Chosen

Corpse.

used 9 with 3 melta/2 flamers/3 meltabombs/icon of chaos glory in a rhino against IG the other day and it worked very well. Fun part was using imperial SM minis for it and shouting "Look, it's the Space Marines! We're saved!" before outflanking his outflanking valkyre and unleashing melta.

Despite that, we have LOTS of deep striking units in every army slot and full icon coverage. Why depend on outflanking, when you can bury your enemy in "demonic intervention", combi-termicide and oblits with deadly precision?

I think the downside is that unlike the nifty new codices, chaos doesn't really have anything to modify reserve rolls, therefore making the chosen quite unrelieable. I was lucky the IG didn't field a fleet officer.

one unit is fun, though. It has this "wait, what?" moment that has become so rare in chaos armies.

used 9 with 3 melta/2 flamers/3 meltabombs/icon of chaos glory in a rhino against IG the other day and it worked very well.

Do you think the squad would have performed much differently if you had a Power Fist?

used 9 with 3 melta/2 flamers/3 meltabombs/icon of chaos glory in a rhino against IG the other day and it worked very well.

Do you think the squad would have performed much differently if you had a Power Fist?

Actually - no (or yes: worse). Why swap a special weapon for a fist if you can give the squad 3 meltabombs instead? Only situation I can imagine the fist being better is in CC against a walker (not the texas ranger though) or monstrous creatures (nids is the only army I'd consider a different setup), both of which is very unlikely playing against IG and circumventable against other armies. The squad blew up a valkyre, charged and destroyed its veteran inhabitants, wrecked a leman russ and flamed two infantry squads to death later - not much else to ask for, really.

I love using chosen,

Ive been infiltrating a squad and flanking the other

Inf 6 Chosen, 4 PlasmaGun, 1 Rocket Launcher, Icon Chaos Glory

Flank 6 Chosen, 4 Melta-gun, 1 Flamer, Icon Chaos Glory

I use 6 men to include a bullet catcher, since they are invariably shot up by my opponents,

They give off a summoning aura, and Im using lots of lesser daemons, and they give time for my Khorne squads to run their 7-12 inches a turn forwards

I think I might turn the 4 meltas down to 3 though

• 2 weeks later...

oh really? looks like ill have to watch out for these guys on Monday :lol:

If i was running one of my horde marine armies, guess i might go for a few squads of 5, they seem to be all right, i just have fears of anything that uses reserve rolls, my reserve rolls suck.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading these tactics on chosen. I kinda want to give them a try. I play a buddy of mine who has a vast space marine army and I 'm finding it difficult to WIN! He prides himself on his tank busting of my rhinos (stopping my zerks from getting close) and wiping out any termie on the board.

I was thinking that he wouldn't expect Chosen! He'll spend his time trying to pop my rhinos that he'll prolly ignore them.

5 Chosen w/ 5 plasma Infiltrate in to a safe spot

and

5 chosen w/ 5 meltaguns outflank to pop his armor

I also read that u guys through in a few flamers into the mix. Should i do this as well? What defense will my meltas have? How do I play them? how do I get into half weapon range? If I give them a rhino, that will add more focus to them. As for the plasmas what should i concentrate my fire on?

I'm not sure if this will work and if it does I might not be able to use it again successfully against him. Any help would be appreciated!

I also read that u guys through in a few flamers into the mix. Should i do this as well?

I often say that its worth it to use a Flamer or two and my reasoning is simple. 3-4 Meltaguns will normally do the same job and having access to a template weapon can be very useful against infantry based armies, so in an all comers list, it pays to be flexible.

What defense will my meltas have? How do I play them? how do I get into half weapon range? If I give them a rhino, that will add more focus to them.

Rhino and Outflank. I would never try to Infiltrate with Melta and Flamers, they are just too short of range and you can't get within 6" first turn unless they move toward you. With the Rhino, you even have the option of hiding inside of it and shooting 2 weapons out the fire point.

As for the plasmas what should i concentrate my fire on?

I'm less convinced by the 5x Plasma squad because each guy is so expensive and you have no body bags. As for targets, MCs, Terminators and light armor are your best choices.

I'm not sure if this will work and if it does I might not be able to use it again successfully against him. Any help would be appreciated!

The best tactic in my mind is put them in a Rhino and Outflank. Chances are you'll pop up next to something you can hurt and the Rhino will help protect your tiny squad while giving them the mobility they need to threaten armor. The unreliable nature of it works both ways so your opponent has to think about them arriving on either side of the board.

Also don't forget that you can assault afterwards (assuming you just didn't disembark) and some Krak Grenades are good backup for killing armor or assault a unit to stop it from shooting (Long Fangs for example).

I used chosen for the first time a week ago. * man with 4 MG and PF, IoCG in a rhino to outflank. They did well, but because they outflanked some deamons arrived before I was able to get the icon on the table into the enemies position. I like the idea of a chosen infiltrator squad to harass the enemy for the first turn or two before the rest of the army gets into position.

I think it will be given a try.

I personally love my Chosen with 5xflamers. A 5 man squad, kept rather cheap, outflanking and just killing things. My friends have started calling my army the "Chaos-Salamanders" because I field a unit of Termi-cide, the 5xflamer chosen and a Dread with a heavy flamer.

The Chosen are just one of those elements my opponent has to be aware of. They've killed an entire unit of Gray Hunters, roasted a good 15 Kroot (can you say you've rolled 50 hits from a 5-man unit?!) and scared the crap out of an infantry platoon, into accidentally moving closer to my Khorne Berzerkers and getting wiped out.

One big point on Rhinos, for ANYONE INTENDING TO OUTFLANK A CHOSEN SQUAD WHO HAS AN EXTRA RHINO, consider this:

a 35 point rhino adds several extremely significant bonuses to your outflank squad.

1. Tank Shock; if your opponent felt like blocking your chosen with some guardsmen, simply park your tank atop his squad and tell him to move his men out the way.

2. Distance; a Rhino can enter the game sideways, advance 12", pivot (gain 1"), then disembark the squad off the back ramp (and pop smoke launchers since you are exposing the back) adding 3" more. So you total gain another 10" to your melta/flamer/plasma gun range than if you walked on.

3. Screening; if there is a unit that is very likely to annihilate your chosen post arrival (obliterators/zoanthropes/dark reapers) simply place your rhino between your chosen and that unit, unload on the other side, and pop smoke. Now your enemy's anti infantry fire must wait for that smoky 35 point rhino to explode (cuz immobalized and destroyed still block Line of Sight) in order to hurt your 140-200 point chosen squad.

4. Transport; ever had your chosen pop on the wrong side of the board? or arrive to destroy their target then have nothing to do? simply including a rhino allows them to relocate to another target before the end of the game. Wasting a special weapons squad because they have too far to run is a damn shame!

My best memory of recent was 5 plasma guns chosen rollin all hit on a winged hive tyrant in turn one. Made my day then they were charged by 5 warrior and venom thrope and lasted 2 rounds at cc then were wiped. Id say they made there point back that they were worth. IMO chosen are great and always infiltrate them.

I have had some success with a rather expensive squad:

Chosen (8)

Icon Nurgle, Plasmagun (3), Missile Launcher

I have them infiltrate in cover 18 inches away to force the issue. In practice they survive small arms fire with the bonus toughness and survive heavy weapons due to cover, plus 4 bullet catchers. They start off raining death on walking infantry or transports.

More importantly, they later act as a summoning platform for my lesser daemons blob and my two Terminator squads. I have been VERY impressed with their production so far!

Good luck!

2. Distance; a Rhino can enter the game sideways, advance 12", pivot (gain 1"), then disembark the squad off the back ramp (and pop smoke launchers since you are exposing the back) adding 3" more. So you total gain another 10" to your melta/flamer/plasma gun range than if you walked on.

Don't think this is legal - isn't pivoting performed during the shooting phase?

If you're coming on from the board edge, how can any part of your rhino be more than 12" from said edge at the end of your movement phase?

When I move 12", I move 12", not 13".

Happy to discuss further in the rules forum if you like.

Cheers, Paul.

When I move 12", I move 12", not 13".

well that is not totaly true , the size of the transport/tank counts too.

and you can end your movment with a tank facing any side . so its perfectly legal.

I concur that it is legal.

It's a very old tournament trick that dates back forever...... it's kind of frowned upon in a lot of situations, but in some tournaments there is no sense of sportsmanship and you'll see this a lot. There is technically nothing preventing a person from using the Rhino/pivot tactic to gain more distance.

I used to run an Alpha Legion list that was inspired from some guy on the BnC who was doing an Ultra-ish looking theme for his Alpha (I wonder where that guy is? His army was looking awesome.) Anyway it can really work, but it can also be a big fail IMHO against fast, mech armies that are ready for it.

it gets a lot worse with armies like Dark Eldar who get morelike 2-3" off their pivot, and they dont even suffer the minus of showing off their bad armour (since they 10/10/10)

and I dont think its so terrible to flip your rhinos around for an extra inch; its not like lash-bliz; or the sanguinator attached to dante; or nob bikers

Edit-- PS:: Prot, the trick isnt too old, it only has come into existance since you could pivot for free. In the old editions, you had to waste movement to turn your vehicles

The main issue i have with chosen, is that they compete with termicide. I rarely take elites in my deathguard army, and the ones i would take are 2 termicide squads.

Though i am considering trying out some chosen at some point, im thinking the 3 melta 2 flamer in rhino outflanking set up looks nice and balanced for the "iron warrior/black legion/insert chapter name here" mostly undivided army i try out every now and again :P

That's my main issue with Chosen as well.

I always use my Elite slots + points for Termicide, as they have never been anything less than stellar in terms of performance.

I may go back to some flamer Chosen soon though, a friend recently switched to horde 'nids and there's just so many bodies on the table.

This has to be cheating in some manner. What I do is measure 12 inches and plomb my rhino down sideways then get out. I wouldn't let someone move 12 inches then spin around gain the length of the rhino, no way, no how. 12 inches is 12 inches the furthest pint of the model should move 12 inches.

your not moving more then 12". but you can end up a move with any facing you like . so depanding where the doors or weapons end up you gain or lose range . it has been like this since 2ed . as we said this is a very old thing.

It's a very old tournament trick that dates back forever...... it's kind of frowned upon in a lot of situations, but in some tournaments there is no sense of sportsmanship and you'll see this a lot. There is technically nothing preventing a person from using the Rhino/pivot tactic to gain more distance.

I used to run an Alpha Legion list that was inspired from some guy on the BnC who was doing an Ultra-ish looking theme for his Alpha (I wonder where that guy is? His army was looking awesome.) Anyway it can really work, but it can also be a big fail IMHO against fast, mech armies that are ready for it.

Do you mean this guy...?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...hl=Alpha+Legion

Some nice looking Alpha's he got.

That's my main issue with Chosen as well.

I always use my Elite slots + points for Termicide, as they have never been anything less than stellar in terms of performance.

I may go back to some flamer Chosen soon though, a friend recently switched to horde 'nids and there's just so many bodies on the table.

Right now, I'm trying a group of suicide termies along with the chosen, hoping it works out well. My friends and I like to play with lots of terrain, so the chance for a mishap is 2/3. If I can get my army ready for Monday I'll post here what happened.

Archived