Slightly new to 40k, Codex questions

WRappiii

Okay, so I'm fairly new to 40k and have been using 4th Ed rules and Codices for the few months I've been playing. I had relatively little problems though I often forgot rules, but I've just updated to 5th Ed and now I'm extremely confused...

What I don't understand is the wargear sections of the Chaos Codex specifically (though its the same with all the 5th Ed Codices)...

It says under the wargear section that regular old CSM are equipped with a bolter, bolt pistol cc weapon and frag and krak grenades...

Is that all included in the cost? Does each model really carry a bolter AND a pistol, or can they choose to carry one or the other?

And what does that mean for my Plague Marines? What happened to True Grit? Do I still get the effects of True Grit from them carrying a pistol and bolt gun?

I beg your help! I asked another forum and it just confused me more...

Thank You

Right first things first. Forget EVERYTHING from the old codex as it has no bearing on this new book and it will just confuse you.

Yes they have all that equipment in their cost. And your PMs get T4(5) and Feel No Pain. There is no True Grit.

It is easy.

Every standard Chaos Marine has a bolter, a bolt pistol, a close combat weapon, frag and krak grenades included when you buy the marine. No extra cost.

The wargear differs only when you choose cult troops.

For Exapmle: Khorne Bersekers don´t have Bolters and Thousand sons don´t have any close combat weapon.

But thats all noted in the army list entry. When a wargear option costs extra poinst, it is noted there.

So does that mean that each PM can choose to fire the bolt pistol instead of the PM's primary gun in every shooting phase?

And does a PM get an extra attack in CC since he has a bolt pistol and CC weapon?

Thank you guys for the quick response! :D

So does that mean that each PM can choose to fire the bolt pistol instead of the PM's primary gun in every shooting phase?

And does a PM get an extra attack in CC since he has a bolt pistol and CC weapon?

Thank you guys for the quick response! :D

Each shooting phase, any model equipped with more than one gun can choose which to fire.

Handy for when those PMs want to assault, they can shoot the pistol and then assault rather than shoot the bolter and not be able to, or assault without firing anything.

Any model equipped with a standard CCW and a Pistol gains an extra CC attack.

Thank you so much! I have only two more minor questions...

1: I'm guessing that WYSIWYG doesn't really affect CSM who have all of this stuff right? That would be tough to represent!

2: Since Chaos Lords don't have retinues and Chosen have a minimum of 5 models per unit, would a squad consisting of a Lord and 3 Chosen be illegal? I would suppose yes...

Thanks ahead of time!

Oh, I found another question to ask!

There are a lot of units that can't carry marks of the gods but can only carry icons which grant marks to the whole squad.

Is that just as good as the whole unit having individual marks?

And if a model is carrying an icon, does it still get to use all of its wargear? Does it still get bonus attacks in CC if it has 2 CC weapons?

Thanks again!

No it's not as good as if the Icon bearer dies then they lose the benefits it conferred onto the unit. With wound allocation in 5th Ed there is a chance this can happen.

They can still use their wargear though as it does not mention that it is taken instead of something else.

Archived