Rules Clarification: Combat Squads

Beans187

I have a question, what is the point of the combat squads special rule? I have yet to see one aside from the idea that maybe I could take a tactical squad of ten space marines give them two heavy weapons (a flamer, and a multi-melta in my case) and then split them into two groups of five, but my question is do they lose these weapons then? I was unsure, thanks for responding.

Beans187

The Black Vanguard 1st Company

I have a question, what is the point of the combat squads special rule?

Flexibility. For kill point missions you will want to keep the squad as one. However, if you end up playing with objectives, then you can Combat Squad and *poof* you suddenly have twice as many scoring units (and twice as many targets for your opponent to deal with).

EDIT: I keep forgetting that CS applies to all 10-man squads, not just Tacticals. The advice above (usually) only applies to Troop squads.

I have not really used it on tactical squads yet, and I would not divide an Assault squad anyways (unless perhaps I was going against Tau), but I have combat squadded a squad of Devastators into two, one combat squad containing two plasma cannons and the other one two missile launchers. That way I was able to split the squads anti vehicle and anti infantry firepower.

Welcome to the forum my friend!

Personally I think CS is the best thing to happen to SM ever, since it gives you a whole new level of tactical possibilities. I use it a lot with my drop pods, drop a tac squad, the heavy weapons stays to set up his weapon, while the spec weapon can fire at the closest enemy, or run towards them.

Scouts, 5 guys with a heavy bolter in the back and a serg with four merry men in the front.

A full bike squad, attackbike runnin round chasing tanks with his MM, the rest hitting troops.

The list just goes on and on with pretty much anything that can split.

The thing to remember though is that if splitt they will yield 2 killpoints if destroyed, the only drawback.

Happy ork-slaughtering brother!

That way I was able to split the squads anti vehicle and anti infantry firepower.

Either I'm misreading the quoted post, and there's no mention of the other 5 members of the devastator squad... Or what Legatus did wasn't legal, because there has to be 10 members of a squad before you can break them into combat squads.

I think he's talking about a full 10, but only mentioning the 4 heavy weapons as they're the only ones relevant.

Keep in mind that the sergeant can gve BS 5! So remember to mark where you put him, having 3 HB or PC n one and a single las + serg in the other is one way to go, good solid anti-inf and a sniper lascannon.

Perhaps I did not explain it well enough. I did split a full 10 men Devastator squad into two combat squads. One of the combat squads had two plasma cannons and was targeting CSM squads, while the other had two missile Launchers and was mainly targeting vehicles.

Archived