1500-2000 PM WIP

Cyrl

Hi folks,

As I've mentioned in a couple of other posts I'm a returning player with a few 1000pts of Chaos models, despite collecting for a number of years I've never completed an army - come to think of it I've never finished a single model, not painted anyway. Taking a leaf out of the book of alot of the forum-goers here I've decided to start a WIP project to help motivate myself and to get some C+C on the models.

As it stands the army consists of:

Deamon Prince (WHFB Be'Lakor model)

5x Classic Metal Termi's*

7xPM, Plasma, Champ, PF

7xPM, Plasma, Champ, PF, Rhino*

7xPM, Melta, Champ, PF, Rhino*

Defilerfex (Defiler and Carnifex mashup)

Predator

Dreadnought

~20 Lesser Deamons (WHFB Zombies)*

~7 CSM/classic PM's*

Typhus

The Reaper (PM with Scythe and Plague Sword)

* - Almost eniterly unconverted and in need of alot of Grand Father Nurgle's TLC.

There's alot that need to be done to get the army to a playable state but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Quick outline of what I intend to do is below:

Assemble 2nd Rhino

On the Termi's: combi-bolters/-flamers to combi-meltas, add 6th, split into 2x3 Termicides

Swap Missile Launcher for DCCW on Dreadnought (GS + Nid parts)

Nurglify both Rhino's (Wear + Tear, GS, conversions)

Nurglify Termi's (Mostly GS and piping)

Nuglify Be'Lakor

Finish Predator

Finish Defiler

40k-fiy Zombies

Dismantle and reassemble spare CSM as PM's

Paint!

First off I want to get the force playable which means the first 3 steps are pretty important, I've already had a couple of games and I can see these being important changes/additions.

The rest of the tasks are to finish off the modelling before I paint the lot of them, I've done alot of work on the Defiler, Predator and Dreadnought and a little GS (more accurately, milliputt) will see them completed.

The termi's could do with some gas masks, bloated stomachs, "piping", general boils and buboes - the usual nurgle stuff :P The only problem is these are all metal so it'll be a case of defiling/covering up all those Eyes of Horus.

The PM squads are generally OK, I'm wondering if I could do some work on them to make them more individual but again they're nearly all metal figures :D

Both of the Rhino's are still essentially Loyalist models, one is yet to be assembled and the other has had all of the spikey bits removed from it's previous role as a Spiky-Death-Machine of Khorne.

The Zombies are still largely WHFB looking, I had intended to use them as Mutants for LatD but that list got nerfed by GW, they'll now be deamons clawing out of unholy earth.

Be'Lakor already has a few boils and a brand of nurgle on his chest but he's still far too much the stock model I bought - time for some TLC.

Lastly I've got a couple of spare CSM lay about - horrendous conversions my little brother did years ago, classic PM's etc. They'll be "conscripted" to the cause and GS'ed etc.

I'll post some pictures tonight if I get a chance before going to Vet's Night at my local store, if not they'll be up tomorrow, hopefully along with the 2nd Rhino :D

Ok, here's the couple of photos I managed to grab before the camera's battery ran out.

First up Typhus, unfortunately he's the only infantry model I got a snap of and he's slightly different from the majority of the models I've already began painting, thicker paint and quite abit lighter. You can see small portions of the green I've used on alot of the PM's on his hands and the scythe, the image is also blurred but as I said the camera died on me so I couldn't reshoot the pics:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/DSCN0956.jpg

Next, the Predator. As you can see the turret is still not attached to the main body, I'm thinking GS tentacles holding it down or something less deamonic perhaps. The right HB sponson also fell off just as I was about to take the shot, those things really need pinning.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/DSCN0958.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/DSCN0959.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/DSCN0960.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/DSCN0961.jpg

Lastly the Defilerfex - the top section of the Defiler has been moved to the front of the model and covered with Carnifex body sections, crushing claws replace the front pincers and scything talons form the legs of the beast. I've done alot of work on this model although it's a long way from finished. The top inparticular needs alot of GS and the read is still to small for my liking, I'm thinking toxic barrels connected to the front via tentacle tubing.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/DSCN0964.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/DSCN0965.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/DSCN0966.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/DSCN0967.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/DSCN0968.jpg

Comments anyone? :D

Looking forward to seeing your converted Be'Lakor model - love that piece.

Are you planning to run dual Plasma's and Melta's in your PM squads, or running a single one in each ? If a single, you may wish to find another for each squad.

I'm running 2 of each in the squads, should probably have made that clearer.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with Be'Lakor, I could do the predictable and give him a a bloated stomach but it's pretty cliché and wouldn't really suit the model. I might bulk up his chest and ribs to make his stomach seem waisted in comparisson. I really like his pose and as a metal figure I think it'll have to stay as-is, same for the wings though I may be able to drill a few holes as the thin skin rots and is torn in battle, GS some peeling flaps abount the hole. I'm not sure if I've seen it before, but I could create a scythe to replace the sword, however the sword works with the model really well, not too sure about that.

What do you guys think of this colour scheme? I already have a few models started in Bleached bone over a Snot Green and Brown ink, I couldn't get the green tinge I wanted to the brown. I won't actually fade the armour - far too much work, but I will be "dirtying up" the extremeties, afterall they're PM's what do you think their quarters look like? I'm intending to go for a diseased look to the skin, naturally, I may aim somewhere between corpse-blue/white/purple and "flamer-tan" brown, perhaps more simply a mix of both. I'll throw green growths and boils in to balance out the colour palette and get the unholy 3 in (Nurlge's favourite number for those that don't know).

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/csmphp.jpg

I quite like how it's come out although I'm not sure how the brass and iron would look side by side - they'd definetly both need a good wash/ink, some green/brown ink I think. I'm also tempted to go for a halved colour scheme as shown below, I've never done one of these and as many of the marines have fleshy stomachs etc it would removed some of the challenge of keeping the scheme rigidly identical. This is a little more complx than i had invisaged, and going by my earlier explanation of how their armour was dirtied these guys must have some peculiar methods of walking....

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/Nurgle02php.jpg

The upper left side of the backpack would of course be identical to the right, the "halved" colour setting seems to overide that option unfortunately.

Ok so a quick update, unfortunately there's no pics.

I've assembled the second rhino but left it as basic as possible - no spikey bits, battle damage or the like. I'm planning on ordering a couple of assemble Rhino's from eBay and using these for my Nurlge army. My two current ones (which are in a good clean condition) will be used in my Undivided force which isn't into tentacles and melted armour - more reinforced armour and custom weaponry.

I've also began work on the terminators. Ive drilled out one of the barrels from each of the combi-bolters (removing the flamer nozzle in one case) and replaced it with a 6mm length of styrene rod, this is exactly the diameter of the inner section of a melta (rougly 4mm), I'll GS the outer section when I pick up a sculpting tool this weekend.

For the Autocannon armed Termi I've had to create an arm and combi-Melta. I've used a Termi shoulder pad from the BT upgrade sprue and an arm from a very old (possibly not even GW) termi which whilst alot shorter than a normal arm can be positioned within the shoulder pad to artificially lengthen it. I then took a current bolter and an old bolter from the 90's adorned with skulls on the outside, using a scalpel I shaved off the inside of each bolter to reduce the thickness of the finished gun and glue them together. The outer right ('90s) bolter has had the barrel removed and replaced by a length of rod. Next I chopped off the magazine and affixed an old power Axe beneath the Melta section, this lengthens the gun and brings it in line with the rest of the squad.

I've also orderd a 6th Termi body from eBay, I'm still stumped as to how I'll replace the Power Fists two of the models currently have (need to be PW's) or what I'll use for either arm of the 6th Termi - ideas anyone? I may go ahead and order a box of loyalist Termi's which i'll be using for my Undivided force and raid it for bits, then again I'm still undecided if I want Loyalist or Traitor Termi's for these so I don't want to commit to that just yet.

I'm thinking of picking up a cheap (>£100) Digital camera too for my mini photo's, can anyone make any recommendations? Most of the reviews I can dig up are either crappy customer reviews or don't focus on the close-up quality of the cameras. I did find a helpful guide to shooting miniature photos which recommended a tripod, high F and ISO factors and of course a minimal length Marco mode, I'd aim for 5+ megapixels ideally.

I hope to have some photos up by weekend too.

"Lastly the Defilerfex"

WOW this thing looks brilliant and I would never have thought of that!

I have a Defiler myself sitting on the shelf half converted, and Im affraid to say Im going to borrow this idea as its just so god damn cool!

Heh, thanksmuchly. :D I decided that if I'm going to get a Defiler I'm going to make one I actually like - the stock model is way too upright and it's a pain to sneak one of those behind cover (not that this is much smaller), I actually didn't have a clue what I was going to get when I walked into the store and 5 minutes later I walked out with the 'Fex and Defiler kits. The same rule applies for assembly, I made the lower body and then held some bits in place til I came up with a few ideas.

If you're going to make something similar there's a few tips:

Watch the 'Fex carapace sections - they can easily obstruct the front mounts for the legs.

Don't use Scything Talons for the front claws - you'll end up with a very high front section

Mock it up with blue tack first, I had a few headaches repositioning carapace sections to fit in with the rest or sit symetrically.

Keep the leg joints clean and free of glue - it's difficult to find a box this can stand in, plus you get to repose it.

Keep all of the bits, the 'Fex comes with tons of extras and I've found them really useful across the army ('Nid Warrior-Dread for example)

Enjoy - it's expensive by the time you've bought both kits so why not right?

I think I will eventually trim down the talons and sit it on a Trygon base, model it as if the talons have sunk into the grond some

[wall of text]

Time for an update, I did attempt to do this last night and spent a good while hammering away at the keyboard only to hit backspace and lose the whole post, so for todays attempt I'm writing this up in MS Word :tu:

Overall progress:

Assemble 2nd Rhino – Completed + 3rd in the post

On the Termi's: combi-bolters/-flamers to combi-meltas, add 6th, split into 2x3 Termicides

Swap Missile Launcher for DCCW on Dreadnought (GS + Nid parts) – WIP, see below

Nurglify all Rhino's (Wear + Tear, GS, conversions)

Nurglify Termi's (Mostly GS and piping)

Nuglify Be'Lakor

Finish Predator

Finish Defiler

40k-fiy Zombies

Dismantle and reassemble spare CSM as PM's

Paint!

First off I’ve assembled a second Rhino, I’ve spared you all pictures as I’m sure you’ve all seen bare Rhino hulls before. I left the side doors off of this one for now and have very sparingly glued on the top hatch, I might go for the “tentacles bursting from the insides” look for this one but I’m not sure yet – it may be a little too cartoony.

Before I carry on I may as well mention the camera situation, the pictures below are pretty inconsistent as some are with flash and some using a lava lamp (lava removed ofc) – I’ve just gone for whichever version had the sharpest image as there’s little difference between the two light sources. I’ve used my camera phone for the shots below, I’ve bought a desk lamp and I’m currently looking for a suitable box to make a small “studio” from; I’m also browsing eBay for a new camera and I’m currently looking for a Canon IXUS 100 at around £80. If anyone has any other suggestions at that price point that’d be really handy, maybe even a link to a photo of a mini taken with the camera too.

Now on to the Termi’s. I’ve got all 5 models wielding Combi-Meltas now, to do this I drilled out one barrel of each Combi-bolter (snipped off the flamer barrel of the Combi-flamer) and replaced it with a 4mm diameter 6mm long styrene rod – exactly the same dimensions as the internal section of a Melta’s heat shield/barrel. I’ll go back and all a thin layer of GS to form the 2nd section of barrel complete with heat vents and possibly a few deamonic mouths around the barrels. Photos:

Group:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/31012010081.jpg

A nice group shot showing off all 5 guns and a couple of head swaps, the one on the far right is from the CSM Muations sprue and the other is the Champion’s head from the old WHFB Chaos Warriors set iirc – I replaced the tusked heads as they don’t go well with two very static arms.

There’s still 2 Power Fists in the squad which need to be replaced with PW’s; I have plenty of replacement weapons but no arms, short of buying some more from eBay I’m not sure what I can do. I do have a set of the plastic CSM Termi’s coming for a 2nd army but I think I’ll be using all of the arms from that, perhaps there will be a few to slove that dilemma. On a similar note I have no arms available for the 6th Termi torso that I’ve ordered, on reflection I should have had more patience and bid on a few different items.

Solo kitbash Side:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/31012010082.jpg

When it came to replacing the Reaper Autocannon I had to get a little more inventive, I didn’t want to cut down the arm as I really like it and have plans to use it elsewhere. I took the arm of a very old Termi (I’m not even entirely sure it’s a GW mini) and tried it out for size, unfortunately the donor model is much more hunchbacked and as a consequence has short stubby arms. I drilled a new hole in the arm off-centre and above the original mounting hole, stuck on some superglue and left it to set. Next I took 2 bolters, one from a ‘80/90’s kit and another modern one and cut away the inner surface of each bolter along with the older bolter’s magazine and glued them together. I swapped out a bolter barrel for a Melta and chopped up an old SM Serg’s Power Axe and glued it onto the underside of the gun. I’m tempted to add a 2nd bolter chainfeed to this one though I’m not sure it’s necessary, likewise would it be worth making small Melta canisters for each of the combi-meltas? Finally I stuck a Termi shoulder pad from the BT Upgrade sprue over the top of the smaller arm to cover up the stumpy limb and add some bulk, I’ll either remove and replace or defile the BT icon later on, ironic purity seals anyone?

Solo kitbash front:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/31012010084.jpg

Comparisson kitbash 1:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/31012010087.jpg

Here I’ve compared my kitbash Combi-Melta to the squads only original Combi-Melta, the overall size and width are about right however the combi-bolter itself is longer on my version though not noticeably so on the tabletop.

Comparisson kitbash 2:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/31012010088.jpg

You can probably see how shocking the PF on my kitbash is from this angle, it’s again from an older kit and doesn’t really suit the new torso’s, it’ll be replaced shortly so it doesn’t bother me overly much.

Now for the Dread. I had a small hiccup making this model involving my finger and a scalpel but it’s sorted now and I’m happy with the direction the model has taken. Unfortunately the original legs are well and truly fused to the base and I’ve no way of safely removing them so I’ve scrapped the dread base and used my spare ‘Fex base instead.

Front:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/31012010069.jpg

For those without omniscience the face plate is actually a WHFB Chaos Warrior shield, I dropped some poly cement into the grooves and after leaving it for 5-10 minutes ran a small hard object along the grooves “melting” them and making them deeper. There’s also some ‘Nid spike bursting from the armoured shell and a small (badly done) milliputt tentacle which replaces an optical unit at the base of the torso.

The legs are from my ‘Fex kit, I wanted to make a more dynamic Dread for once rather than the very static “firebase” look they have with the standard legs. These have 3 pins apiece and are slathered in superglue, I’ll GS over the unsightly gap and use some guitar wire to create tech/organic feeds between the legs and pelvis. Before some smart arse points it out, no that’s not a penis it’s just the original power cables I managed to save when cutting through the legs.

Left Side:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/31012010072.jpg

Even I’m not sure if this will be a Plasma Cannon or Reaper Autocannon (TL-AC), I used to favour Plasma cannons but I’m not fan of the new blast rules – the dice don’t like me on these. I’ve trimmed off the DCCW and added on two namelss ‘Nid guns along with a Warrior’s arm which presumably serves the role of ammo feed with it’s numerous tubes. The rounded end of the arm (at the front) needs flattening and I’ll paint on an eye.

Rear:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/31012010071.jpg

Not much to say here – I just have to replace the standard Chaos tank chain which sat either side of the shield/drum (WHFB Zombies) but was removed when cutting the legs. For the observant out there you might notice the dread has no right side to it’s torso, in my wisdom a few years ago I neglected this for some reason, I cut a few lengths of sprue to size, glued them in place internally and affixed the inside of a spare dread shoulder.

As the legs add 8-10mm to the height of the model I decided to bulk up the shoulders some, I used a trimmed down Rhino turret for the job with the last shoulder (TL-LC) and repeated this for the new DCCW (right shoulder). It’s fitting and just the right width.

Right Side:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/31012010070.jpg

I’m not sure if I’ve quite sold myself on this one yet, it’s an Assault Cannon shoulder minus said weapon and with various bits attached (spare DCCW, Warrior arm, gaunt arm, adrenal/toxin sack) via blue-tack. I may cut the larger arm in half and re position the back half a few mm rearward so that it’s less angular and looks to be more extended. The gaunt arm might be dropped in favour of a GS screaming face – just something to break up the flat surface of the shoulder. The DCCW weapon needs the, already abused, “fingers” removing and replacing with various ‘Nid spikes or fossilised shark teeth, I’ll also add a warrior’s jaw to the centre, possibly an extended retractable one – Alien style.

Top:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/Jal_Nish_Hlar/40k/31012010073.jpg

Finally, the top. I’ve added two Dread ML’s to the top of the torso and filled in the resultant deep gap with a Warrior’s carapace crest and some milliputt, these were originally meant to be Havoc launchers but have since become just for show.

I had an idea for my Be'Lakor model - remove the tail and replace it with the long whip like appendage from the 'Fex kit, I think this arm goes with the Venom Cannon but I'm unsure. There's 2 problems with this however - 1) how to connect it to the body, pins + superglue obviously but it would be quite dissimilar from the rest and 2) it's too long and would be below the level of the base - any tips on bending plastic, hot water?

[/wall of text]

Archived