a question plz

brothers i am in the process of building a city battle map..

while I played my brother some thing came up..

let me show..

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff123/emphand1/DSC00310.jpg

here you can see some wolfs with their back to another building, with some dark angels on the other side, with their backs exposed to them

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff123/emphand1/DSC00315.jpg

now the question I have for you is do those wolfs get a covering save?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff123/emphand1/DSC00316.jpg

and if the wolfs returned fire the DA would get cover...

I know its the way the buildings are placed, but just if any one could explain to me why/what/where etc..

it was said to me to mount them on bases, that way there is always a cover roll.

I'll ask and post this in the DA forum just to see how the GW rules work.

thx for all responces..

Personally I'd say the SW don't get cover, but the DA do. This is due to the cover rules of walls. The BRB basically states that if you are against a wall, you can shoot over it without giving your opponent a cover save, while maintaining your own cover at the same time. However if you hit them from behind, the wall wouldn't give them any cover.

Im sure Brother Tyler didnt take any- its just this is a general rules question, not a DA specific one ;).

That being said, the wolves get shot and all the DA on the same level have clear line of sight to them- so no cover save is granted. The wolves returning fire have to contend with the parts of the wall the DA are partially concealed by, and thus the DA will get a cover save.

Note that the base they are on doesnt affect this in any way, and from the picture all your bases are standard legal bases.

what if I use this GM

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff123/emphand1/DSC00317.jpg

I've built my own battle table, and what I want to do is simply mount my buildings for easier handling.

I posted this in the SW form just to get a standard ruling, I will mount the other buildings on A4 ring bases, as they are strong and sturdy.

I play against my brother and his angels regular as he is teaching me things, but he also said ask others for their input.

What you are asking about is the difference between "area terrain" and "as is"/"true los" terrain.

In the first example, the reason your brother is talking about basing the terrain is because of that. Without bases, it is easiest to classify the buildings as true los terrain, meaning that (like everyone else has said) you get cover as you see it from the models. The DA would get saves for hiding behind their wall, and the SW would not because there is no wall they can claim cover behind.

If you put it on a base, and classified it as "area terrain" then youd get saves simply for being on the base, and hence 'in the covered area' so to speak. That is the basing reasoning he is referring to.

As for me, Ive never seen multistory buildings such as that classed as area terrain all the way up the floors. People have always played los to the upper floors 'as is' and so used the rules as people have stated here. But just because Ive not experienced it doesnt mean you couldnt do it that way if you wanted.

Just be sure that you talk over the terrain with your opponent before the game, as the rule book suggests, so that both people are clear on what things are before the game starts. That way everyone can have a fun time with no surprises.

All Ruins are area and dificult terrain, cover saves for everyone. (pg 82 RUINS: THE BASICS). Adding a base only impacrs the ground floor. As the targets are not on the ground floor (standing on the wood of the table) they are in area terrain. If the ruins were on a base then the ground floor would also be area and difficult terrain.

Archived