E_E's Dark Angels

ellis_esquire

HE goes away for most of a year then comes back and drops this bomb!!!

Too good E_E, far far too good. I was just starting to repaint mine and now I am both inspired and afraid.

Bloomin brilliant mate, damned shame to hear you didn't do well with that entry. I think where you went wrong is the judges have rocks in their heads :)

Welcome back and keep up the great work

s

Welcome back :)

Obviously, the model has an impressive level.

But since you ask for criticism...

I think the model has a couple "big" areas which give a feeling of rush/fast job.

I'm talking about the square on top of the motor, just before the book (which I love, btw).

Those diagonal "scratches" seem to be an above table top level detail, but seems a bit "thick" (when I use " its because I don't know better words in English...hope the idea gets across). Like when you do some heavy outline/highlight and then wash over it...because its just rank and file.

The plasma cannon OSL seems a quick airbrush job with some touch up with the brush. Maybe its because it has "large" regular areas, which give a bit the feeling of "flatness". Some watered down paint washing and re-picking up the raised areas of the coil might have prevented that.

In the general de blue glow feels a bit over the top.

Again, its a kick ass job, I'd count myself lucky to have such a model in my army and some details are simply mind boggling.

The book, the OSL of the sword on the dead tree... :lol:

Construction-wise, I don't quite understand why those crows come out of the floor...maybe coming out of the web way portal? :)

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Semper, Stobz, Beovulf and Shadow Guard - thanks for the gushing flattery - your not helping my ego you know B) Despite it still not making the cut B)

Still i really appreciate the praise - especially from you guys- particularly one or two of you who are at least as good as me in your own style if not better in your own!

Anyhow, special thanks to Tanhausen. everything you said seems right on point - its one of those things that I have looked so much at the damned thing, I just cant see the problems with it anymore but yes

- the scratches are too big yes - NMM is hard!

- the citadel spray gun is cra* and does look rushed - might be buying an airbrush this year

- The birds don't look like they make sense do they - it was a late edition and i was too afraid to really go for modelling more but was my first attempt at a scenic base so pretty happy with it.

Thanks for the tips Tanhausen - Anything less people want to add is great.

Next up will be a last picture of the entire force, before our rerelease and potentially restyling of my Dark Angels look and I'll call this thread closed!

Ahahahaha.... Oh man, I'm never painting my Sammael.

If you see all those glaring problems with it, I'll be glad to take this model off your hands :)

Can you explain a little bit how you got the almost obsidian coloring to the Angel behind Sammael and the bookmarker?

E_E, first off, I think it's a phenomenal piece of work and a great display piece, because I don't think I could bring myself to play with a work of art (even if the base is detachable).

Did have a question, are the little three vertical engine parts in front of his feet on each side independently glowing separate from the plasma cannon, or is the plasma cannon the only light source? I wonder if that's something the judges may have been questioning (and I can't really see the side of the bike to know for sure), which could have altered your standing. TBH, I can't believe it didn't make it further, you are a much braver man (or woman) than I to enter, but I know the quality mark for Golden Demon goes up so extreme that even little questions in the judges' minds seem to break entries down.

Great work E_E. It's way far above my my level of skill, I'm a digital artist more than a physical medium type guy.

As far as crits go though I would have to say three things stand out that held the piece back.

1. The OSL could be improved. Specifically the gradient and fall off. It's overly bright and defined.

2. The NMM is good but needs improvement. Compared to how smooth and seamless top entries are this stands out.

3. The scenic base is overall the biggest detractor. The individual elements are well done on it but the overall composition doesn't make sense. The birds seem to be coming out of nowhere for one. It seems like a stone base with bits of rubble on it which is fine but it has that random metal piece sticking up and the tree coming off the back. Plus it's got an odd melted effect which makes me go what exactly happened to cause this? On top of all that the scenic part doesn't look very well integrated into the plinth making it look like some strange free floating rock outcropping.

Overall the piece is way above average and individual components on it look awesome. Next time just work on making sure everything is integrated to a higher degree and I'm sure you'll go much higher in the competition. Really appreciate you sharing this with us though, it's not often we get to see DA work of this high quality.

Ah Droma, Bryan - I knew I could rely on good olde B&Ch brotherhood for the critique! I posted the same request on another site and had virtually no feedback. This is the good stuff so thanks so much.

Byran - your totally right in thinking that the OSL is not very accurate - I got the citadel spray gun this year and to say its uncontrollable is something of an understatement. This added to doing OSL on NMM, doesn't really work, its been a great learning curve. Don't overdo the OSL. _ oh yeah and i am a bloke lol

Droma. Awesome crits man. i really appreciate point three the most. I wasn't quite sure if my base was great or average and you've nailed what was nagging at me. Your point about integration of a model is a great gift of learning so genuinely thank you! It is something i still learning, having only got into basing from the VanSan days if any of you recall.

And indeed I will keep sharing - that's a big part of what this hobby is all about no?

Droma. Awesome crits man. i really appreciate point three the most. I wasn't quite sure if my base was great or average and you've nailed what was nagging at me. Your point about integration of a model is a great gift of learning so genuinely thank you! It is something i still learning, having only got into basing from the VanSan days if any of you recall.

No problem. Presentation and composition are something my teachers heavily critiqued me on so it's just always something I look at now lol. Good presentation can make a good piece into a standout piece. It's like the difference between a good looking car and a good looking car with a hot model on the hood. People enjoy looking at one more than the other.

• 1 month later...

Hi all - and thanks again Droma well to see out the 5th edition army ive made a lil vid with the whole army pictured for our collective enjoyment. Something of a mark of how we looked before the new codex and units are out!

Not sure how to enbed this...

Anyhow enjoy.

www.youtube.com/embed/UNnxSOu1lXo"

EE

That Sammael model... wow.. I scrolled past it fairly quickly and then stopped and involuntarily said "Holy ****!" out loud before scrolling back up.

Monstrous round of applause to you. Best thing I've seen in a while. I love the balance and flow of the model. The little details are incredible.

Great to see you are still into the DA chapter :)

Your painting skills improved a lot and i am still asking myself why you wanted me to paint minis for you, hehe.

The Master of the RW is phantastic but i think most of the criticism is correct (about NMM and OSL). But for a gaming army the standard is really perfect.

Looking forward to see your try on the new models :)

Archived