10 man Possessed Marine squad

minigun762

So lets put aside the fact that Possessed aren't a tier 1/2 unit.

IF you wanted to use a 10 man squad of them and do it competitively, whats the best way to do it?

My initial assumption is that shoving them in a Rhino and deploying them as aggressively as possible is the best bet. They aren't scoring so you shove them at your opponent and force him to deal with them. This would be one of the few cases I might consider using E. Armor, because you want them moving as much as possible.

Yeah, basically. They don't do anything but kill guys, so you just want to deliver them as quickly as possible. They don't have any upgrades, so there's no need to worry about what to give them, the only real question is whether to buy them a Raider, and I think the answer really has to be No, on that one. They're just not worth it.

They should really be very straight forward. Drive straight towards something, hop out, kill it, move on.

Against mechanized armies, it will be slightly more complicated, cause you'll probably want to wait until some enemies are out of their transports before you get out of yours. Of course, with S5, they do alright against vehicles with rear AV of 10, but, still, odds are good you'll want to hold them back for a meatier target.

Against mechanized armies, it will be slightly more complicated, cause you'll probably want to wait until some enemies are out of their transports before you get out of yours.

While it seems odd, what about leaving them with the rest of your CSMs and using them as a counter-assault unit?

Against almost any enemy assault unit, I'd prefer to throw Possessed at it to keep it busy and let my CSMs do their work.

What? Counter-assault in a Chaos Army? Everything in the army is more assaulty than the vast majority of stuff that the vast majority of other armies can bring, period.

If you mean that it should generally be near your other Chaos Marines, preparing to charge whatever the biggest threat to them in combat happens to be, sure. But only because they should generally be booking forward, looking to charge stuff, too.

If you mean that it should generally be near your other Chaos Marines, preparing to charge whatever the biggest threat to them in combat happens to be, sure. But only because they should generally be booking forward, looking to charge stuff, too.

Exactly my point. Its not like 10 CSMs with a Power Fist are a push over, but if that nasty Trygon is going to charge something, I'd prefer it charged Possessed. They'll last longer, stay in the fight and depending on what they roll, they might actually hurt the jerk. And my CSMs can go off to claim an objective or fry a tank with Melta.

not really because its not like suddenlly 50% of all armies are nids , the nid dex has a lot of bad match ups and build in flaws [dieing en mass when charging in to cover] . 10 man some sort of icon khorn/slanesh 1 for each 2 troop units and defilers in support . each combo group made up of possessed and defiler to the front and csm at the back , more or less the same way a zerker build works only with fewer scoring units.

I'm wondering if the large amount of power weapons nids can field might let possessed (especially IoT) pull ahead of zerks in effectiveness against them?

Well against anything that ignores your armor save, Possessed are better then Berzerkers (in that regard).

Every Berzerker that dies to a power weapon attack costs you 21 points

Every Possessed that dies to a power weapon attack costs you 17.3 points (1/3 chance to save factored in)

Every Tzeentch Possessed that dies to a power weapon attack costs you 15 point (+2 points for Icon in 10 man squad)

So any Possessed is a better tarpits against PW attacks then Berzerkers, but we knew that.

each combo group made up of possessed and defiler to the front and csm at the back , more or less the same way a zerker build works only with fewer scoring units.

Have you tried anything like that Jeske?

When I read "Full sized Possessed Marine squad" I thought "Oh, twenty?"... Then I read you meant 10.

Typical rhino, with combi-melta on the top for an attempt.

Though if you want to run them behind other vehicles that works too. Icons I prefer are khorne since +1 attack each is like adding a % of the unit per assault phase which is the only way they do damage is assault. Adding 1/3rd of their 'worth' on the charge, or 1/2 of their 'worth' while in standard melee is a pretty damn good deal.

Rules on the power weapon result:

Flavor test are not rules, and "power weapon" is the only 'wargear' possible to be had from the 6 roll results you obtain. The models start with a single close combat weapon. So, by RAW, they obtain a whole new power weapon in addition to everything else. So with two close combat weapons, they get +1 attack in addition to the ignoring armor saves. Five attacks per model on the charge with an icon of Khorne.

Saving grace if you look at it that way.

To be perfectly honest, IoT possessed that get that luck roll of FnP are one of the best tarpit units in the game. Try taking them off the table, core rules, none of the Apoc nonsense. I dare you. I double dare you. My ten-man IoT possessed locked down a nob biker squad for five rounds of close combat before killing them all and only loosing three models.

To be perfectly honest, IoT possessed that get that luck roll of FnP are one of the best tarpit units in the game. Try taking them off the table, core rules, none of the Apoc nonsense. I dare you. I double dare you. My ten-man IoT possessed locked down a nob biker squad for five rounds of close combat before killing them all and only loosing three models.

Yeah that's impressive.

Yeah that's impressive.

Well, it was lucky to get FnP, but IoT possessed have staying power and the strength to kill. The two abilities I find completely useless are scouts, because you have to roll after deployment; and fleet of foot, and that's just due to my force being completely mechanized.

yeah corpse I was thinking 20 too.....

Changed! ;)

In a counter-assault role, would you consider Possessed to be superior to Terminators? I can't help but think that counter-assault Terminators are only viable with an expensive Land Raider.

Archived