teleport homers from inside transports

terminatorAM

Page 101, Space Marine codex.

"Also note that the homer must already be on the table at the start of the turn for it to be used."

This is the norm for wargear like a Chaos Icon or Teleport Homer.

the rule you are looking for is Pg 66 of thre BrB, under "embarking"

It allows any special rule/ability that does not require LOS to be used from inside a vehcal to effect those outside, or from outside to effect those inside.

are you telling me that if I LOS with a libie i hit both the tank and the troops??

What are you asking?

You can't hit a unit inside a transport, period. The unit inside can hit targets outside, either with passive abilities (like teleport homers, icons, etc) or targeted (shooting, psy powers that need LOS, etc) but the latter need a firepoint from which it's measured, as outlined in the BRB.

the rule you are looking for is Pg 66 of thre BrB, under "embarking"

It allows any special rule/ability that does not require LOS to be used from inside a vehcal to effect those outside, or from outside to effect those inside.

are you telling me that if I LOS with a libie i hit both the tank and the troops??

Librarians have no poweres that do not require LOS save for Null Zone. You cannot draw Line of Sight to something in a transport, Line of sight can only be drawn from something in a transport (to something not in a transport) using fire points (ot open toped vehicles).

You can't hit a unit inside a transport, period.

This is not true. The rule (embarking pg 66) which is referenced in the FAQ that says you may use non-LOS psychic powers from inside a transport says "measurements to and from". Thus it works both ways. Models in transports ARE effected passive abilities. For example if Lysanders bolter drill effected all units within 6" (instead of just those he is attached to), and he was standing next to a rhino, the marines in the rhino could reroll failed to hits with the appropriat weapons. If the Doom of Malan'tai lands next to your land raider, then the terminators inside will have to take the leadership test.

That's what I was saying Frosty, you just expanded it for me. I know passive abilities like you mentioned affect units inside transports (Pariah's Soulless being another sneaky one) as that's just how it goes. I meant by my comment that you cannot target a unit inside a transport with shooting or other similar actions.

Furry of the ancients still around?
Not for two years :tu:.

That's what I was saying Frosty, you just expanded it for me. I know passive abilities like you mentioned affect units inside transports (Pariah's Soulless being another sneaky one) as that's just how it goes. I meant by my comment that you cannot target a unit inside a transport with shooting or other similar actions.

Furry of the ancients still around?
Not for two years :huh:.

actualy you can, as long as it doesnt reqire LOS, there are two shooting attacks in the entire game that meat this requirement, smart missles (tau) and impaler cannons (Tyranid). There are also likely a few targeted psychic powers that can dont require LOS, do not use templates or the such (which require models to be under them), though I cant think of em of the top of my head and do not feal like pooring over codecs at the moment. I do beleive its not RAI, but the RAW of it allows it for those very narrow criteria (requires no LOS and targets units not models, uses no templates).

Note that on the Chaos Icon that Ntin mentioned previously – it is explicitly stated that it can be used from within a vehicle measuring from the hull [p81 Codex CSM]. Interestingly on the Chaos Icon rule, it too finishes:

"Also note that an Icon must already be on the table at the start of the turn for it to be used."

But at least we know for sure it works from within a transport :).

Cheers

I

There is also enough of a precedence in the game to argue vehicle edge. Orks’ Kustom Force Field, special character auras (id est Iron Hand Straken), pyskers shooting of vehicles, just to name a few.

The Tyranid Doom of Malantai has a non-psychic ability that makes all units within 6 inches roll 3d6, taking the margin of failure as no armor save wounds. Thus, the doom would, by the above logic, melt brains inside of tin cans.

Which is why I have always argued against all abilities working into and out of vehicles without clarification (so no teleport homer and no doom spirit leech), however I am in the minority.

Which is why I have always argued against all abilities working into and out of vehicles without clarification (so no teleport homer and no doom spirit leech), however I am in the minority.

No you're not... I agree completely.

Actually, he can still be in the minority even though you agree...

Incidentally, I think it could do with clarification...

The Doom of Malantai raises some very interesting questions. If he CAN melt brains that are inside a transport, what happens if you take 25% casualties from the power? Let's say a 5-man squad takes two casualties from the power. That would require a Morale check if they weren't inside a transport.

Do they now have to take one? What do you do if they fail? 2" disembark move count as part of the Fall Back move, or in addition?

Morale checks from within a vehicle are not a new thing. A 5 man marine squad in a rhino with plasma gun and plasma pistol sarge can overheat, and kill 2 models; this would cause a morale check in 3rd, 4th or 5th edition, except the unit is embarked. The morale check while embarked problem has been around for 3 editions now since ive been playing, its just rare enough that no FAQ has addressed the problem as far as I remember.

Actually, he can still be in the minority even though you agree...

;) Indeed. Well pointed out. I guess we are both in the minority then.

You are righ that clarification is needed. Anyone checked on dakkadakka INIT rules topic to see if it's been added to their list to FAQ? Personally I think it's a Grey Area with an equally valid argument to support either viewpoint.

But I've always erred on it not being available from within a transport.

Cheers

I

The BrB FAQ very first question, cites the rule pg 66 to allow psychic powers with non LOS abiliites/auras to operate while inside a vehicle, even ones without fireingpoints/opentopped. The rule cited makes no special case for psychic powers and as such would be viable for any power that meats the non-los abilities/auras requirements. Its not grey in the least, its pure RAW. You can argue weather or not it was intended sure.

It should however be noted that the FAQ also forbids psychic powers from effecting models in a transport (its one of the ones in that crazy hard to read light blue) though they have no rule support and use "for simpicity's sake" as the reason. even with that their is an arugment for aura based psychic powers due to them not being used on targets, and simply being passive.

link to FAQ

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Custom..._March_2009.pdf

Archived