[LPC] WIP DA Jump Pack Chaplain

This is the start of my first WIP for this years LPC (Blog can found in my sig).

Decided to start on the HQ unit and have this going while I'm finishing the squads.

The idea behind his character is that he is the company Chaplain (so not an Interrogator yet!) and his mode of operation is to lead from the front via dropping in with the Assault Marines.

His crozius is based around a power mace so will be suitably righteous when finished and he carries a storm bolter (which will be made myself)

Not much done yet but here he is so far.

gallery_28554_2155_63513.jpg

I've made a few stormbolters that way but I have several spare DA stormbolters (from the Upgrade packs) so will look at using one of them unless it looks wrong.

I've been working on the robes at present and I've got them to a point I like (minus the freehand I'm planning!)

gallery_28554_2155_7290.jpg

gallery_28554_2155_2478.jpg

I'm planning on coloured robes for all my characters as I wanted something to make them stand out.

That a nice red. It's in keeping with the DA's background and your fluff too - where Azazel isn't an interrorgator chaplain yet and so therefore not part of the Deathwing/Inner Council.

I'll be keeping an eye on this and maybe borrow a couple of ideas :lol:

The red is the first attempt at it so I'm pretty pleased!

My recipe for red robes:

Chaos black undercoat.

Mechrite Red basecoat.

Liche Purple in all the creases.

(Layer up the next coats, leaving a little of the previous one visible).

1:1 Liche Purple:Scab Red.

1:1:1 Liche Purple:Scab Red: Blood Red.

2:1 Scab Red: Blood Red.

1:1 Scab Red: Blood Red.

2:1 Blood Red: Fiery Orange.

1:1 Blod Red: Fiery Orange.

I plan on having all my characters with coloured robes. Blue for librarians, green for the captains, red for chaplains (like this one). As my whole 3rd company force will be robed it was the only way I could think of making them stand out.

I've been doing a bit of basecoating on some of the other colours so it's not much of an update but you can see where I'm headed with it.

gallery_28554_2155_8849.jpg

gallery_28554_2155_1030.jpg

gallery_28554_2155_14882.jpg

With the metal areas I'm planning on highlighting up from tinbitz through the golds with a final small highlight of mithrilsilver. The skull pad is going to obviously be bone but I'm toying with the idea of painting the eyes in as either green or red lenses.

The holster will have a gold trim and the scroll cases need bringing up to parchment and the metal needs some depth.

Is the storm bolter set in stone? Just for extra shots upon deepstrike? If so you're sacrificing assault power for it, and though I'm not familiar with the DA version, the codex marine chaplain has a pathetic amount of attacks for an IC without the pistol bonus. I do like the twin-linked bolter, gives him a pre heresy feel(could say it was wargear passed down amongst the company chaplains since the heresy).

I'm liking the model so far, the red is a nice deep rich tone.

EDIT: I just realized that you still have an armory and so can have a storm bolter and a pistol, ignore that bit. ;)

Another update. The stormbolter will be staying and I'll be keeping the DA stormbolter as I feel its a more finished looking weapon than a home made one.

Worked on the stormbolter arm (bringing the metal up to near gold). Not sure whether to bring it up to a brighter gold or add some shade to it to keep it brassy.

Also worked on the scroll cases. May add a further highlight to the scrolls.

gallery_28554_2155_7719.jpg

gallery_28554_2155_27453.jpg

gallery_28554_2155_4669.jpg

The sharp eyed will also spot my devastator squad thats WIP.

If you're open to a new Stormbolter idea that is homemade but looks very good is a pre-heresy Stormbolter.

Take your first Boltgun and carefully cut the iron site off and shave/file it smooth, this is your base.

The second boltgun is much trickier, first you have to very carefully cut the barrel muzzle off because you do need that, then you need to draw a mental line across the whole Boltgun that lines up where the shroud meets the body. Clean up that cut and glue that on top of your first boltgun. Unfortunately I don't have a picture-by-picture tutorial but I'm sure someone else has made one if you look for it on this site, but if it's wanted I certainly do not mind doing one!

Another update this evening as I seem to be on a roll with this model!

gallery_28554_2155_2610.jpg

gallery_28554_2155_18497.jpg

gallery_28554_2155_5212.jpg

Still working on the stormbolter arm. The skull on the pad needs a couple of highlights, the blade on the bolter needs doing as well as the DA symbol.

The body is pretty much done apart from decals and freehand.

Head is started but needs loads of work!

Comments appreciated as always!

The skull pad still needs a highlight coat as at present it's only had a couple of coats.

I'm toying with the idea of a different stormbolter but i do like the one I'm using.

If I do change it I may go for a better made version of this one (from my SW lord - on a 40mm base!)

gallery_28554_1781_27745.jpg

Yeah the SW lord is sort of true scale. The legs were hacked up and resculpted. It was finished about two years ago and I think my painting has improved a fair bit since then. I've been doing a lot of Chaos Warriors recently but using the LPC to get back into 40K.

Krom Dragonblaze if you're interested in seeing more pics but the thread is two years old so the powers that be may not like any comments resurrecting it!

Another update. Almost there. Apart from the crozius shoulder pad and a few clean up touches the colours are pretty much done. There may be a few washes and highlights needed to a few things.

I have to highlight the black armour still and possibly add some freehand (which may get done later as my LPC vow is in danger of falling behind!)

gallery_28554_2155_31759.jpg

gallery_28554_2155_15843.jpg

gallery_28554_2155_19704.jpg

gallery_28554_2155_584.jpg

Next shots may well be in a finished state. Comments welcome as always.

Cheers!

The skull pad recipe was as follows:

graveyard earth or khemri brown.

two heavy washes of gryphonne sepia (especially around the eyes)

2:1 bleached bone: graveyard earth leaving the recesses

bleached bone layered up on the previous coats

washes of gryphonne sepia to the recesses only

skull white to the raised areas.

gallery_28554_2155_20030.jpg

Archived