Codex: Space Marines

Walter Payton

I dont really think it matters what your opponent thinks. Provided everything is modeled correctly, they're interchangeable.

However, I dont think it really reflects the NLs. The closest would be the Blood Angels, but their wonky rules right now (and special exclusive units) makes them a pain as well. I just stick to the CSM codex, as it's easier, and just hope the legions codex actually comes out.

My friend has 2000pts of Night Lords, but he hates the new Chaos dex. Given the secular nature of the NL, do you think Codex: SM would work-though obviously, no Sternguard or Thunderfire's or Redeemers etc

I think C: s/m would represent NL's just fine (esp since the current C:csm doesn't represent them very well at all).

And it's good he'll be using no things like thunderfires, landspeeders, etc, but why no sternguard ? Csm's would certainly have elite troops (vet's) just like s/m's. And I'm sure that in a few thousand years of bitter fighting they would learn how to do more then infiltrate :D

However, I dont think it really reflects the NLs.

NLD, I thought s/m had a build (through one of the SC maybe ?) that represented NL's pretty well ? You , as a NL player, would know better then I ?

Doesn't Nihm use one of the s/m armies to represent his NL's ?

Basic "Night Lords" unit with Codex Sace Marines: Codex Tactical Squads. No special or heavy weapon unless the unit consists of 10 models. Combat squads, which traditionally is a "Codex Astartes" thing. Combat tactics. Ditto. ATSKNF, traditionally exclusively a loyalist ability.

Basic "Night Lords" unit with Codex Chaos Space Marines: Chaos Space Marines. Boltgun + Boltpistol/CCW. Optional second special instead of heavy.

One of those units is suitable for Night Lords. The other, not so much.

I've been temped by the SM book for a long time. There are a ton of options that you could use for a fluffy Night Lord force. Then again you could make a fluff stretch using Wolves, Angels, and just about every chapter in the SM book.

however I have the USR stubborn, it's the only reason I haven't switched.

"Night Lord" is more a state of mind than a tabletop representation. ;)

Sure, a great number of Raptor Cult members are drawn from and towards the Legion, the real meat of the Legion is pretty hard to represent by any rule set: the devastating psychological warfare, the common use of excessive force just to prove a point.

GW traditionally seems to make the really scary armies really fast (Necrons, Dark Eldar) so the Night Lords ended up being a Jump Pack army. The way I see it, though, is that scary doesn't have a speedometer. Jason Voorhees is terrifying, and he moves as fast as a nursing home triathlete.

So, yeah, the Night Lords can be completely effectively represented by the Space Marines Codex ... just don't try to house-rule a Lash Prince in there. :)

However, I dont think it really reflects the NLs.

NLD, I thought s/m had a build (through one of the SC maybe ?) that represented NL's pretty well ? You , as a NL player, would know better then I ?

Doesn't Nihm use one of the s/m armies to represent his NL's ?

For some campaigns I do, often C:BA for pickup/friendly games. I do use C:CSM most of the time though. It's just that sometimes (most of the time actually) C:CSM just feels too restrictive to accurately portray the NL, that's why I (ab)use Counts-as.

I'd tell your friend to give Codex:BA a spin and see if he likes it. Though you should warn him that Codex:BA will get an overhaul shortly. But for now it works well when you want to go Raptor heavy and still have a functional and fluffy list.

Also,

There was a similar discussion on this topic about a year ago, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: here, old discussion thread

Here's my thoughts on using C:SM from back then:

I'd like to give my 2 Kraks as to which units in C:SM that I think fits in a Night Lords list, using the new C:SM.

Edit: (some knowledge of Lord of the Night and the new SM Codex is required to understand my reasoning)

Here we go:

HQ

Chapter Master

The Orbital strike is debatable as it could count as a strategic bombing/lightning attack.

Captain

- Ws6 - just like a Chaos Lord

- Wargear: Almost identical save for no Daemon Weapon and an Iron Halo instead of the 5++

Now here's the kicker:

- If he takes a bike, Bikes may be taken as Troops

- Chaplain (Dark Preacher)

- Makes unit with him Fearless

who's to say that the NL Chaplains haven't turned the Haunter's creed into a religion of it's own?

Borderline but, I know at least one NL player who has chaplains in his fluff and who's to say that they all died.

- Librarian (Sorceror)

Wargear: force weapon and Psy-hood.

Powers: Sadly there's no Fear of the Darkness anymore (also one of the reasons I've tried using Codex: BA) but, apart from that, the psy-powers could count as anything.

Master of the Forge

Doesn't really fit in.

Command Squad (Chosen/Retinue for your Captain)

- May only be taken by captains.

- Can have bikes.

- May NOT take jump packs (sadly)

Honour Guard (Retinue for your CM)

- May only be taken if a Chapter Master is present in the army.

- May NOT take Storm Shields or Jump packs.

Captain Kor’Sarro Khan

Counts as Captain Shang - Equerry to the Night Haunter.

Captain Kayvaan Shrike

Counts as Zso Sahaal - The Talonmaster.

Chapter Master Pedro Cantor

Counts as Vyridium Silvadi - Lord of the Fleet.

Chapter Master Marneus Calgar

Counts as Tarraq Darkblood - Warleader of the Nightlords.

Chaplain Ortan Cassius

See my comment about chaplains.

Chief Librarian Tigurius

Could count as Sorceror Asuramandos.

Captain Danarth Lysander:

Could count as Quissax Kergai - Master of the Armoury

Captain Cato Sicarius

Count as Captain Veert

Forgefather Vulkan He'stan

Doesn't fit in.

Brother Chronus

Doesn't fit in.

Scout Sergeant Telion

Doesn't fit in.

Elites

Sternguard Veterans

Ranged Chosen.

Dreadnought

Standard.

Venerable Dreadnought:

Standard.

Ironclad Dreadnought (Ancient):

Think Koor Mass from Lord of the Night.

Terminators(5-10)

Standard.

Assault Terminators:

Standard.

Techmarine:

Doesn't fit in.

Legion of the Damned

Doesn't fit in.

Troops

Tactical Marines:

Eschew plasma cannons, storm bolters etc. and you have your run of the mill Astartes.

Scouts:

- Have the Scout, Infiltrate & Combat Squads special rules.

Use them as cultists, otherwise: doesn't fit in.

Rhino:

Standard.

Razorback:

Doesn't fit in.

Drop Pod:

Very fluffy, and something Chaos should have had to begin with.

Fast Attack

Bikes:

Standard

Attack Bikes:

Doesn't fit in.

Scout Bikes:

Doesn't fit in.

Assault Marines:

- May remove jump packs and get a free rhino, razorback or drop pod in return.

Raptors with the option to swap for a transport!

Vanguard Veterans:

Raptor Veterans.

Land Speeders:

Doesn't fit in.

Land Speeder Storm:

Doesn't fit in.

Heavy Support

Thunderfire Cannon, Artillery.

Doesn't fit in.

Predator:

Standard.

Vindicator:

Standard.

Devastators (Havocs):

Standard if you eschew the use of plasma-cannons.

Whirlwind:

Doesn't fit in.

Land Raider

Standard.

Land Raider Crusader

Doesn't fit in.

Land Raider Redeemer

Doesn't fit in.

Overall I find that the options to define your army/list by using abilities like Outflank etc. adds a lot of flavour, something that the current C:CSM has little of.

That's my 2 Kraks.

Archived