Dropped assault team

Jezroth

I want to try having an entire army that deep strikes and in the starting ones that come down I'm planning on having

1 ironclad dreadnought

1 dreadnought with assault cannon

1 Master of the Forge W servo-harness and power weapon W 4 servitors with servo arms

3 drop pods 1 W locator all 2 W deathwind launchers

drop them all in the same spot about 6" from the enemy I want to deal with

fire everything at them then next turn assault

if the dreads lose their arms or get immobilised the MotF can fix it on a +2

and him and his unit can dole out 3 power weapon attacks, 8 normal attacks, and 6 power fist attacks

Opinions?

Not a bad idea, though I think the Servitors will prove to be a weak point. Unless you're very lucky with scattering, all of those units won't be too dreadfully hard to kill. I think putting something with more Cowbell down will do alot to increase your survivability. Try dropping the MotF along with some TacTerminators packing an AsltCnn and let them handle infantry. The MotF will still repair on a 4+, so it's not that bad. Plus, having a nasty Term squad on the table will draw fire away from the Dreads.

I want to try having an entire army that deep strikes and in the starting ones that come down I'm planning on having

1 ironclad dreadnought

1 Master of the Forge W servo-harness and power weapon W 4 servitors with servo arms

and him and his unit can dole out 3 power weapon attacks, 8 normal attacks, and 6 power fist attacks

Opinions?

It's entirely possible to have an entire army that arrives via pod or deepstrike. Dreads are a good alpha-strike unit from out of a pod, because not only can they put down a barrage of anti-tank or anti-infantry fire, but they can tarpit any counterassault unit, and are cheap enough to take a beating from meltas and not lament their loss (though I personally hate suicide units).

Dropping you Master of the Forge in 6" from the enemy is a bad idea, though. The MotF is an Independent Character, which means he MUST base the enemy to attack, and retaliatory strikes can be delegated to him alone. He gets a few attacks at I4 with his power weapon, but the servo arm attacks all fall at I1. Any high-I unit that tangles with him is going to wreck his day. He only has a 2+ save, and no invulnerable. A single round of power weapon attacks can carve his face off. He's a better mid-field commander who hangs out behind your armor and attempts repairs and potshots with his plasma pistol arm.

I'm also not sure the Master of the Forge can purchase a pod as a valid transport option. I know Techmarines cannot, so I'd double-check my Codex on that.

How are you ending up with so many normal attacks? The MotF has the power weapon attacks, plus two servo-arm attacks. Are you trying to use both the base attacks for the servitors, AND one bonus servo arm attack each? Is that how they work?

How are you ending up with so many normal attacks? The MotF has the power weapon attacks, plus two servo-arm attacks. Are you trying to use both the base attacks for the servitors, AND one bonus servo arm attack each? Is that how they work?

Yuppers :)

just remember, deap striking vehicles count as going at cruising speed, and thus your drop pods cannot shoot the turn they land. Dreads still can of course because walkers have a special rule.

Small side note to the IC can be targeted bit, they can only be targeted by models engaged with the IC. So make sure your IC is BtB with models without power weapons, and something expendable is BtB with the things with power weapons, then the power weaponed guys cannot target the IC

1 ironclad dreadnought

Opinions?

don't forget to take HK upgrades for DCCW protection

if you keep the servitors, add the plasma cannons...imho

and dont for get, that if you take any Dev's for the Static Firebase, you can still take the empty drop pods with deathwind

I'm also not sure the Master of the Forge can purchase a pod as a valid transport option. I know Techmarines cannot, so I'd double-check my Codex on that.

Basically anyone can take a pod by stealing someone elses one. I've actually seen =][= units get podded in.... :lol:

Nasty idea but a normal techmarine rather than a MotF for me. Just lessens the points a bit without effecting the performance too much

Basically anyone can take a pod by stealing someone elses one. I've actually seen =][= units get podded in.... B)

Except that a drop pod is a dedicated transport, which can only carry the unit it's bought for (+IC's) when it is deployed. (page 67 of the BRB under dedicated transports)

Archived