attaching special characters to squads

Dusktiger

ok, here's a question thats been on my mind for a while, now that i have more than one special character in my army that i'd actually use.

you can attach a special character, either a named figure, or a captain, libby, chappy, etc, to a squad and he runs around with them. we'll call this squad Alpha. now, i'm wondering, can more than one character join squad Alpha? such as, a captain, or a named captain/master, and then also have a chaplain or a librarian also join with them, so that squad Alpha has a captain and a chaplain, or, say, Vulkan and a chaplain, attached at the same time? i havent seen anything stating you can't in 5th edition's rulebooks, and when i read the 4th edition SM codex, it stated "support characters", such as "librarians and chaplains", may be attached to any squad a captain or master is already attached to, whether its a tactical, an assault, or even the captain's own command squad.

that's my question; is it still allowed, or is it a gray area to be discussed with your local players if theyre okay with it, or what

Well, pg 48 of the BRB discusses combining 2 or more IC's into uber-units: They can join other Independent Characters though, to form a powerful multi-character unit.

You can attach "support units" like a libby or chaplain to a captain and his squad. You just can't add a chaplain with a command squad to a captain with his command squad. Any other restrictions will be laid out in the appropriate codex.

Archived