Mini-bases

Jangalak

Hi, I want to put some of my key characters on larger bases, but am worried that I could get these characters ruled out at tourneys/ local gaming events becasue they are not on the size of base they came with. For example, the Tigurius is larger overal than its base - the feet stick out, as do his robes and staff - they keep getting chipped as I am using them and I am sick of repainting these bits (am a little OCD about this I know!).

I love making new bases and want to put him on a terminator sized base (40mm) - would i be refused entry for this model to a tourney because he is not on a regulation base? What would be the reaction at a local event/GW Store - is there an etiquette to follow?

What if I put him on a 50mm base?

I have checked out the BRB and can see that it is ok as long as your opponent is cool with it - I am guessing tournament rules will require the original base?

Thanks for the help

How about simply basing the base with a large flat piece, ie a piece of slate or something that is larger than the base itself, but not too large - just enough for the feet to sit cleanly upon.

Personally I intend to base my Daemon Princes on 60mm's rather than the mid size base, and forgo putting them on a bit of large scenary. I'll make them unglued-but-pinned in case there's an issue playing them though,

You may only mount a model on a base that it came with according to the 5th edition rulebook. Tournaments are free to make up whatever rules they feel like so forum goers cannot give you an answer either way. An easy solution would be keep him mounted on a 25mm base and cut out a 25mm circle on a 40mm base.

Heres something I did with my old metal WG Terminators- theyre on 25mm rounds, because by russ thats what they came with.

But, as in your case, they do rub a bit, and some people are displeased to see older termies on smaller bases *shrugs* So I saved myself a headache and lightly glued down about a third of the base on a larger 40mm round. Now they dont rub, and I can choose to have them on a larger or smaller base- or if the TO makes a stink either way Im covered.

The new plastic ones don't they're 40mm as are imperial termies.

As has been said, models can be mounted on whatever bases they were purchased with, any bigger and might be best to get opponents permsion. For tourneys – best to seek the organisers view on this to save turning up with a model that can't be used.

i'm still of the opinion the argument "it came with a 25mm base" is a bit silly, its like saying that old models with weapon loadouts you can't use anymore should be allowed as "thats what they came wiht"

ultimately its alot fairer if you mount them on an appropriate base

in term of tig just put a 25mm on a 40mm :0

Just mount him on a larger base and if you ever get into trouble with it you can always claim that it was the base you got with the model or that you bought it used (without a base). They will probably never be able to prove that it wasn't. ^_^

As have been said they should have made a list of the acceptable/legal base sizes, but they didn't.

Just mount him on a larger base and if you ever get into trouble with it you can always claim that it was the base you got with the model or that you bought it used (without a base). They will probably never be able to prove that it wasn't. :)

Hmmm seems sleight of hand to me. But you winked so that's OK :P.

The rules in the BRB although yes aren't prescriptive on what base size must be used with what model – they nevertheless outline the basic premis of what's expected in base terms very clearly.

What you claim (or don't claim) your model came with is up to the individual, and as such is out of the scope of the +OR+ to discuss anyway.

Cheers

I

Page 3: in basic terms says what they come with is legal size, if you want bigger you ask permission from your opponent.

if its a tournament then unfortunately you have to play with whatever BS they make and however much of the rules they completely ignore

The asking permission for base size seems rather strange to me. You don't know who you will be playing against at a tourney, so how can you ask if he is okay with it, even if you already glued it in place.

Well in that instance you'd almost certainly need to ask the tournament organisers wouldn't you, who are the arbiters of whatever house rules etc they want to use. By entering the tourney you normally tactily agree to their decisions on such things.

...And if the organisers say no - then use another model with the, err, acceptable base.

Cheers

I

[edit spelling]

I know that with the offical workshop tournies you can e-mail pics to the events team for a ruling in advance, gives you plenty of time to rebase if you need to and you get a decision in writing if an opponent queries it. Most T-O's should be prepared to do this, it's hardly onerous.

From my point of view I wouldn't be bothered about bases 1 size smaller or larger, so Terminators on 50mm or 25mm is cool but any more change than that and I think you should question whether it's for modelling reasons or to get a perceived in-game advantage.

Archived