Screening

Mr. Sandbot

I don't believe this has been posted, but if it has then can someone link me to the answer?

Anyhow, the situation was a friend of mine was playing tyranids and had a gaunt brood out in front of his zoanthrope. A squad of black templar wanted to shoot at the zoanthrope and we got into a discussion over whether it counts as screening since by their arguments the squad would logically have to shoot over the gaunts and thus no screening (the zoanthrope model is alot taller than the smaller gaunts).

But the gaunts still cover a good portion of the Zoanthrope's base and the model itself, so wouldn't that still count for screening anyway?

EDIT: another friend is pestering me to ask if an immbolized walker can still pivot since only the legs would be broken.

The Zoanthrope is an infantry unit, thereby meaning that if half of the models in its unit (or more) are obscured by the Termagants then it will get a cover save. So yes, your friend's Zoanthrope gets it cover save. The only models that need to have 50% or more of the model obscured are tanks and Monstrous Creatures, so while this tactic will work for the Zoanthrope, it is less likely to work for his Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants etc.

if so much as the barest fraction of a tentical is covered by a guant, he gets 4+ cover save. Comon nid stratagy involves guants infront of larger models such as warriors or thropes, which are infront of the monsterous creaturs (guants are not big enouph to give cover to a fex, warriors ARE)

Imobilized vehicles may not pivot. if it helps you out, just say the waste is broken too.

To answer your Edit:

A walker cannot pivot if it is immobilized. It is considered to have its legs and torso mechanism broken. I do not have a page reference for you, but I believe I have read it in the BRB.

Page 61, "An immobilized vehicle may not turn in place but it's turret may continue to select targets, and other weapons retain their normal arc of fire."

On page 72, where it discusses how Walkers (the vehicle type in question) fire, it states "When firing a walker's weapons, pivot the walker on the spot so that it's guns are aimed at the target."

If the Walker is immobilized it cannot pivot, thus it cannot change it's facing to fire. It can still fire in the direction it is facing, though.

If the Walker is immobilized it cannot pivot, thus it cannot change it's facing to fire. It can still fire in the direction it is facing, though.

Yes and that 'facing' is a weapon firing arc of 45º :) so not too shaby for immobilised.

Cheers

I

I don't believe this has been posted, but if it has then can someone link me to the answer?

Anyhow, the situation was a friend of mine was playing tyranids and had a gaunt brood out in front of his zoanthrope. A squad of black templar wanted to shoot at the zoanthrope and we got into a discussion over whether it counts as screening since by their arguments the squad would logically have to shoot over the gaunts and thus no screening (the zoanthrope model is alot taller than the smaller gaunts).

But the gaunts still cover a good portion of the Zoanthrope's base and the model itself, so wouldn't that still count for screening anyway?

EDIT: another friend is pestering me to ask if an immbolized walker can still pivot since only the legs would be broken.

And just to point out something else... The Templar squad had to pass a leadership test to even try and shoot at the zoanthrope. They are still bound by the check to shoot at a different target than the nearest. :P

edit: WOOT! 200th post! sue me, I'm slow.

Archived