Fire support dreads

Quantus

Being a mechwarrior fan before I found the blessed light of the imperium, I look at a dreadnought and see a massive potential for purely style conversions. I have never run shooty dreads, in honesty I've never fielded them much at all, so I have no idea what weapon loadout works well. At the moment I am planning to put missile racks on the shoulders, twin autocannon on one arm, twin LC on the other arm. My marines (the Raging Panthers) call this a madcat pattern dreadnought. (intentional joke, mechwarrior fans can hurt me later)

I never plan on taking this to a tournament so i can simply declare which two weapon systems I'm using. My question is: Are those the weapons I want to have available? I want to be able to cover the common shooty configs for a dread, be codex legal, and have something i can make look good for my conversion.

So for those of you that run fire support dreads, what do you prefer to run?

twin assault cannon. DENIED

Missile racks on shoulder. You may have one hunter killer missile but otherwise DENIED

twin lascannon. :P yup you can have that. Bear in midn if you take one shooty weapon arm you may only have a DCCW, twin linked autocannon or missile launcher on the other arm

twin assault cannon. DENIED

Missile racks on shoulder. You may have one hunter killer missile but otherwise DENIED

twin lascannon. :) yup you can have that. Bear in midn if you take one shooty weapon arm you may only have a DCCW, twin linked autocannon or missile launcher on the other arm

I edited my initial post to clarify. When i used AC i meant autocannon, that was my error.

The racks of missiles will represent a missile launcher on one of the arms. The idea is i will have one model to represent the following configurations:

missile + twin LC

missile + twin autocannon

twin autocannon + twin LC

My question is, is that what I want my options to be?

Personally, I prefer the "Rifleman" 2x Twin Autocannon dreadnought for fire support. Cheap, accurate, and puts out quite a bit of firepower. Great for transport and light infantry shredding.

The other version that I like is a Venerable with Twin Lascannon and a Missile Launcher. Tough to kill, accurate, and good against medium to heavy vehicles and MCs. To convert this one, I would consider putting one Lascannon on each arm (and explaining that it is twin-linked and only counts as one weapon) and getting a set of the Land Speeder missile launchers and putting these on the shoulders (and again explaining that it only counts as one weapon). Mad Cat anyone?

I personally think that if you are going to take a TL Autocannon, it is better to take 2 instead of mixing and matching with Las and Missile. The latter two tend to go together well.

To convert this one, I would consider putting one Lascannon on each arm (and explaining that it is twin-linked and only counts as one weapon) and getting a set of the Land Speeder missile launchers and putting these on the shoulders (and again explaining that it only counts as one weapon). Mad Cat anyone?

Now that I may have to try for. That's the look I'm wanting and the loadout I was leaning toward.

Oh yes, the old Dreads. A friend of mine's Marine army is made up entirely of the older models (all Beakies, has a Mk 1 LR and a hue amount of Mk 1 Rhinos) and he has a couple of those. I personally think they are a bit small, especially considering that a 'Mech should be about the size of a scout Titan.

Now that I may have to try for. That's the look I'm wanting and the loadout I was leaning toward.

Glad I could help!

Seconded on the 2x TL Autocannons. A walker with 4 TL autocannon shots every turn is pretty nice. Especially when you run 3 of them.

As for converting them, the Aegis Defense Line kit has a quad autocannon, and each half (each TL Autocannon) is a perfect size for a dread. The price isn't too outrageous, and you get some pretty portable terrain out of the deal.

Another version that I think has potential is Missile/Plasma Cannon.

Unlike the RifleDread which is focused on killing transports/walkers at range, this combo is geared mostly to put wounds on infantry and MCs at range.

For light stuff, you have 2 blasts, for heavy infantry or MCs you have blast/kraks. If you have to it can also threaten light armor but thats only as a backup.

Considering that the "Rifleman" dread is nicknamed after an inner-sphere Mech, it's a good place to start. THe Typhoons and Lascannons make a great Mad Cat, as the lascannons could either be PPCs or Gauss Cannons. You could swap LCs to an Assault Cannon or T/L Heavy Bolter is you want more anti infantry.

A big problem with converting Dreads into mechs is that smaller mechs have jump jets, which doesn't translate well. Miniaturizing a smaller mech is a good comprimise. Also, if you miniaturize an Atlas, you will be a great man.

Archived