Gate of Infinity

VonWyll

I have a few questions concerning gate of infinity.

Technically, gate of infinity is activated 'at the start of the librarians movement phase' and this psychic power has caused a few hilarious, yet, questionable, situations in my regular gaming group. I am not a Space Marines player myself, so i am more looking to sate my own curiosity then anything else, but answers to the following questions regarding this ability would be helpful.

Firstly, if the Librarian is in close combat at the start of his turn, can he Gate of Infinity out of it? And if not, why not?

Secondly, if the Librarian breaks and is falling back, at the start of his next movement phase is he allowed to use Gate to relocate himself?

I'm by no means a veteran space marine player, but I have heard the first question passed around a few times. Where I play it is generally accepted that you can teleport out of close combat simply because the rules does not state that you are unable to use the psychic power when in CC.

As for the second one, I have no idea, though I must say that I find it highly unrealistic that the librarian would go "alright lads, fall back! Fall back!" and then halfway down the field go "alright, I teleport us back into the fight!"

And They Shall Know No Fear indeed :P

1. It is questionable, precidence says no as all other teleport powers make a specific note if they can be used to remove you from CC. And then there is the whole question of "is deepstriking movement." Its been discussed to death, do a search you will find PAGES.

2. I see no reason that would stop you (except thematic issues), however you again run into the the "is deepstriking movement" issue, because if it IS, then while you would be allowed to use Gate, you would have to do it in the most direct path toward your table edge.

For #1 I would say yes, you can Gate out of Combat. The reason I say this is because the Necron Veil of Darkness allows the Lord and his squad to do a pretty similar thing (leaving the enemies in place), so I and my gaming group assume that the same logic applies to GoI.

For number 2, I would say yes only if the Librarian could use ATSKNF to regroup in his start-of-turn position.

However, both of these are just my opinions.

For #1 I would say yes, you can Gate out of Combat. The reason I say this is because the Necron Veil of Darkness allows the Lord and his squad to do a pretty similar thing (leaving the enemies in place), so I and my gaming group assume that the same logic applies to GoI.

The Necron veil rule specifically allows this in its description, Gate however does not.

I'd say Gating out of combat is not allowed.

The Necron veil rule specifically allows this in its description, Gate however does not.

I'd say Gating out of combat is not allowed.

For this reason, I agree. No teleporting out of combat.

RoV

Just thought I would post an email between me and Games Workshop clearing up this issue. I wasn't expecting a reply but hey, I have removed my name from the emails below. ;)

Here is the email.

Good day,

I have a couple of questions regarding the Space Marine Librarians psychic power "Gate of Infinity".

Is it used at the start of the movement phase or just before the Librarian is personally moved?

Can the power be used if the Librarian is in close combat at the start of his movement phase?

Can the power be used if the Librarian is fleeing and if so does it go before or after the re-group test ?

Do normal items that effect deep strike ( e.g teleport homers) effect the deep strike from this power?

Thanks for your time.

Regards

This is the responce.

Hi

Thanks for writing in, lets see if we can clear this up for you:

1. I believe what they're trying to say the player's movement phase.

2. Yes, there is nothing stopping you from doing so.

3. This is done after regrouping, remember if you can take the regrouping test then you automatically pass it.

4. Yes, as they use the rules for 'Deep Strike' they will benefit from war gear that is associated with Deep Striking troops.

Best Regards,

Paolo

So there you have it, combat is aloud, the answer on regrouping is sketchy but hey.

Well, they work at Warhammer World, but I guess so. A print out of this email is as likely an authority position on the matter that i'm going to get though.

GW employies, even the ones that answer the emails, are not consistant. Ask the same question multiple times, you will get different answers. Untill its in a FAQ is posted definitive answers these are not.

The Rulz Boyz are generally disregarded, at least by the internet community at large. They are inconsistant.

Does anyone remember the old 13th Co. rules for their teleport power? I would say (and this isn't official in any way) that since Gate is pretty much lifted from that power that it's a much better precident than a Necron power.

Interesting answers. I'm not sure if it takes us forward Official Rules wise though :unsure:. His [Paulo] answers would be strictly houserule solutions until FAQ'd properly. All the same good for you for asking VonWyll.

Cheers

I

The Rulz Boyz are generally disregarded, at least by the internet community at large. They are inconsistant.

Does anyone remember the old 13th Co. rules for their teleport power? I would say (and this isn't official in any way) that since Gate is pretty much lifted from that power that it's a much better precident than a Necron power.

The 13th Co rules for Gate specifically allowed you to port out of close combat and was not limited to 24". This represented 13th Co Gate being much more powerful then just normal Gate of Infinity.

Archived