Vulkan He'stan Conversion WIP

n00b in need

Hey everybody, i just wanted to post a pic of my attempt at converting a Vulkan He'stan, please remember that its a work in progress and still needs alittle work but any thing you guys think i could do to make it look cooler (mostly with the weapon or to make Artificer Armour) would be much appreciated!!!

and here it is: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads...540_1142294.jpg

med_gallery_51278_4540_1142294.jpg

ah ha! thank you! i was really trying to figure that out for like 20 mins last night, of course it'd be an obvious button that i completely missed lol

To make this conversion i started with a Grey Knight Justicar, gave him a spear instead of the sword, took the cape power pack from the original OOP Dark Angel's Company Master model, and then filed off the barrels of the Grey Knight storm bolter and attached a dragon's head bit i found in the bitz box at the local hobby store. i am currently working on finding a flamer so i can put the nozzle from it in the mouth of the dragon, but i'm afraid that it might make the gauntlet a little too long... what you guys think?

p.s. working on getting more pics of this model and a couple others i have!

First off - nice conversion.

If you're going for a He'stan I'd definitely file off the book around the models chest - file it flat and replace it with a skull or a simple freehand instead of trying to remove the whole chain.

You could whip him off of the base, add some sand beneath the feat but leave a narrow channel or two free of sand, once dry mix up some orange paint + PVA and pour it into the channel, once thats set use reds/yellows to create a lava effect - easy way of tying the model to the Salamanders. You also need some kind of Salamander icon on there, I'm not sure if you can get a plastic/metal one but at the very least a transfer on the leg armour (only flat section I can see).

That head you have is from the Chaos Vehicle Sprue, I've used it a few times to replace smoke stacks or gun barrels. I agree that it would look too long if you added a flamer barrel, it's about as long as it can be already. If you sliced the head 1mm behind the eyes and then forced the flamer barrel between the teeth you could get it to look more suitable than just sticking it on/in there as it is.

Nice work so far!

Fake edit: You could modify a stock Flamer and attach it to the upper surface of his spear, use guitar wire to run promethium lines down to his armour, behind the cloak. Not sure what you'd do with the bolter arm though.

yeah i plan on fileing the sword part off the book symbols but plan on leaving the book and just gonna say its to represent the Tome of Fire, i'm trying to get it to look as much like the actual model as i can so i'm going to cut the flame/torch off of the Legion of the Damned heavy flamer power pack, cause it looks like the one on Vulkan's model, and slap that on top of the power pack/cape. i'm also considering taking a Dark Eldar helmet plume and cutting it just right and throw that on the back of the spear and painting it flame colored because it already looks like roaring flames. i'll post a pic once i have it cut up and painted to see what you guys think.

also i don't know if anyone has seen the picture of vulkan on the GW website but does anyone know how they painted that spear? or any ideas on how i should paint said spear on my model? when working on my Space Wolves i ended up mixing Mithril Silver, Shining Gold, and Enchanted Blue and got a really cool metallic bright-ish blue and was thinking about doing something like that with maybe orange or yellow or even red... i guess i just don't know what to do with the spear lol.

oh and last thought, what do you guys think of the cape and loincloth colours (the outside of the cape is the same as the loin cloth and the inside is orange) i was thinking that i might be able to paint it black and paint a flame thing on it like they have the Salamander's Company Champion in the Codex: Space Marines on pg. 111, the only problem is i have no idea how to paint flames lol but need to learn for my Salamanders anyways because their shoulder's need a flame on them instead of a squad symbol.... help? keep it as is or any ideas on what to chane about it? lol thanks in advance guys!

A nice and simple conversion, works out pretty well though.

Try going over the green with a wash ( can't remember the name of the green one >< ) or dark angels ink. That would tone it down a bit as I think it's a little too bright right now, and bring up the details of the mini.

Some highlights on the dragons head, a wash and some more highlights, and my friend you'll be all set :)

Cheers!

Archived