Terminators or Lesser Daemons or Possessed

minigun762

So i have approximately 200 points leftover and I'm torn on what to fill it with. The rest of my list is my standard DP/CSM/Defilers. I have no Heavy slots available but everything else is open.

My choices are:

15 Lesser Daemons. Makes for a great tarpit unit and a nice counter to things like TMC or TH/SS Terminators. I have 5+ Icons in my list so I'll be able to summon them pretty much anywhere I want. Another scoring unit isn't a bad thing ever but it does nothing to help anti-tank.

5 Terminators, 4 C-Melta, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist, IoCG. I wanted something other then a standard Termicide squad. This is a nice multi-tasker that I can DS anywhere and have it be useful. I could drop the Icon and take a Chain Fist instead.

6 Possessed, Rhino. Probably the worst choice but Possessed look cool. I can't see what they'll do better that twice the number of Lesser Daemons can do (and they can score).

I'd rather go for the most pain-bringing combo .

Few things can compete with deep striking Terminators when it comes to the pain-bringing business .

Plus , if they have extra bodies ( larger than the 3 man Termicide ) , they may even continue bringing the pain in the next round too .

So I vote for the termies .

( A squad like this can also be a good excuse to field a - cheap-ish - Termie lord as your HQ choice - in case you got bored with the Daemon Prince HQ choice )

i've been using lesser daemons fairly often these days, used to bolster any holes that start appearing due to a bad round of combat with my csm, they do there job well in most games i've used them.

what about splitting them into 2 units? or do you not have enough troop slots left?

just a thought :P

what about splitting them into 2 units? or do you not have enough troop slots left?

I'm worried that 7/8 bodies won't be enough for an effective tarpit unit. With Fearless and only a 5++ save, if they lose combat they'll be taking some extra wounds and small squads will die faster.

Probably the worst choice but Possessed look cool.

Yep, the randomness makes them suck a big fat egg.

HOWEVER, the models are completely awesome, and I highly suggest using the sprue as the "Chaos Marine Accessory Sprue." There are so many killer parts on it that you can use anywhere, I have probably bought that box 3 times, just to jazz up my CSM.

8 Plague Marines = 184 points iirc. They're a nice tarpit unit and are scoring. You can deploy them next to/in front of whatever they should be guarding.

Not a bad idea Brother Nihm but I'm running an Undivided only force so its not an option for fluff reasons.

I would go for the Termies simply cause they look the best and are also a strong fighting unit.
I'd vote for the termies, and no, leave the icon, that way they don't get scared off as easily... and might I suggest, take one of the c-melta's off to option dual lightning claws on one of 'em

My main issue with the Terminators is that they work well as flexible generalist units but thats what my CSMs do anyway.

With the Terminators I have to ask what they bring to the table that is unique (outside of Termicide).

I can't think of anything really.

8 Plague Marines = 184 points iirc. They're a nice tarpit unit and are scoring. You can deploy them next to/in front of whatever they should be guarding.

Not a bad idea Brother Nihm but I'm running an Undivided only force so its not an option for fluff reasons.

I would go for the Termies simply cause they look the best and are also a strong fighting unit.
I'd vote for the termies, and no, leave the icon, that way they don't get scared off as easily... and might I suggest, take one of the c-melta's off to option dual lightning claws on one of 'em

My main issue with the Terminators is that they work well as flexible generalist units but thats what my CSMs do anyway.

With the Terminators I have to ask what they bring to the table that is unique (outside of Termicide).

I can't think of anything really.

basically, yea, they csm squad with better survivability, and a hearty amount of butt-kickery... also +1 to Nihm... if there's an objective in my deployment zone, that's where I stick plagues or 1k sons

15 lesser daemons.

I assume your a rhino list user with that many icons (troops).

They're scoring, fearless and 5++ so its a no brainer what they can take on or take down. 45 attacks on rear armor 10 will, at the very most slap hard enough to rip every weapon off or stun it at the least. Don't count them out on that, many in previous nid codex used str4 hormagaunts for the same reasons for 1 point less per body.

Also, here is a type of "rush" if you want to call it.

Move rhino 12", turn a little. Exit rhino with the icon the furthest forward. Run the unit forward 1 to 6 inches as normal. Turn 2, get daemons (three units of five ensures maybe one or two will come in). They are 7" for starters (6"+1" base size, its exactly like disembarking, the 6" touches the base and then ring the models around that model for one more inch).

12"+small distance disembarking+1"to6"run+8"from center daemon and the one ring+6" assault=27"to33" and a little extra (like 1/8th an inch more). Second turn assault and no lash required. But it needs you to expose your troops in the process for a turn instead of hiding inside rhinos wanting to use smoke and such. It makes sure you don't have to depend on rhinos however after your first turn, leaving them to use havoc launchers and so on.

Just notes, I say 3x5 unit of daemons is better than 1x15 unit. You get the same number but you force people to split attacks, and you may need them in multiple locations where you can make use of some, rather then depend on putting them all in one location and be abused/made useless by opposing tactics. It does grant more killpoints, so that's the drawback of doing so.

On this same topic again but the amount of points available has been increased to around 340.

Competitively, I should do 3x Termicide and call it good but that seem so boring.

Like I mentioned in my other topic, I could do a 10 man Possessed squad in a Rhino. It would be fun and unique but I have some strong nagging doubts about its overall effectiveness.

I could go crazy on Lesser Daemons, I think I could afford 26 of them to be exact.

Since I changed my list around, I could add in a 3rd Heavy slot. Maybe Havocs or Oblits or a 3rd Defiler but I still have points left over.

I used daemons last time, they were pretty useful (kept a 15 man unit of BC's from charging me). Also it was nice to have a army that looked and played more like a "days of old" chaos army. 15 is too big and combersome though. I go 10 -12 daemons and use xtra pts for x armor or x bolters on rinos.

Or could go with 10 man 2 plaz, no rino and use xtra pts on (other) rinos.

EDIT: since u have 340 now, 9, and 9, and 8, daemons could be a HUGE pain in the arse for your opponent. Might not be the pwr gaming choice but could be something fun to try.

Currently I'm using 3 squads of 8 Lesser Demons. Seems to be a good number for speed bumping and assault back up, and just big enough to be deemed a threat to draw the attention away from other units. I also find them useful for sitting on an objective in my deployment zone next to a Pred... using a Chaos Lord with wings for that at the moment, might try to free up some points and put him on a bike to get him in the fight faster in the future.

But I'm running Word Bearers so I'm a lil bias toward demons. :rolleyes:

Grim

I used daemons last time, they were pretty useful (kept a 15 man unit of BC's from charging me). Also it was nice to have a army that looked and played more like a "days of old" chaos army. 15 is too big and combersome though. I go 10 -12 daemons and use xtra pts for x armor or x bolters on rinos.

I keep being tempted by the LDs. They just seem like so much fun.

What I don't need is more CSM squads, I already have 50 guys at 2k.

Possessed would occupy a similar position to Lesser Daemons, that of tarpit/counter-assault/distraction.

Terminators seem like they'd have to be used in a deepstriking role, probably super Termicide or a full 6+ squad.

I use 6 terminators to fill the gap in my list. They can get pretty nasty when I fight horde armies. They destroy gaunts and ork squads with relative ease.

Either they're good, im lucky, or a bit of both.

I actually killed a trygon with them too, though we lost about half the squad...

I use 6 terminators to fill the gap in my list. They can get pretty nasty when I fight horde armies. They destroy gaunts and ork squads with relative ease.

What is your squad's loadout? Fairly balanced or just a big Termicide squad?

I love my termies. In my small play during lunch break 500 pts. I use 3 termies with a reaper as anti tank. At 1500 pts I use 2 6 man squads 1 with reaper 3 combi plas and 1 with 2 dual claws 1 heavy flamer and 3 combi flamer and icon of slannesh homed in near my melta squad of csm. This is really good at tearing up troop units and drawing fire from my csm. The last time I ran this aginst Space wolves it took 19 grey hunters 2 assult rounds to kill them all with them taking out 12 pups. The reaper squad took out a land speeder and a rhino, they were only dropped in the game turn 4 so they didn't have much chance to bring the pain they usually do in othe games.

Archived