My LPC2010 Vow

Lestat

I have decided to take up the LPC challenge in order to finish some much needed HQ units for my Blood Angels and Lamenters.

First up is a scratch built Death Company Chaplain. This was built from a variety of SM, CSM, Chaos Warrior and Maxmini parts.

gallery_36289_4475_2854968.jpg

gallery_36289_4475_2451977.jpg

I also intend to finish a Librarian for my Lamenters. Apart from a backpack change, the model remains un-converted.

gallery_36289_4475_4034505.jpg

gallery_36289_4475_2934100.jpg

The two models currently stand on my desk undercoated and the Librarian is base-coated.

I love that chaplain, very very nice indeed. And the librarian is... blue? Not much else to say at the moment.

Just a note on your lighting set up - until you have one sorted out, try putting a double layer of white paper over the flash of your camera. It disperses the light enough to give a better image.

Al

I'm a big fan of that chaplain too - I always wondered if those Maxmini skull bits were intended for space marines, and now I can see they are. <_<

He's going to look superb painted up.

I love that chaplain, very very nice indeed. And the librarian is... blue? Not much else to say at the moment.

Just a note on your lighting set up - until you have one sorted out, try putting a double layer of white paper over the flash of your camera. It disperses the light enough to give a better image.

Al

Thanks for the comments and the advice. I'll try putting the paper over the flash. Hopefully that will produce some better pics.

Just a quick update on my LPC vow. I've decided to drop the Librarian I've already started and work on a scratch built one. The reasons behind this is purely the fact that there is nowhere on the Librarian I have already started to put the Lamenters chapter badge - theres too many gubbins and details on the shoulder pads and just about nowhere on the legs to paint the chapter badge either.

Therefore, I am going through my bitz box for some rather nifty pieces (just found a very nice Dark Elf blade that would make a nice force weapon) I am going to use an idea I have just read in Storm of Iron when the Imperial Fist Librarian is described. The majority of his armour is in the Chapter colours (yellow - just like my Lamenters :D ) and one of his shoulder pads is picked out in blue to represent his rank as a Librarian. I might go one step further and add some additional blue details such as the psychic hood.

Well thats it for now. Depending on how the conversion goes, I will hopefully have some WIP pics up tonight or tomorrow.

Lestat

That chaplain is cool. When will we see him painted up? All the bits on him just seem to work so well.

The Chaplain is currently part-done. I need to highlight the black armour, finish off some of the details and metallics. Should hopefully find some time this weekend to finish him (in between building a Librarian, work and playing Assassins Creed that is :P ).

As promised, some pics of my scratchbuilt Librarian. He took about an hour or so of serious converting work - I don't think he's turned out too bad either. Whilst the weather is staying sunny and dry, I'm going to get him undercoated and basecoated this afternoon.

gallery_36289_4475_1119999.jpg

gallery_36289_4475_1466112.jpg

gallery_36289_4475_627979.jpg

gallery_36289_4475_411609.jpg

Any C&C are more than welcome!

Although i hate librarians this is one very nice scratchbuilt model, it would be very nice to know where all the pieces are from?

Sure, no problem - if I can remember that is!

Head - Maxmini Steamknights

Torso - Mk8 Errant Armour

Tabard - Company Champion Chestplate

Legs - Space Wolves

Right Arm and shoulder pad - from the old SM veterans box

Force Sword - I think it's Dark Elf (found it i my bitz box so not too sure) Possibly Corsairs or something.

Left arm - built from an assault marines bolt pistol arm and a tactical marines bolter hand.

Left shoulder pad - normal marines pad with a Dark Angels helmet wing carefully bent to shape.

Flaming Skull - I belive it's from the Empire Wizard

Backpack - Cypher (although you can purchase a set of them now from GW)

Servo-skull - Devastators sprue

The key hanging from his belt was from the Empire flagellents if I remeber correctly.

The spent shells on the base are from the Ork Shoota Boyz.

The holster is from the SM commander box

All the other gubbinz are just general Marine bitz

Hope that helps - any other questions or C&C, please feel free to ask ^_^

Edit: Forgot to mention some Guitar wire too - you might just be able to see it plugging into the back of his helmet.

I love the conversions. Not overdone and with a lick of paint, it will bring the model together nicely. My only criticism is that your converted libby doesn't look psykery enough(if you know what I mean) The only reason I think that is that it does not have a hood. Don't get me wrong, I love the model, the key fits so very well ^_^ just my thoughts is all.

I love the conversions. Not overdone and with a lick of paint, it will bring the model together nicely. My only criticism is that your converted libby doesn't look psykery enough(if you know what I mean) The only reason I think that is that it does not have a hood. Don't get me wrong, I love the model, the key fits so very well :) just my thoughts is all.

Thanks for the compliments. I deliberately did not build a psychic hood for a couple of reasons. The main one being that I wanted the rather cool helmet to stand out by itself and the hood would just get in the way. The other reason - it's just too damned fiddly making one out of a cut down shoulder pad ;) ! The last time I did that, I ended up with severe lacerations in the tips of my thumbs .

I have added wires going into the back and sides of his helmet to suggest that the hood is incorporated into the helmet itself. Although this was a pain as well - 12 and 16 gauge guitar wire sliding though the flesh of your :cuss thumb whilst you are trying to manipulate it into a couple of drilled holes is not fun!

Well folks, started to paint my Librarian today. He's nowhere near finished - looking at the pics, I can a couple of spots I have missed or need touching up. Definately need to work on my freehand - the heart and blood drop needs some work.

gallery_36289_4475_2841731.jpg

gallery_36289_4475_2997412.jpg

The blue on the arm and kneepad have turned out a lot darker in the pics than in real life - they look almost black here.

gallery_36289_4475_4641996.jpg

You can see the wires going into the back of his helmet better here - the psychic hood (fluff-wise) is incorporated into his helmet.

gallery_36289_4475_1893815.jpg

The tabard needs a wash or two to finish it off. Then on to detailing.

Well, that it for now folks. Any C&C are more than welcome!

Woo! Pretty... :P

It's good of you to list the bits too, it's nice to know how a conversion is made up - big thumbs up from me. :)

I love looking at bitz sites or at ebay to see what interesting bitz I can find that might come in handy one day. Got loads of various gubbinz in my bitz box for future conversions. I think it's also fun to find out how others modellers minds work and what bitz they use. Sometimes the most complicated looking conversion is extremely simple ;)

I can relate to the fun properties of guitar string, as bot a modeller and a guitar player :P He looks awesome painted up

Many thanks for the vote of confidence. My thumb bled like a :P when i stabbed it - it was only a little hole as well! But, on a serious note, my Librarian still needs some work and I still need to get around to getting my Chaplain up to the same sort of level.

Also on a serious note, a wash or two of delvan mud will really make the armour detail pop

I tend to use Gryphonne Sepia more - especially on lighter colours like yellow - because Devlan Mud is a tad too dark. I might try experimenting by adding a touch of DM to the sepia to darken it slightly.

Thanks for the advice.

When I paint Imperial fists, I drybrush the whole model with iyanden darksun, then go over the whole thing with brown in, the iyanden again, leaving the recesses brown, then yellow inking the whole thing. the darker recesses make the yellow stand out. If you add a tiny bit of washing up liquid, and I mean super tiny (I get the point of a paperclip and dip it in a small blob then mix that in), it breaks the surface tension of the wash, so it doesn't sit on the models surface, but really hits the recesses. sorry to blather on, I am sure that whatever you do will work

When I paint Imperial fists, I drybrush the whole model with iyanden darksun, then go over the whole thing with brown in, the iyanden again, leaving the recesses brown, then yellow inking the whole thing. the darker recesses make the yellow stand out. If you add a tiny bit of washing up liquid, and I mean super tiny (I get the point of a paperclip and dip it in a small blob then mix that in), it breaks the surface tension of the wash, so it doesn't sit on the models surface, but really hits the recesses. sorry to blather on, I am sure that whatever you do will work

No - thanks for the advice. It's great to get someone else's viewpoint and experience - after all, advice is free! The washing up liquid idea is one I hadn't heard of brfore, so I might give that a go tonight to see what it turns out like.

Thanks again!

Just a quick update today - havn't done much painting this weekend (been a bit busy) Next weekends going to be even busier - My brothers coming home for the weekend and the 6 Nations Rugby starts. It's going to be a bloodbath here - I support England and he supports Ireland. Just hope my Unle doesn't turn up as he's a Scotland fan ;)

I have made some progress on my Librarian. Decided to change the tabard to blue to show his rank and status. Well here's a couple of pics. Decided to colour the eyes on the skull - what do you guys think? Should I keep them coloured or not? I think you can see the blue of the arm better here too.

Any C&C is more than welcome.

gallery_36289_4475_803737.jpg

gallery_36289_4475_2750363.jpg

gallery_36289_4475_3497950.jpg

gallery_36289_4475_1105438.jpg

Archived