of upgrading, compare to ork warboss, for 100 points, you get one with a 5+ inv, and a powerklaw, and maybe another upgrade)

Better Daemons (i.e wings, power weapons/fleet/FNP upgrades, basically making them like the daemons from daemon codex)

Drop Pod/Dreadclaw

Storm Sheilds :sweat:

Land Raider varieties (Why don't Chaos have them? is there a fluff reason?)

some kind of anti-psychic thing

Cheaper Terminators? (or maybe slightly cheaper upgrades, or something....)

maybe a new fast attack? (one that is worth taking.....)

Am I the only one that thinks that "Icons of whatever" are nice for representing God tendencies/worship in Undivided lists ?

E.g. the IW Khorne worship .

I'd still include them "as is" in the new codex ( but along with mark giving rules *per model* for cult legions ) but I'd drop the silly rule about losing the godly favor if the icon bearer was killed . I mean what army in the world leaves behind *any* standard/flag of theirs ? If it weren't for this silly rule despite the high cost I think they would be ( more) seriously considered .

As it stands now there are a number of opponent abilities ( one of these in our own codex - GoC ) that may remove your precious 25-65 pts easily .

Support the 0-1 DP . Chaos Lord/Sorcerer , Bring back the Lieutenant . Sick and tired of Twin DP's .

Please , oh please , some legion rules ( inclusion of serious Daemons for Cult Legion lists , or at the very least ability for generic Daemons to be marked ) .

I think that "veteran skills" are long gone , but I can't say I wouldn't like seeing them return . Tank hunting havocs is a nice reason for this .

I'd like some daemonic gifts .

I'd like to see SERIOUS TZEENTCH SORCERERS .

Anyway , if anyone was paying the slightest attention to the (disgruntled) chaos players' majority we are likely to see a way better codex .

On the other hand they could pay attention to the "old-skool-IW-scarred" non chaos players that still have a party over our frustration with the current codex .

Restrict what you like , I could care less . I restrict myself to a third of the codex as is to play a decent IW list , and I still field absolute underdog lists .

So there , "build us an army worthy of Chaos" . ;)

oh look at that, its whine o' clock!

Personally I think the Icon system is fine...for cultists....

Seriously, a chaos marine squad lost the favor of their god just because bob the banner marine tripped on some dangerous terrain and dropped the banner. What the hell?

But things I'd like to see:

1. Stronger Sorcerors

We can't block other psychic powers. We can't support our own troops. At best we have a 4+ invuln if you swear yourself to Tzeentch. The good majority of our spells are pretty much just guns you need a leadership to shoot.

What do the wolves have again in terms of psykers?

2. Price fix

One of the things that have bothered me is how if we want an effective Tzeentch Sorceror it eventually costs the exact same amount as an even more effective daemon prince. As a result, theres no point in getting a Sorceror when what your paying for is a weaker prince with the ability to join a squad. Same goes for the Lord on this. Either fix the price for what they can do, or give the sorceror and lord more things to make them viable options (something to lower the double DP that isn't limiting numbers)

3. Dreadclaws/drop pods

We had them in the Heresy and the loyalists get them. Last time I checked, the Imperium was supposed to be the failing and stagnating one. Plus, I would think Chaos marines are crazy enough to have the idea of firing a land raider onto the planet from orbit.

4. Variants, of any kind

why the hell is it not a heresy for them to play around with age old machinery and get new variants as a result? Chaos marines on the other hand are free from such restrictions (such as reverence for old things) yet get nothing? (what is the dark mechanicus doing if not developing new toys for us to play with? I thought they could do new and innovative things against the imperial creed since they aren't with the imperium anymore)

5. Buff for Thousand Sons

I love my sons to death, as well as the skill/forethought required to play them. But more often than nought they get reduced to being just super expensive regular marines with a 4+ invuln and no assault viability. Anything new for them to play with that would avoid that feeling of using overpriced marines with no special weapons would be lovely. (not to say they don't get their shining AP3 moments, but still...)

end whining

(blegh, after all of this I feel even worse about our dex. No wonder whining is bad for you, it just makes you a pessimist.)

Archived