Chosen

Corpse.

Lately I have gotten a grasp of how I like to use my chosen. I run them as one of two variations.

5 with 5 Flamers, 5 Meltabombs, no transport or icon = 140 points

5 with 5 Plasma Guns, 5 Meltabombs, Rhino with Combi-Flamer = 220

Sounds funky but I as of lately noticed with chosen, particularly with chaos that there is a theme going against me. Either tanks do not move, or I can hit the rear of transports if they do move up a flank near range, allowing plasma to kill for me and only out of a rhino. If I must have a rhino unit go deep and hit the rear of a dreadnought with plasma, or otherwise. The plasma unit's points has been no issue for me.

The flamer unit though always comes out as underdogs. Before I play someone, we normally agree to not share lists, but I still mention that I am chaos space marines. Putting the idea in their mind I often play a melee army in chaos, or that they can only lose against chaos by melee(IG, Tau) they will deploy along the flanks where possible. This allows my flamer unit to do their job, sounds foolish but it works even if they know I have outflankers.

I capitalize on this with what the rest of the army consists of, usually melee or otherwise short range as typical chaos. Push up the middle as always.

After enough games with these typical strategies, I noticed that my chosen have hammered their points worth in nearly every game. I do not exaggerate this, I kept track. Past 3 games on my notes:

A 140pt flamer unit removed 32 orks and wounded the warboss twice before being wiped out, different game they took out 7 berzerkers, and the game before that they unluckily only took down 2 basilisks while hitting with all 5 meltabombs.

The 22pt plasma unit in those same games removed 2 battlewagons and survived as 1 model, took out 3 terminators and wounded Khârn down to 1 wound(and then died horribly to overheats haha), killed 3 chimeras and tank shocked 1 lascannon heavy weapon team off the table.

This has been a constant, and not because I have had experience with them. It's been pretty easy and I have had terrible luck sometimes, but its just the possibility that they could have done terrible damage when I had such luck is when I stand back and wonder. Is a outflanking 'havoc' squad too much - considering the typical playstyles of chaos? Chaos rushes in, a basic strategy is to split the chaos short range units by deploying wide and hitting weak spots.

Think I have played roughly 50 games straight with my chaos marines using chosen in every game, various variants but they somewhat evolved/devolved into those two units I use now as my baseline. I wish I kept track of more games to emphasize how often they do well for me. Even in games where they arrive late, I gamble and partially 'retreat' to one side of the table where I try to get them to arrive on and sometimes save a scoring unit from certain death or an otherwise similar scenario.

Looking at other codexes, to get a outflanking meltagun/flamer/plasma unit of such caliber even among several units takes a fair bit of points or effort. I hope they won't nerf chosen any time soon.

Sounds like you've had some good success with them Corpse.

Its easier to do the same thing with Terminators and rely on Deepstriking but it sounds like you're having better luck with Chosen/Outflanking.

In many ways they all accomplish the same thing, alternate deployment and close range firepower.

I almost never leave home without a five man unit of these annoying little guys, I have a bit of a reputation among my gaming group for popping armor in enemy deployment zones, much to their chagrin. I tried a ten man unit for more survivability yesterday, but all it really accomplished was making them harder to hide / place.

I set them up much the same as you guys:

X5 Plasma guns for rapid firing MEQ / TEQ / MC hunting, also very useful vs DE Raiders, Ravagers and the endlessly annoying Talos.

Or

X3 Flamers X2 MG for Orks

Or

X3 MG X2 Flamers for an all comers list

I currently experimenting with two units of five, one to infiltrate and pop armor / cause problems on their side of the board and draw attention away from the one quietly hiding somewhere in cover near the middle, waiting to assist other squads, snipe MCs, or contest.

Postumus

• 5 weeks later...

I'm really interested in this.

I have 5 models that would be excellent as Chosen, and i'm looking for a marine based option (ie not Daemons or even Obliterators) to fill a remaining 150 pts in my 1000pt list.

I'm mainly going to fighting Orks and Marines (possibly a bit of Eldar). None of us take things that seriously, it's all just for fun, so i'm not worried about better options for the points, or something more competitive. I have the models, and this seems like a cool way to go with them.

Bearing this in mind, i'd like my models to be wysiwyg, so would the 3 flamers, 2 melta set up be a good all round choice for dealing with these opponents?

I already have 2 meltas and a combi melta in my CSM squad, so i was wondering whether i should go for 5 flamers? - Also, there's not a huge amount of mechanised stuff on our table, couple of Ork trucks or a Rhino or two, maybe a dread - so again, in this case, are the melta's reduntant?

If you will be handling transports, and if the enemy comes close to the sides it would be best in larger games where the opponent would be more likely to hit the sides of the table. But, it would be devastating if you pull it off.

Chosen seem to work better in higher points games you don't intend to fill elites with lots of terminators for their usefulness and cheap cost. You might be disappointed in smaller games, but go for it. I tried smaller games, and often I find myself deploying against aggressive advancing opponents in the corner, forcing his units that want to advance closer to the table edge. While against a defensive opponent, you might want to deploy in the middle, making his best option being the corners of the table. But that's shooting in the dark if you don't know your opponents in a smaller game where space is not an issue.

Cheers for the response man, although you're probably giving me and my opponents too much credit! None of us (me and my 3 housemates) are really any good. Honestly, i think we just place our models with pretty minimal strategy, and no one has a firm grasp of the game yet. The emphasis is very much on fun. Also our board is very small (kitchen table) so models frequently end up near the edge of the table by default.

So i guess, the nature of my opponents strategy is pretty random, and i think this unit will probably have correspondingly random success for me. It'll probably be quite a lot of luck, but i imagine if they do get that good luck (and i'm sure they'll have the element of surprise for the first few games too) they could probably do some damage!

In which case, do you think that i should keep them a bit more versatile with 2 meltas, or go all the way with the 5 flamers?! (I certainly like the idea of 5 flamers from a modeling perspective)

I've been toying around with a unit of 5 with all plasma in a rhino set for flanking. It's one of the tricks that most people don't expect from chaos. In conjugation with me always trying to put at least 1 objective within 12" I always find targets

I go with 5 flamers because they have meltabombs as an option and since the table edge is such a popular place to put a stationary tank like a basilisk.. I tend to go the way of 140 point five man flamer+meltabomb unit. Or the 165 point 5 plasma gun unit inside a 35 pt rhino, rush, deploy and rapid fire something 24" from one side and hit side armor with 10 str7 shots. Since if something is that near the middle of the table, I won't expect to get 6" melta range bonus and +1str with AP1 seems not as good as 2 str7 shots when hitting 12 and below side armor. (And melting terminators)

The melta+Flamer thing was something I enjoyed but with the meltabombs sort of diving into their usefulness, and the rest of my army picking up on what they don't target. I found that 5 flamers can decimate 30 orks down to less then 15 models decently, and then charge to wipe out perhaps all the rest of them. (If they left any models near me that is, and they fail their LD)

5x average 7 models hit = 35 hits = 17.5 wounds

Plasma gun unit likes being a small unit and firing with the rhino blocking view to certain things like a devastator unit and the unit is facing the enemies terminators/HQ.

It's one of the tricks that most people don't expect from chaos.

Truth. I wouldn't expect it at all.

Look! An Ultramarine! In our forum! What is this madness?! *aims plasma pistol :P *

So help me, if any of you say it, I will hurt you.

Getting back on topic, would you guys reccomend a unit of melee Chosen? I asked about them on a different forum and they suggested

6 Chosen

Asp. Champion

Icon of Slaanesh

4x Power Weapons

5x Plasma Pistols

Meltagun

Would this work if I had them roll up in a Rhino and head straight for the heavy infantry and/or HQ?

Look! An Ultramarine! In our forum! What is this madness?! *aims plasma pistol :) *

Getting back on topic, would you guys reccomend a unit of melee Chosen? I asked about them on a different forum and they suggested

6 Chosen

Asp. Champion

Icon of Slaanesh

4x Power Weapons

5x Plasma Pistols

Meltagun

Would this work if I had them roll up in a Rhino and head straight for the heavy infantry and/or HQ?

can't have 4 power weapons and 5 plasma as you only have 5 slots for upgrading, chosen are all about melta/flamer/plasma spam.

Look! An Ultramarine! In our forum! What is this madness?! *aims plasma pistol :devil: *

6 Chosen

Asp. Champion

Icon of Slaanesh

4x Power Weapons

5x Plasma Pistols

Meltagun

can't have 4 power weapons and 5 plasma as you only have 5 slots for upgrading, chosen are all about melta/flamer/plasma spam.

Now that I've found my rulebook, I see you are indeed correct. This kinda sucks :) .

I may have to revise these guys a wee bit.....

chosen aren't really worth it in a CC capacity compared to termies.....

chosen x 6, 4x power weapons, meltagun = 178 pts

termies x 5, 5x power weapons, 5x combi-melta = 175 pts

almost the same points, your losing 1 man but gaining 2+/5++ saves an extra power weapon, your combi-meltas and deep strike ability ;)

i know what i'd rather have :P

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say that my opinion on Chosen has been changing alot recently.

With the single shot nature of Termicide coupled with the typical IG deepstriking counters, I'm thinking that Outflanking Rhinos full of special weapons is the way to go.

As Cpt. Postumus said, I'm partial to the 3 Meltguan, 2 Flamer squad. Its the same number of Melta shots as a Termicide unit gets but it gets it every turn. In additon you have 5 Krak Grenades as backup anti-tank. The 2x Flamers are there because you have a fair chance of rolling in on the opposite side you want and I'd hate to be staring down 30 Ork Boyz or a blob IG squad with only Meltaguns. Its true that 2 Flamers won't be enough to entirely remove those squads, but they can do alot more damage then just Meltaguns and it keeps the squad cheaper.

I think mixing weapons also has the advantage of making it easier to determine who is going to catch that bullet first.

I have to say that my opinion on Chosen has been changing alot recently.

With the single shot nature of Termicide coupled with the typical IG deepstriking counters, I'm thinking that Outflanking Rhinos full of special weapons is the way to go.

As Cpt. Postumus said, I'm partial to the 3 Meltguan, 2 Flamer squad. Its the same number of Melta shots as a Termicide unit gets but it gets it every turn. In additon you have 5 Krak Grenades as backup anti-tank. The 2x Flamers are there because you have a fair chance of rolling in on the opposite side you want and I'd hate to be staring down 30 Ork Boyz or a blob IG squad with only Meltaguns. Its true that 2 Flamers won't be enough to entirely remove those squads, but they can do alot more damage then just Meltaguns and it keeps the squad cheaper.

I think mixing weapons also has the advantage of making it easier to determine who is going to catch that bullet first.

Would you put IoCG on these fella's to better keep them alive?

Would you put IoCG on these fella's to better keep them alive?

Honestly, if I had a spare 10 points laying around probably.

However I'd go into battle with a naked LD10 and not really worry about it, chances are that the squad will get wiped out prior to me having to make any significant LD checks.

Would Chosn be a good idea for a Thhousand Sons all round list, at the monment it stands as:

Chaos Sorcerer with MOT, Bolt of change. Doom bolt

5 terminators, 1 reaper autocannon, 2power fists. 2 combi weapons

Thousand sons squad, Aspiring Sorcerer, 8 Thousand son marines, doombolt

Thousand sons squad, Aspiring Sorcerer. 7 Thousand Sons, Doombolt

Now I have 110pts left to spend, would a squad of 5 chosen with 2 meltas or one plasma gun, or would another squad of 3 termis be better, or dread with 2 combat weapons?

Basically could chosen help Thousand sons?

Would Chosn be a good idea for a Thhousand Sons all round list, at the monment it stands as:

Chaos Sorcerer with MOT, Bolt of change. Doom bolt

5 terminators, 1 reaper autocannon, 2power fists. 2 combi weapons

Thousand sons squad, Aspiring Sorcerer, 8 Thousand son marines, doombolt

Thousand sons squad, Aspiring Sorcerer. 7 Thousand Sons, Doombolt

Now I have 110pts left to spend, would a squad of 5 chosen with 2 meltas or one plasma gun, or would another squad of 3 termis be better, or dread with 2 combat weapons?

Basically could chosen help Thousand sons?

I've been a chosen fan since the beginning, I used to love my retinue in third edition. Anyway I have all sorts of wacky ideas for chosen and built one for last year's astronomi-con Vancouver which worked surprisingly well.

5 Chosen

4 Combi-meltas

1 Missile Launcher

http://www.muschamp.ca/OffSite/WIPModels/CSM/finishedChosen.jpg

I too have thought often of the H2H Chosen but in the end I too have had great success with massed special weapons. About the missile launcher, basically if you roll the wrong number or you come in and blast away the tank or whatever you're often stuck hoofing it for a while, another option is to just sit tight and fire missiles from the flank which gives you lots of nice side armor shots.

I did the combi-meltas as I could still shoot at 24 inches while standing still when infiltrating or when hunkered down after completing the primary mission.

I've run Nurgle chosen a lot too, last tournament I ran a squad of three plasmas, a champ with power fist, and the missile launcher. It did OK. They were in a Rhino with a Havoc Launcher which is what I want to do to both extend the range of the meltas but also to give them more mobility and speed in general.

The other use of Chosen which I plan on trying out is as a Greater Demon delivery system. I also may try an autocannon instead of a missile launcher as for Chosen it is the same cost.

Don't feel bad about using Chosen, IG use tonnes of Veterans but Eldar with their Warwalkers and Harlequins outflanking are the kings of it, IMHO. Plus Chosen are great for conversion opportunities.

chosen my weapons of choice on the battlefield

5x plasma guns infiltrated mark of nurgle placed in buliding or behind some cover they take the heat whilst you forces move up and can score some pretty big kills if your dice throwing is in

5x melta guns in rhino with mrk of tzeentch held back until emeny armour or equivilent starts to move then speed your rhino up the field disimbark then BLAMMOOOOOOOOOOO if you lose the rhino the mrk of tzeentch will cover most of them until you get in range

Used 10 outflanking Chosen with 4 Meltas and a Powerfist in a Rhino against IG the other day and they messed up his whole right flank. Sure, they were expensive as hell, but the two toasted Leman Russ in one squadron in the first turn of their arrival already made the investment worth it.

Oh, I have an idea!

5 x Chosen

Flamer x 5, Rhino, Combi-melta on the Rhino

Outflank them, roll on the board, blow up something with the melta shot (I hope!) and then bathe some walking infantry with hellfire. I like the sound of that!

Archived