My LPC2010 Vow

Lestat

your librarian is just awesome!

Many thanks for the compliment - thanks for everyones compliments. But any constructive criticisms are also more than welcome.

Right now my only criticism is that you are letting an Ireland fan into your house, brother or not... :lol:

Nah in all seriousness, that is a really cool custom librarian. I may be inclined to give the chest eagle a wash to help define it a bit, and go over the red of the chapter symbol and tear drop once more, as the black of the checkerboard is showing through slightly. Aside from that, cool conversion and I really like how the rest of the mini looks!

Cheers, ID

Right now my only criticism is that you are letting an Ireland fan into your house, brother or not... :lol:

Nah in all seriousness, that is a really cool custom librarian. I may be inclined to give the chest eagle a wash to help define it a bit, and go over the red of the chapter symbol and tear drop once more, as the black of the checkerboard is showing through slightly. Aside from that, cool conversion and I really like how the rest of the mini looks!

Cheers, ID

I know, but his girlfriends even worse - she's a Wales supporter! :wub:

The Chapter Symbol and blood drop are on my to do list. My freehands not great so I'm trying to work on that. Not going to try it tonight after a couple of drinks though :wub:

See what you mean about the chest eagle - might try adding some purple into the red wash just to darken up the recesses a bit.

I like it! You're missing his librarian's hood though ;). Besides that nitpicking, it's pretty good. Nice and solid conversion as well as paintjob.

Thanks for the compliments.

For all those that have missed the fluff I have included in this thread, there are one or two reasons that I have not sculpted a physical psychic hood.

1) Fluff-wise, the hood is incorporated into the helmet - that is why there are various wires sticking out. The "hood" doesn't actually need to be a hood at all. Check Mephiston for example, or even Ezekiel (though his is a cloth hood rather than a standard Marine psychic hood)

2) The last time I attempted to sculpt my own hood out of a spare shoulder pad, I ended up with severe lacerations in the tips of my thumbs. Not a good look.

I like it! You're missing his librarian's hood though :lol:. Besides that nitpicking, it's pretty good. Nice and solid conversion as well as paintjob.

For all those that have missed the fluff I have included in this thread, there are one or two reasons that I have not sculpted a physical psychic hood.

1) Fluff-wise, the hood is incorporated into the helmet - that is why there are various wires sticking out. The "hood" doesn't actually need to be a hood at all. Check Mephiston for example, or even Ezekiel (though his is a cloth hood rather than a standard Marine psychic hood)

2) The last time I attempted to sculpt my own hood out of a spare shoulder pad, I ended up with severe lacerations in the tips of my thumbs. Not a good look.

Ah that clears things out! Sorry about that: I think that's the only post I missed; my fault for not reading more slowly :rolleyes:. I'm just used to staring at the ones GW makes. In that case, your librarian is really unique! It's rare to see one without a psychic hood, and looking so much more like a warrior/champion then a librarian. I really like his left arm.

I like it! You're missing his librarian's hood though <_<. Besides that nitpicking, it's pretty good. Nice and solid conversion as well as paintjob.

Ah that clears things out! Sorry about that: I think that's the only post I missed; my fault for not reading more slowly <_<. I'm just used to staring at the ones GW makes. In that case, your librarian is really unique! It's rare to see one without a psychic hood, and looking so much more like a warrior/champion then a librarian. I really like his left arm.

No problem - I miss stuff all the time! The left arm was easier to do then it looks.

I plan in the future to buy a mail glove - like the ones butchers use - to help prevent lacerations.

Hi folks,

just to keep you updated, I have been working on my Chaplain on and off over this weekend (in between watching the Rugby - what a score for England!)

Anyway, hope to have some WIP shots up soon in the next day or two.

I'll keep you posted

Lestat

Its good so far, the one quirk I have with it is that the colors of the fire should be the other way around, going: (from the skull up) yellow/light (hottest) to red/dark (coolest). Example: http://www.laflame.com/images/LF_Logset.jpg

Other than that though, keep it going!

-Nikolakhs-

Nikolakhs - Thanks for the compliments.

Just to point out my reasons for painting fire the way I do, heres a brief explanation.

I'm using my college science as reference for the flames. On a Bunsen Burner - or even a lighter - the hottest part of the flame was always the tip of the inner cone (i.e. the blue bit - or, in the case of my Librarian, the darker red bit)

Besides, it's "magical" fire. As it's an extension of the Librarians psychic will, it could feasably be any colour he wishes ;) But I decided to go with the colours that best complement the armour.

I've also used reference materials - examples of which I have linked too below. The first pic clearly shows that the lighter colour is at the tips of the flames, but the darker colour is the centre.

http://scavenging.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/fire.jpg

http://www.gamerzneeds.net/forums/signatur...gpic15887_7.gif

http://www.jonesactmaritimelawblog.com/upl...TugboatFire.jpg

Hope that explains why I have painted the colours the way I have.

Now, I know that there will probably be a whole host of people saying that I have got it wrong, but it's down to personal preference at the end of the day.

• 3 weeks later...
Great work! fantastic use of bitz once again!

although may i suggest some brighter highlights on that black armour!

Duely noted - he's still not finished yet so the armour highlights are still to do!

Archived