Why you play Word Bearers

LorgarXVII17

Greetings, fellow Word Bearers.

Before joining this site I had no idea there were so many Word Bearers players. I assumed most Chaos players used the Black Legion and occassionally their own made up warband or something along those lines. It brings me pride (being Lorgar and all) to know there are still some of you out there who see the true faith.

So, my question(s) are why do you play Word Bearers? What made you choose them? Why them over the other Chaos legions?

The reason I chose the Word Bearers are many.

1. They were the first army I beat the campaign with in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and Elpihas the Inheritor's badassery made me interested in them.

2. The Anthony Reynolds Dark Apostle series really gave a good idea about how the Legion functions and I liked the fact that they did not allow themselves to be narrow-minded in their beliefs in regards to the Gods of Chaos.

3. The fact that they are the most organized of all of the Chaos Legions and haven't split up into hundreds of smaller Warbands.

4. They started the turned the Warmaster to Chaos and were the first to see the truth that the Emperor's divinity is a lie!

The reason I chose the Word Bearers are many.

1. They were the first army I beat the campaign with in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and Elpihas the Inheritor's badassery made me interested in them.

2. The Anthony Reynolds Dark Apostle series really gave a good idea about how the Legion functions and I liked the fact that they did not allow themselves to be narrow-minded in their beliefs in regards to the Gods of Chaos.

3. The fact that they are the most organized of all of the Chaos Legions and haven't split up into hundreds of smaller Warbands.

4. They started the turned the Warmaster to Chaos and were the first to see the truth that the Emperor's divinity is a lie!

See Above.

Also just to show the Imperials they arent the only religious fanatics.

ALL WILL SEE THE GLORY OF CHAOS!

Personally I think Chaos is the only hope for humanity at this point, with all the threat humanity has, espically the nigh unlimited ones such as Nids and Necrons, its only gonna be the power of chaos and the unlimited armies of Daemons that will give humanity a chance.

Dark Apostle - Dark Disciple

They're undivided.

I didn't have to buy a bunch of siege tanks or obliterators

Huge terminator formations

Cool chapter symbol

No operational limitations like AL, NL, or IW.

Personally, I love them as in the dark future of the 41st millenium, they might actually be in the right. Chaos as twisted and corrupting as it is might be the only way that humanity can survive and even prosper in the face of all that is stacked against it.

Like, when the Emperor told them to not spend their time constructing massive temples in his honour on the worlds they conquered and forcing the population to worship him? :D

And how futile did that turn out to be? For some one who expressly tried to stamp out religious belief, the Emperor has failed hard. Oh and the Imperium today clings far tighter to the Word Bearer's original vision than that of the shriveled corpse on the Golden Throne.

I've always liked the Word Bearers. I knew I wanted an army of them back when I just started 40k and didn't have a single model, just a bunch of ideas. I was conflicted for a little between them and the Alpha Legion because I like being sneaky, but the Word Bearers won out.

I like them for their faith. There's just something about the fact that they have absolute faith in Lorgar and Chaos. Not only that, they can actually back their faith up.

Not only that, but we're the reason the Horus Heresy happened, and the Heresy is basically the reason the galaxy is the way it is. So yeah, we basically ruined everything. :P

I do not play them but I know plenty of reasons why they are popular.

-They have a redundancy to negate imperial faith. In short, they can counter-argue the imperials in ways I prefer.

-They see the benevolence of being chaotic, and mundane to the natural order of things rather stick to morals that are ever changing and imperfect, that have existed only as long as people found them 'convenient'.

-Word Bearers are more civil to those who follow their cause then the other legions would be.

-Their capability to worship the pantheon as a way of "nature" in a sense fits to pagan beliefs in more naturalism that meets a good criteria of untouched lore and adversity that most of 40k lacks.

Just a few things I thought I would note.

I have always loved the fanatical nature of the Word Bearers.

Plus the whole using demon engines and demons to get the job done has always seemed more... chaotic. I know other Legions use them but with

how often the Word Bearers do, they are pretty much a standard.

Grim

I believe it was a short story, that I sadly can't remember where I read.

It described a Word Bearer force giving the enemies a chance to give up and embrace the Gods of Chaos before they killed them off. If anyone has a clue to where it could be found I'd be grateful.

WOW i have so many reasons why i play word bearers!!

1.I have always liked the look of red chaos models! i.e khorne paint schemes. However i never liked the idea of playing a khorne army.(KHORNE WAS A PULL STRING ARMY AS I SEE THEM) i.e. remember world eater daemon bomb armies?

2. Not on purpose mind you. but every army i own happens to be painted red. SAM HEIMN, vampire counts(RED CLOTHING). Blood Angels, word bearers. so i can help you with painting red if you need me to! (also i agree red is a paint to paint key is to add just the right amount of water to your palette.

3. And yes i have read dark apostle and dark disciple.

4. i have always liked the look of space marine chaplains and i find myself wanting to play with them but never get to. because i chose other HQ's over them. so with WB i can all the time.

5. i liked the fact that gw used black legion as there main army and because black legion are an undivided army all the other god aligned units can still be painted their correct colors. and being that word bearers are undivided. i could do the same.

6. word bearers use daemons and i wanted at least one unit of daemons because i feel there underrated.

7. W.B. use daemon engines so i have a soul grinder for use as a defiler.

8. i use the large space marine command banners in my units of actual word bearers. i then have small magnets to hold an icon symbol to represent which mark that unit may have.

9. the codex was written as an undivided army list.

i could go on and on so ill stop myself. many of the reasons i chose to play word bearers stem for how my army will look. and in some ways models i wanted to fit in my army. however i do love there fluff.

i would love to post some pictures of my army and maybe even do some tutorials about how i paint my army but if any of you would like to see at least two of my models you can view them in the golden bolter painting comp. as they are the only word bearers entered.

i can say i might not paint the best but i think i got it down pretty good.

sorry was so long winded i just wanted to share my thoughts and maybe even spread some ideas to other chaos players.

p.s. the chaos codex gets no love but i will argue any day that right now its got to be one of the best marine dex right now. i also wanted to add. i don't use plague marines and whips to win games.

While I can't commit to playing WB right now, I will say that the one thing that keeps me coming back is that they are a dark reflection of the Imperials.

Organized, utterly dedicated, ruthless in their pursuit and completely sure in their Faith, they are the ultimate crusaders with a zeal matched only by the Black Templars or Sisters.

I have recently started a small Wordbearers force ( just 500 points ) because i like their dirty-red colooursheme as well as their fanatical nature.

They are basicaly anti ultramarines, less frothing mad than perhaps Khorne Berserkers but still chaotic.

Archived