Daemonhunters

Starks333

Well, having essentially finished everything else, I decided that I should just suck it up and paint this army. It belongs to a friend of mine, but I store it for him, since I want to one day be able to play with painted stuff, painted terrain and just not worry about this stuff anymore, I decided, with help from my girlfriend, to just get it done!

So here are the two lists, they use every model he owns, except one spare grey knight terminator, which originally had fit into the pure grey knight list I made for him, but he needed 6 more power armoured ones for that, and pure GK are kinda boring

pretty much everything is assembled and primed already, just a bit of pinning and then assembly after a bit of painting to do, so this will see action quick :)

Im going for this colour scheme, with dark grey rocky/dirt bases

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhamme...ights_codex.jpg

for the guard, im thinking of doing them the same black scheme

HQ

Brother Captain- 61pts

4 Terminators- 199pts

Incinerator

TROOPS

6 Grey Knights- 185pts

Incinerator

6 Grey Knights- 185pts

Incinerator

6 Grey Knights- 185pts

Incinerator

Command Squad- 37pts

Flamer, Bolt Pistol

Infantry Squad- 55pts

Flamer

Infantry Squad- 55pts

Flamer

Infantry Squad- 57pts

Flamer, Bolt Pistol

Chimera- 55pts

Multi Laser, Heavy Bolter

FAST ATTACK

2 Sentinels- 80pts

Autocannons

HEAVY SUPPORT

Land Raider- 250pts

Dreadnought- 148pts

TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Smoke, Extra Armour

Dreadnought- 148pts

TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Smoke, Extra Armour

TOTAL: 1700pts

Models: 58

Vehicles: 6

HQ

Inquisitor Lord- 280pts

Daemonhammer, Storm Shield, Artificer Armour, Scourging,

Familiar, 2 Mystics, Sage, 3 Gun Servitors w Heavy Bolters, 3 Acolytes w Storm Shields and Bolters

TROOPS

6 Grey Knights- 185pts

Incinerator

6 Grey Knights- 185pts

Incinerator

6 Grey Knights- 185pts

Incinerator

Command Squad- 50pts

Power Weapon, 2 Flamers

Infantry Squad- 70pts

Lascannon

Infantry Squad- 70pts

Lascannon

Infantry Squad- 55pts

Flamer

Chimera- 55pts

Multi Laser, Heavy Bolter

FAST ATTACK

Sentinel- 40pts

Autocannon

Sentinel- 40pts

Autocannon

Sentinel- 40pts

Autocannon

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ- 165pts

Lascannon

Dreadnought- 140pts

TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher

Dreadnought- 140pts

TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher

TOTAL: 1700pts

Models: 64

Vehicles: 7

Sounds great. Weirdly I painted a friends GK's with an almost identical colour scheme without ever seeing that pic. Obviously to a much lesser standard.

Can we expect anything 'out of the box' like your desert scorpions or will they be 'just paint'?

Sounds great. Weirdly I painted a friends GK's with an almost identical colour scheme without ever seeing that pic. Obviously to a much lesser standard.

Can we expect anything 'out of the box' like your desert scorpions or will they be 'just paint'?

for the most part its just painting them, the inquisitor squad will get a bit more attention cuz its more interesting...there wont be much in the ways of interesting techniques, but there may be some freehand work, i donno...if i did the guard a lighter colour i could do more weathering stuff, but ive decided to go for a simpe and effective scheme

i dont want to spend a lot of time at this, but i dont want them to look bad either so...

Alex

Well here the army, pretty much fully assembled. The only thing not are the sentinels so i can get the cockpits and drivers easier.

Im still debating the colour scheme a bit, but we will see!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/40k/Daemonhunters/IMG_1080.jpg

Alex

haha well they were primed white awhile back when i was gonna do them gold, and tan coloured, but i dont have a gold gold to put through the airbrush, and on top of that i dont want to get metallic flakes on non metallic parts and it would be way too much masking

I just want a simple effective scheme that I can do quickly with it looking nice in the end.

For the guard Im not sure, Im thinking of doing black black armour, and then dark coloured pants, and grey jackets

kinda like this:

http://www.3djamiebowers.com/3d%20gallery/...on%20Cobar4.jpg

Alex

The grey/black would look cool, but the grey in that pic is quite bright??. I'll try and post some pics of my buddies that I helped him out with. The GKTs were the 2nd set of models I'd painted in 10 years (the first were a batch-painted set of about 50 guardsmen), and the IST were the 3rd so they're obviously nowhere near what you'll achieve but they're pretty neat and may give you an idea...

I'll be watching very closely!

Just a small update, finally got the last of the GK arms pinned, so i began airbrushing today

i left the black an offblack so i can use badab to wash, also helps getting those cracks since i had white primer on em all

these guys shouldnt take long, outside of metallics and a couple simple colours there isnt much other than finishing the black :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/40k/Daemonhunters/IMG_1081.jpg

In terms of airbrushing, do you give a pretty thorough off-black coat and then a more grey coat just from the direction of light. That obviously simplifies what you do but I'd assume that would be the obvious thing to do and how it appears??

I'm a huge fan of sentinels (model-wise) and they'll look great in this colour scheme.

to be honest, its that simple...spray on black as a basecoat, and then point and shot from a direction with the highlight colour...done

nothing complicated :)

the brush work after is what makes that basic stuff look much nicer

Alex

after a bit of painting, fooling with colours and combinations, and worried it was going to look awful i managed to get some decent results that i can work with, and should now be able to get things done much quicker

The following pic shows a part of a squad almost done, i think im gonna do brighter highlights, and that will enable me to highlight parts in shadow and wash over with asurmen blue...it takes more time going brighter but what can i do B)...im debating going back and airbrushing the ones incomplete brighter so that i dont have to worry about it when i go to paint them...i think i will, which means i have to match the ones completed to the updates ones haha, fun! ** SCRATCH THAT just needed to brighten the edges in certain areas and continue along with my original plan :D

I hate how metal gaming figs are always such linear poses, it ruins shadows and makes painting certain colours nicely very difficult! especially when crowded with details and shapes

@lysander...they are a very dark grey but the way they are highlighted and such they appear black...its just a nicer soft black, not as harsh

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/40k/Daemonhunters/IMG_1106.jpg

brother plz post a tutorial on what paints you used and how you painted them as these are ARWSOME

i have a collection of GK's to paint and i dont wanna do them the normal silver paint

@denrik, thanks :wallbash: im just trying to get these guys done, sadly the photos are crappy, the lighting in my house is awful, i will get better photos of all my stuff in february when DV8 comes up for a visit.

@brevik, my friend wanted something different, was thinking gold originally, but i thought that looks too much like custodes, plus involved more hand painting and with the poor coverage gold paints tend to have, thought it would be less than fun, so i googled grey knights and ended up finding their old scheme was basically deathwatch, so i added a bit more gold, and softened the colours! the robes are indeed a red of sorts, its a desaturated browny red, but not as orangey as dark flesh, i used hull red from VMC

@loken, what i have been doing with all my armies of late is abusing some speed techniques, but using some more advanced knowledge to create good results

-it starts with airbrushing your base colour

-then after drying, you mix a very bright highlight version of your colour, in this case i think i added a tan and a white to the black, i should of technically gone much brighter, but i was eating up paint so

-you spray the highlighted colour on from one specific direction, this creates the "light source"...it is veyr important to do this when painting, black, red and white especially, otherwise you could change the appearence of your colour...by edge highlighting everything your eye will perceive it as brighter or in the case of red sometimes, pinker

-if working with black, naturally you will need to base some colours with other colours to make applying them easier...for the instance of the gold i basecoated those areas with foundation iyanden darksun...silvers went on fine, and the red because its dark and desaturated enough, goes on over black fine

-the next thing, or rather the first thing! is you need to find colours to use to make the ones in your scheme more interesting...not just adding brighter red, or grey...you need to play with your colours or they wont balance right and end up looking off, clashy, or just downright ugly...

every scheme i do i work with a basic idea...

"Ok i want these guys black...whats next, ok, well if i want to make life easier i know that it would save time if i could mass airbrush the main colour and highlight on, these guys are black, done..... so now i need to make sure the black looks nice and black out of the bottle is often too black....hmmm...ok well if i add some green and blue i can soften the black to a deeper dark grey without it being too bright because blues are darker and deeper colours..... to create a nice soft highlight, well yellows and tans tend to help but they brighten black slowly, so if i add some skull white in addition i can get the softer yellowing of the tan in combo with the brightening impact of the white!"

it may sound like a long process just to do the black, but it sometimes helps speed up the actual process...and sometimes it takes painting to figure it out

i changed some colours a couple times to help speed things up...the fewer colours but the more creative you are with them, the faster the job....

black, iraqui sand/skull white astro grey, badab black

boltgun, vallejo air chrome, badab black, devlan mud

iyanden-burnished gold, devlan mud, asurmen blue

hull red, iraqui sand, charadon granite

charadon granite, iraqui sand, hull red

a total of 14 colours

Archived