Little bit of help for a stupid Chaos Lord...

There is something to be said for having someone around who seems to learn stuff by osmosis... As seems to have happened in Shamrockius Towers yesterday.

Looking over my Chosen, with my girlfriend, she noticed that they have been given 4 meltas, a power fist and the Icon of Slaanesh. She pointed out that the +1 inititive would be wasted on the power fist as it would automatically, obviously, hit last as it's user would be classed as I=1. After coming around from what was a turbulent ordeal, I realised she was right.

So my question is, which should I do:

A) Swap the power fist for a power weapon ergo getting back the I5.

:tu: Swap the icon for another, if so which one on a 9 man Chosen squad?

C) leave it as is and take the hit

or D) hand over the keys to the painting room, the brushes and the codex to my girlfriend who is clearly more gemmed up than she originally makes out.

Kudos to the Girlfriend for getting that!!! Mines falls into a type of coma as soon as i mention my "wee men"

Id swap for the Powerweapon. I5 with no saves is well worth it if you play MEQ armies.

I'm with dropping the Icon all together for another. Having a hidden powerfist in a squad to offer some protection against T4 HQs assautling your Chosen could come in handy. Plus the last ditch assault could help crack open a few vehicles so it would help the squad fulfill its anti-vehicle role.

In all honesty, I've never been a fan of chosen. I chalk them up with our Special Characters in that they are great to stay in fluff, but we have better alternatives that are more cost efficient for what they do.

Props to your girlfriend for pointing that out. I'm still introducing mine to chaos and the allures of Slaanesh apparently...

Oh and your not stupid :tu:

Thanks guys, I guess as I am going for "tank busting" as their position within my army, I should have thought about it a little more. With that in mind, I'm for keeping the PF and swapping to either IoN or T. I'm thinking they may attract some heavy fire from the tanks they are trying to get into range of so it may be that IoN won't help them as much. Thoughts on IoT anyone?

And thanks to Sandbot for saying I'm not stupid... Just shocked... Very, very shocked haha

IoT will keep them alive far longer when the plasma guns hit them. They actually get a chance to save, whereas IoN doesn't give them anything at all except against real small arms fire.

My fiancee corrected me on the Word Bearers primarch last night. I was reading something and it sounded similar, saying it out loud, and she said "No it's Lorgar, silly."

Cheers guys.

I'm glad I'm not alone in that feeling of shock/minor embarrassment then Seahawk. It hits you like a steel toe boot to the seeds.

I am leaning towards the IoT at the moment but it will be a bit of a swine to remodel.

Thanks Possessed, I have already thought of that also but I am never intending to put them into an anti-infantry situation. I have other options for that, not to mention another set of chosen on the cards in the coming months. This is specifically for trying to defeat a particularly irritating set of IG that would seem to irk my Chaos Lords... And me.

Cheers guys.

I'm glad I'm not alone in that feeling of shock/minor embarrassment then Seahawk. It hits you like a steel toe boot to the seeds.

I am leaning towards the IoT at the moment but it will be a bit of a swine to remodel.

Thanks Possessed, I have already thought of that also but I am never intending to put them into an anti-infantry situation. I have other options for that, not to mention another set of chosen on the cards in the coming months. This is specifically for trying to defeat a particularly irritating set of IG that would seem to irk my Chaos Lords... And me.

i use the little tubes you get on the end of your brushes and cut them down a bit, glue it onto the back of each icon you have and paint them all up, then it just pops onto your icon pole and you can switch icons whenever you like. :(

Tzeentch for the win. Just wanted to say the CLS you live pretty close to me. I'm from Gloucester, I actually used to live in Bristol for 3 years while I was Uni. I surprised someone so close was on here.

weird... I'm a bit further south of Bristol, but if you put anything else, people have no clue. There are more of us around here than you would think for.

As for that tip Cornelias. Worth looking into, and one for all of us I feel.

you guys do know that cover every where gives a better save then iot from shoting and in hth it still doesnt help against counter units [as they have lots of attacks or fists/hammers en mass or both at the same time +offten an IC] .

if you really really have to take chosen [bought models dont want to buy more , terminators out of stocks and/or turned in to oblits etc] , then give them undivided so they dont run after first turn of hth.

you guys do know that cover every where gives a better save then iot from shoting and in hth it still doesnt help against counter units then give them undivided so they dont run after first turn of hth.

I have to agree with Jeske here. I've run the numbers on IoT and its really a wash in the best situations. It cost you approximately 3 Marines and in a 10 man squad, it will probably save 3 Marines (if you're lucky).

Icon of Slaanesh isn't bad if you go with a Flamer build and maybe a single 2x Claw or something.

When in doubt, IoCG is the safest choice.

Keep the fist and the icon of SLaanesh. All your other marines will still be hitting at I5 so it isn;t as big of a hit as if you only have a few I5 models like most other marine armies. The fist will kill thing s that the rest of the marines can't in close combat.

If you're doing an undivided force then I'd say switch to chaos glory to keep them from breaking.

Except when there's little cover for whatever reason. I've seen it happen plenty, and then stuff dies because they get no save. At least this way you're 100% assured a save of some sort, excepting C'tan.

I think its not a bad idea to have the Fist and IoS combined.

Than again the Ios is only usefull against other marinelike or regular Eldar armies for the rest you will be hitting faster most of the time, dont bother with it against Nids or Dark eldar as over half of their army is I5+.

I would go with 5 guns, and a cheap icon of undivided on a regular guy, meltabomb on another guy, and go with packing wounds when the squad gets busted a little. Stuffing three battlecannon wounds on one model when it fired 3 heavy bolters and a battlecannon that hits all 3 models left and wounds the whole squad several times over. It helps to work opponents overconfidence, and meltabombs are better then a fist anyways for most occasions where 4 meltas cant get it. (Like squadrons of tanks)

Thanks guys, I've gone for the IoT and keeping the fist, as it is a particular "tank buster" squad for facing a friends IG. I shall be putting together a combo of Flamer/Power Weapon with IoS for facing hoarde (probably Tyranids) etc with a view to opening it up as it's own squad in the future so as to be able to use both side by side should it be needed... unsure why as yet but I'm sure it could come up.

Archived