Brevik's Lament

Brevik

OK, so I'm not entirely sure about the rules/standard practice - is a new thread for a new miniature OK (I've not painted any Lamenters before), or should I keep to one thread? Apologies if I've committed any sins (forum based that is, I'm buggered if I'll apologise for any non-forum related sins... ;) ).

Anyway, I've been practicing painting yellow, and painting battle damage. I've got to admit yellow was an absolute pain before foundations and washes, thank <insert appropriate/inappropriate deity name here> for progress...

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/brevikesq/WH40K/Lamenters/LamenterSergeant1.jpghttp://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/brevikesq/WH40K/Lamenters/LamenterSergeant2.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/brevikesq/WH40K/Lamenters/LamenterSergeant3.jpghttp://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/brevikesq/WH40K/Lamenters/LamenterSergeant4.jpg

The battle damage is my best attempt so far, but still not great - any pointers on how to do this better would be much appreciated.

Any comments and criticism welcome.

Regards,

B

great work, I love the old bolter...

As to the battle damages:

I recently read in an article about a technique that depth can be created by first painting a black line (or an appropriate darker color than the tone that should look scarred). Second, to create the "depth" they used a very very very very very (Oh my god I can't stress how) thin line of white on a side, just like:

||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The horizontal line representing - of course - white... It looked like there was a real "scar" made with a modelling knife...

If that's what you did I apologize, on the photos it looks like you used a light ochre tone... ;)

Great job, anyway!

P.S: Repenting earthly sins is boring... committing sins is much more fun ;)

Wow, beautiful painting mate, and I am very jealous of your skills when it comes to battle damage. I have the same sergeant, and will be painting him up in Lamenter colours too, though I am doubtful my efforts will match yours.

I have just stared at this picture, looking for something to criticise, but I have failed miserably. Can we expect more Lamenters from you, or is this a one off thing?

Looks like a bloood angel symbol on the chest and I don't think he looks like a blood angel. Sucsessor chapter maybe?

Great battle damage :D

Looks like a bloood angel symbol on the chest and I don't think he looks like a blood angel. Sucsessor chapter maybe?

Great battle damage :)

He's a Lamenter marine, they're a BA successor.

I've been looking all over for this model, by the way. Can't find hide nor hair of it, even on eBay!

Very cool I really like the yellow for it. As far as the battle damage I personally like to use a sponge (in my case bit of blister foam) to apply the first portion of battle damage. This adds some more randomness and also can add in a lot of fine little chips instead of all 'slashes'. I then go in with a brush and add in more damage, but find that initial randomness helps direct me so it doesn't look too artificial.

Thanks for all the comments guys. This is one of my favourite models too - I was tempted to give him a new style bolter, but it just didn't look right, so he's got an old style one. I haven't seen one like him for a long, long time, I was very lucky that a friend of mine gave him to me.

I've always liked the colour scheme of the Lamenters, and it was nice to paint something a little lighter than the dark stuff I usually do!

IronDuke - He may become part of a squad, I have two old style marines with shoulder mounted heavy bolters, plus a couple of other marine models that would match - they would make up a Devastator squad, looking like the remains of a full squad that's been through a beating or two. I'm not sure I would want to do a whole army of them though - the Chapter symbol is a little fiddly for a start...

...and although I finally feel like I've got yellow working (hurrah for foundation paints!), it's still not the most fun colour to paint in the world...

I'm sure yours will look good too mate, make sure you post pictures of him though!

Talyhadras - Yep, that's pretty much what I've tried to do, I've just mixed white and Iyanden Darksun together - thank you for the advice though, it might be worth using pure white, and combining that with GumbaFish's advice using both sponge and brush.

Again, thanks for the comments and advice guys, much appreciated.

Regards,

B

Archived