Thunderhorses

Spacefrisian

My version of the Thunderwolf cavalry but on horses. Dont blame me blame gw if you dont like it, after all they dont provide us with the models LOL.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Spacefrisian/Spacewolves/IMG_3281.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Spacefrisian/Spacewolves/IMG_3282.jpg

Hq alone:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Spacefrisian/Spacewolves/IMG_3283.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/Spacefrisian/Spacewolves/IMG_3284.jpg

Yep i know the paint job isn't the finest but thats not the point i just wanted to show an alternative, also dont get me started on the thing that horses would not be able to lift a marine, these horses are astartes-horses. (someone will not read this and make a comment about it anyway mark my words)

^ Agreed :)

While unconventional, I probably like the idea more than I do the idea of Space Wolves riding Wolves into battle ;) The wolf pelt across the saddle of the HQ is a particularly nice touch and helps pull it off in my opinion.

As for them being Astartes horses - if that was the weirdest or most unlikely thing we could find in 40K then I'd be extremely worried ;)

Thumbs up sir ;) Good effort.

Of all the great horse minatures available in the WHFB range, why pick the horrible elven horses? Bretonnian knight horses or even modified Chaos knight horses would have probably worked better.

Nonetheless, it's a nice idea and neatly executed.

For the painting, you need to thing your paints more and do several layers instead of one to get a eve coverage. A finer detail brush would also be a good investment so you can paint the eyes a little better.

THUNDERHORSE!!!!!

LINK

Ride...

Ride...

Ride...

Ride...

Thunder...

Thunder...

Thunder...

Thunder...

Thunderhorse!

Thunderhorse!

Thunderhorse!

Thunderhorse!

Revenge!

Revenge!

Revenge!

Thunder...

Horse

Thunder...

Horse

Thunder...

Horse

Thunder...

Horse

Thunder, Thunder...

Thunder, Thunder, Thunder...

Thunder...

Thunder...

Horse

Thunderhorse!

Thunderhorse!

(Had to be done. Space Wolves+Dethklok=FTW)

Looks funny to me since I wouldn't think of the Wolves' horses wearing bardingy tabard things. I'd figure they'd have just actual armor barding but no fancy clothy stuff. Kinda goes against the image of them being hardcore IMO. Tho technically, in my mind they'd all have to be riding something the size of Archaon's horse.

Mongols could also ride with no hands so the "no hands-syndrom" is quite old, LOL.

About the archon horse 9or any size/ support etc etc) , put an Ig and Spacemarine side by side and they are the same hight. Now imagine the Marine brought to scale as described by fluff (truescale). Now apply that to the horse and you can figure out the horses would be bigger truescale. They would dwarf archons horse model or any other horse.

Buying Canis 6 times is quite expensive and as said before i had the horses. Note that name doesn't really matter Fantasy empire has a unit called Panther knights (or something similar) and they also ride on horses instead of panthers.

Absolutelt horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thunderwolf cavalry not thunder horse!!!!!!!!

And Gw does supply the models, canis wolfborn with a bit of conversion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely daft comment.

If that is your way of thinking, do you think the Salamanders are actually lizards, Space Wolves wolves and Blood Angels angels?

Thunderwolves can just be the name of their mobile wing, much like the raven wing.

I say good job on the conversions!! Much better than actual wolves.

Spacefrisian - good call on people not reading your comment and posting things you had no interest in. Both painting AND weight comments - 10/10 job foreseeing that one :D

I don't think they are the best looking 40K unit in the world, but you took parts that you had anyway and made them into a respectable and usable unit that don't really look that daft when compared to some of the 40K stuff out there! You used your imagination, got yourself a cool unit and saved yourself a fortune (by not listening to completely stupid arguments like buying 5/6 Canis models and converting). If you turned up to one of my gaming groups evenings with them you'd be welcome to use them, no questions asked (as most of us understand the TW / model issue) :)

If that is your way of thinking, do you think the Salamanders are actually lizards, Space Wolves wolves and Blood Angels angels?

Thunderwolves can just be the name of their mobile wing, much like the raven wing.

But thunderwolf cavalry IS a unit, not "mobile wing" as you said.

But thunderwolf cavalry IS a unit, not "mobile wing" as you said.

Ever heard of 'Counts As'?

We all know that this isn't what the ACTUAL SW TW are, but I would have thought it was blatantly clear by now that we are looking at someone's perfectly viable alternative to spending a fortune (On Canis x lots - and in many peoples opinion it's a crap model anyway) or not having Thunder'wolves' at all. A little bit of open-mindedness would do some people a lot of good it would seem.

Canis is a horrible model indeed and I don't question it, but I think HORSE doesn't fit for Space Wolves especialy for thunderWOLF cavalry. There are many fitting wolf models on maximini etc. Sentence "they can bear the marine weight because they are "astartes-horse" doesn't explain how they don't die under butts of marines. Oh and by the way, your "you don't like it because you are jealous" are the most retarded and immature words I've heard in my life.

Canis is a horrible model indeed and I don't question it, but I think HORSE doesn't fit for Space Wolves especialy for thunderWOLF cavalry. There are many fitting wolf models on maximini etc. Sentence "they can bear the marine weight because they are "astartes-horse" doesn't explain how they don't die under butts of marines. Oh and by the way, your "you don't like it because you are jealous" are the most retarded and immature words I've heard in my life.

He doesn't need to explain it, the clue is in the title, Astartes Horses, they could have been bred by the astates, use your imagination, after all this whole universe was the creation of someones/peoples imagination(s). The whole games system is fictional, it is not real. If he wants to use Horses let him. As he said, he had the horses laying around so why not use them. Instead of wasting money on buying actual wolf models he's used what he had. They may not be 'right' by fluff standards, but they get the job done and give him a perfectly good extra unit.

I don't like Space Wolves, never have done, but I can imagine them riding in on large horses.

Good use of your imagination and and a good start Frisian ;). Although I do agree that your comment, 'I think they are jealous for not coming up with this themselves' was a little stupid.

Archived