Repainting the Army: Azure Blades Tactical Squad Drei

Espada Azul

Finally! I'm done repainting the compulsory troop choices for my DIY army. This time it's the anti-personnel squad, with a plasmagun and a heavy bolter. As with the previous two squads, I'm throwing them in a Rhino for field deployment. That, hmm, leaves just the Fast Attack choices to be redone, and I'm mostly set really.

gallery_30361_1764_535771.png

Man, real life really grinds hobbies to a halt sometimes -- my army was stripped and basecoated more than five months ago. Geez.

Previous Squads: Une and Dvojka, previously displayed here in the forum.

gallery_30361_1764_300987.png

gallery_30361_1764_22164.png

As a bonus for the brethren here putting up with this nonsense, the now-complete Sternguard squad! Yay! The second half was based even longer than the rest of the army, but I just only got around to finishing them a week ago. Yeah, I suck at time management.

gallery_30361_1764_687787.png

Now, on to the two Typhoons!

I'm going to quote myself from another thread:

I'm sorry that I keep pressing this but it's just something that irks me without end.

What do these nameplates add character-wise? Nothing. Unless you have a special story for every single one of your marines, why do they need a name anyway? You won't be crying out their names in agony every time one is hit.

What do they add modelling/painting-wise? Nothing. A base is just that. A base to display your miniature. A lot of work can go into its decoration, but why put a nametag on it? Look at winning GD-entries. They usually have a nametag, but it's on the socket, not on the rim of the base itself. You want people looking at your mini, not at the name on its base.

And if you do have a backstory for every one of your minis, a modeller/painter with your skill could easily pull off a nametag or scroll ON the Marine/Terminator. That would actually add something TO the mini.

Many less experienced hobbyists use the nametags to add character to their mini because they are not able to do this through painting/modelling. You just don't have to do this.

Okay, nerd-rage over. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see more, however slow the progress

Cheers,

Peter

I really like your scheme and the small and subtle conversions. The pose of the sergeant of the second squad is great. The terminator shoulder pads work quite well.

But nametags? Really?

Archived